Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alex

Halloween!

Recommended Posts

On 10/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, chileheadmike said:

When my two daughters were little, the neighbor dads would take all the kids out to trick or treat. It was usually pretty cold. There were usually four dads and a bunch of kids. We'd load up  a little red wagon with beer and pull that around while the kids hit every house within a square mile. It was usually cold enough that the beer stayed cold.  We'd even hand out some beers to passing dads as well.  Probably illegal but... well... Good times. 

 

Before they started the “trunk or treat” thing here a few years ago - we had the dads (sometimes moms) come by with their kiddos in golf carts, on 4 wheelers or side by sides ... always cracked me up ... it’s a small neighborhood- so everyone shared their ... ummm ... provisions 😁


I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CatIsHungry said:

 

I am, too ... In our family we always called a Soda, Soda never Pop or Dr Pepper or Coke and the list goes endlessly on (but, my mom emigrated here from S Korea - spoke six languages - some things were easier for her to translate to English blah blah blah) ...

 

Mr Cat, however - opposite - and the first time I heard him pronounce “Popeye” (as in Popeye The Sailor Man) - I couldn’t quit laughing for 3 days 🤷🏻‍♀️ (he pronounces it “pie-pie” ... I don’t know - maybe you had to be there 😁

 

My relatives in Ontario, Canada  (?) bottled "pop". Retail store  was called the Pop Shop. Not a California term at all. I think we were already inducted into the brand name game. Oh my Aussie bil had a moment with a waitress who asked "soup or salad?" - he said yes - cuz he heard "super salad". Still makes me laugh. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, heidih said:

 

My relatives in Ontario, Canada  (?) bottled "pop". Retail store  was called the Pop Shop. Not a California term at all. I think we were already inducted into the brand name game. Oh my Aussie bil had a moment with a waitress who asked "soup or salad?" - he said yes - cuz he heard "super salad". Still makes me laugh. 

 

That would be "Shoppe," not Shop. :)

 

The brand was quite popular when I was a kid, and got revived a decade or so ago. Definitely, the beverage has always been "pop" in Canada (at least Atlantic Canada, I can't vouch for the rest) for at least my lifetime. The term "soda" only came into vogue in the 80s, and was reserved for the putatively Italian-style beverages made with plain soda water and a squirt of flavored syrup. Lately it is also applied (sometimes) to those unsweetened soda waters infused with fruit flavorings.

  • Like 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my (American) colleagues shared this earlier today on FB:
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chromedome said:

 

That would be "Shoppe," not Shop. :)

 

The brand was quite popular when I was a kid, and got revived a decade or so ago. Definitely, the beverage has always been "pop" in Canada (at least Atlantic Canada, I can't vouch for the rest) for at least my lifetime. The term "soda" only came into vogue in the 80s, and was reserved for the putatively Italian-style beverages made with plain soda water and a squirt of flavored syrup. Lately it is also applied (sometimes) to those unsweetened soda waters infused with fruit flavorings.

 

It's Coke. 

 

The full-sugar, full-caffiene model is Co-Cola. Anything else is Coke.

 

"What kind of Coke you want?" "Let me have a Sprite." (Or, in the alternative, "I'll take a Pepsi.")

 

 


Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a little early to post this but what the heck...

 

"Hershey’s Will Have A Ton Of New Halloween Candy This Year Including Reese’s Cups With Green Creme"

Quote

Hershey's shared with us an early look at its Halloween line for this year and they did not disappoint. I have had bags of these in my home for about a week now and let me tell you...it's going to be a happy Halloween.

 

  • Like 2

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

 

Phew!  The green is only a sort of tinted white chocolate on the outside. I was afraid there was going to be a green peanut butter filling inside!

And sign me up for a tasting of the (likely awful artificial) strawberry filled Vampire Kisses - they look quite deadly!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ack artificial strawbery favoring makes me gag probably cuz son had a bit of an allergy to it as a child (not pretty). To me Halloween is nostalgia so I prefer the standards if indulging. I do like the trend in last (well many) years to the snack or mini versions of standards. I'm thinkin this year will be very very different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

Phew!  The green is only a sort of tinted white chocolate on the outside. I was afraid there was going to be a green peanut butter filling inside!

And sign me up for a tasting of the (likely awful artificial) strawberry filled Vampire Kisses - they look quite deadly!

To be honest, I can't think of a more toxic idea than Reese's that are either green peanut butter OR green white chocolate. If someone gave me that in my pillow I would toilet paper their tree. Well, maybe not in the time of a pandemic.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Toliver Not sure if Reese's makes "Halloween" candy in the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. But the dark chocolate cups do come out in miniature size (Halloween-friendly). If you haven't tried the dark chocolate Reese's, give it a try (frozen or refrigerated is even better, IMO).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no Halloweeners are coming to my door

 

this year

 

w/o a vaccination card.

 

it used to be called a Yellow Card

 

or

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Jaune

 

of course

 

Swells are trying to do away w the WHO etc

 

no Vac's 

 

no candy.

 

Big Sugar has been officially notified.

 

they are trembling on their Canes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rotuts said:

no Halloweeners are coming to my door

 

this year

 

w/o a vaccination card.

 

it used to be called a Yellow Card

 

or

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Jaune

 

 

I hadn't thought about that.  Maybe we can toss candies out of the second floor windows - like a stationary parade.  😟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@Toliver Not sure if Reese's makes "Halloween" candy in the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. But the dark chocolate cups do come out in miniature size (Halloween-friendly). If you haven't tried the dark chocolate Reese's, give it a try (frozen or refrigerated is even better, IMO).

I don't know if I have had dark chocolate made by whoever makes Reese's,  but if it's Hershey it isn't anything to write home about. Trader Joe's makes mini cups with dark chocolate and although the chocolate is excellent,  the PB filling is way too sweet for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After July 4th, I feel like the year just flies by, like the downward slope of a roller coaster.  Pretty soon it'll be Labor Day and then...Halloween will look very different this year, I agree.  I feel like I want to set up a trough so I can line up candy or treats (like snack bags of chips or doritos) so the kids don't have to stick their hands into a communal bowl, and their parents won't have to worry about it getting handed to their kids.  We don't get a lot of kids these days; when we moved into this house 25 years ago, we went through two or three huge bags of candy on Halloween night.  Now we're lucky to go through half a small bag. :(

 

We didn't call the night before anything special, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly this year may be more like  Dia de Los Muertes   I  do like the tradition. Very big here in Los Angeles.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...