• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with beer

15 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

Hi.  I want to make a beef in beer pie - what sort of beer would work best, that would be available from an English supermarket.

It depends a bit on your preferences, but in general a full-bodied and only lightly hopped beer would be a good choice. So, a brown ale would do fine - Newcastle brown ale is available near you ?

BTW, one doesn't really need actual beer for most cooking purposes. I use malt syrup for cooking, breads and pastry. It lasts for ever, doesn't have hop flavors which I personally don't care for in food items, and also doesn't add liquids to pastry and breads. It makes for amazing mashed potatoes and an awesome topping for vanilla ice cream (with some pretzel pieces).

~ Shai N.

32 minutes ago, shain said:

BTW, one doesn't really need actual beer for most cooking purposes. I use malt syrup for cooking, breads and pastry. It lasts for ever, doesn't have hop flavors which I personally don't care for in food items, and also doesn't add liquids to pastry and breads. It makes for amazing mashed potatoes and an awesome topping for vanilla ice cream (with some pretzel pieces).

Yeah, but we are talking about cooking WITH beer, an ancient and worthy tradition. I have no idea what your point is.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Two popular dishes round here are a) 啤酒鸭 or beer duck. This is spicy duck on the bone, braised in guess what - local beer. I love it. There are various recipes on the interwebs, but I suggest the Guilin version.

The other is 啤酒鱼, beer fish eaten by most visitors to China's most horrible tourist trap, Yangshuo near Guilin. It is carp from the local river braised with bones in a spicy tomato-ey sauce. My dear friend's grandma cooked me a better version in her village about 7 miles from the backpackers ghetto!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

29 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

There are recipes for batter that contains beer... and deep fry, delicious for fish. 

Really? I think most people know that. I always make batter with beer. Have been doing so for decades. It's no secret!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yeah, but we are talking about cooking WITH beer, an ancient and worthy tradition. I have no idea what your point is.

Sharing information that people might find useful. I have nothing against cooking with beer, but I find raw malt to be underused.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:44 PM, liuzhou said:

Really? I think most people know that. I always make batter with beer. Have been doing so for decades. It's no secret!

I only used beer to cook chorizo. I had fish and chips when I visited London, and I thought they were joking when they told me that the secret is beer.