• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

4 minutes ago, bpwhistler said:

This looks nice. I'm looking for something that will make smooth and creamy. I'm not interested in latte art...but I'm looking for that consistency. Is this unit capable of that texture...very little froth?

Good question.  I suppose that's up to user ability, milk used, etc. And I may have used it half a dozen times since I bought it over a year ago...since then, I've traded down on my Silvia by giving it to a nephew and replacing it with a Breville Infuser machine, which can certainly make nice steamed milk.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've had my Breville Milk Cafe for about 7 years without a problem - used every morning - only problem is that it takes about 4 minutes to complete - induction heater and the frothing disc is magnetically spun

p

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, palo said:

I've had my Breville Milk Cafe for about 7 years without a problem - used every morning - only problem is that it takes about 4 minutes to complete - induction heater and the frothing disc is magnetically spun

p

I've had a Breville Milk Cafe for many years.  Love it!  Mine feels bulletproof quality. And its magic how the discs spin.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, bpwhistler said:

IDo you have any knowledge of a highly rated induction adapter plate? There seems to be no firm 'this is the best' reviews out there. Just a lot of conflicting opinions. This post always has great info, so I decided to give it a try!

I'm speculating a bit, but my guess is there is probably not a universal answer here due to the different element diameters of various induction cooktops. One that works well on a small element portable burner might not work well on a large element cooktop, and vice versa.

Edited by dtremit (log)

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

I'm speculating a bit, but my guess is there is probably not a universal answer here due to the different element diameters of various induction cooktops. One that works well on a small element portable burner might not work well on a large element cooktop, and vice versa.

Thanks...I think this is probably the truth. I've seen multiple YouTube videos where it was being used on a variety of induction cooktops. I like the unit. I'm ordering it, and will try it on my CF. If it doesn't work, I'll get an inexpensive electric cooktop just for this. Thanks

Regardless of what plate you use, you'll lose the preciseness and accuracy of the Control Freak... it'll never go above the set temperature but there will be loss of heat from the plate to the cooking vessel. There will never be 100% contact between the two. Now, how much? Depends on the plate and the cooking vessel. It may be pretty minimal. 

Good thing about the Control Freak though is you can learn what works best with your plate and cooking vessel and then program in the temperature. Or just remember the temperature required like I do these days.

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

A shot in the dark here, but has anyone taken apart the cable (I have the Canadian one with the NEMA 5-20P cord)?

I want to chop off the end and replace it with a right-angle plug -- the original plug sticks out so much it seems like a hazard (our outlets are about waist height), and was wondering if anyone knew the gauge of the wires inside the stock cable.

4 hours ago, kelvie said:

A shot in the dark here, but has anyone taken apart the cable (I have the Canadian one with the NEMA 5-20P cord)?

I want to chop off the end and replace it with a right-angle plug -- the original plug sticks out so much it seems like a hazard (our outlets are about waist height), and was wondering if anyone knew the gauge of the wires inside the stock cable.

Don't be attempting surgery - use something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWENWILS-Extension-Profile-Grounded-Flexible/dp/B0891XFDJ2/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2EZ7KZRPQPXBY&keywords=right-angle+plug&qid=1652149968&sprefix=right-angle+plug%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-16

They have a few varieties to suit your needs and esthetics.

p

• Like 1

15 hours ago, palo said:

Oh believe me, it's reallt difficult to find something like that (90 degree NEMA 5-20p to NEMA 5-20r adapter).

I even have the parts to make my onw, but figured I may as well just put the 90-degree plug I bought directly on the thing.

I wanted to make sure the wires fit before I started though. I had a couple of engineer friends tell me this isn't a rotten idea.

I wonder why they put the 20 amp plug on it?

The device is rated @ 1800 watts @ 120 volts which equates to 15 amps - most modern kitchens have 20 amp circuits with standard sockets.

To increase its perceived exclusivity?

p

7 hours ago, palo said:

I wonder why they put the 20 amp plug on it?

The device is rated @ 1800 watts @ 120 volts which equates to 15 amps - most modern kitchens have 20 amp circuits with standard sockets.

To increase its perceived exclusivity?

p

In general, breakers are rated to only work at continuous 80% loads, so this is to discourage you from pulling 15A on a 15A breaker (which is 100% load), assuming it actually does draw 15A.

• 2 months later...
I’m trying to do crispy fried garlic and crispy fried shallots on my Control Freak, any idea what temperature is best to accomplish this?

Is it possible to set a temp that will fry and crisp and not burn if I got distracted?

1 hour ago, yimyammer said:
I’m trying to do crispy fried garlic and crispy fried shallots on my Control Freak, any idea what temperature is best to accomplish this?

Is it possible to set a temp that will fry and crisp and not burn if I got distracted?

@CanadianHomeChef, who started this topic, has some good temp guidelines here which don’t specifically mention crispy fried garlic or shallots but may give you good starting points. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

@CanadianHomeChef, who started this topic, has some good temp guidelines here which don’t specifically mention crispy fried garlic or shallots but may give you good starting points. 

thank you, thats where I started

I'm being lazy, I'll start testing temps and see if I can find a sweet spot

9 hours ago, yimyammer said:

thank you, thats where I started

I'm being lazy, I'll start testing temps and see if I can find a sweet spot

I'd keep the temps on teh low side.  The key to crispy fried garlic/shallots is to boil all the water out slowly - once that's done, it starts browning fast.  If you use too high of a heat, the outside will brown before it's completely dry.  I'd probably try 275F or so to start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have a question. I just cooked for under 2-3 times via Breville Polyscience Control Freak. Then the power button keeps blinking  over and over (again). The manual and diagnosis don't show this error. Does anyone have the same problem? How can we fix it? 

BF243BF6-2D9B-449C-9451-53A23B71972C_AdobeExpress.gif.9b70a7c93042d97a633efb8c484d5645.gif

I haven’t tried to plug in USB into the unit for update the software. So I don’t think it blinks because of this. 
also I am looking for the software update for trying fix the problem. I cannot find the firmware from internet. 

I have a firmware update that was given to me back in 2018. Since then, they've stopped providing updates.

I would say use at your own risk though because there are several models of the Control Freak (mainly based on country of origin I think) and I'm not sure if the update is universal.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

• 3 weeks later...