• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

CanadianHomeChef

That pic from the Prodigy manual could be done in the Control Freak, it's just software if you have the right sensors, which the CF does. In fact, not having a CF yet, that is the kind of thing I thought it also did in addition to temperature control. 

23 hours ago, TheAvidHomeChef said:

I'm curious what are you using to power it when you are camping? I'd love to take it out for picnic/BBQ in parks. But I don't have a RV or vehicle with outlet to plug in.

I know some people who use portable battery-inverter units (Anker, Goal Zero, Jacker, etc.) to power cooking appliances.  I haven't tried that, but that's probably the way I'd go if I were cooking out "in the wild."  Just make sure that your equipment will start up if there's no ground line present (for portable inverters which don't have a ground line), and that it'll handle 1800W of sustained output.

22 hours ago, TheAvidHomeChef said:

My guess is they don't know the position of the product. It seems like they were still trying to market it as a commercial kitchen product. But their screen and UI looks a lot more like it's for home cooks.

It seems like everyone with Control Freaks also all have stovetops at home. Hmm...wonder why Breville hasn't thought about that.

One big pro of the Control Freak is that it's truly commercial quality.  Most residential gear isn't designed to run constantly in the kitchen.  And I'm not sure if Breville has figured out a way to downsize the build quality to right-size the price for residential users without both skimping so much that people are disappointed and also hurting sales of their commercial units.

I would love to see a large-format cooktop with several Control Freak elements built into it (especially if one of those elements had a larger coil and higher wattage).  I'm guessing that the price point on that would be north of 5000 USD (and more than a Thermador Freedom) and would have a very limited residential market.  But I would love to see/have one.  And if Breville could figure out how to combine the temperature sensors with the pervasive mini-coil design of the Thermador Freedom cooktops, I'd certainly save up to buy one.

I suspect we'll see quite a bit of competition ("innovation") in this arena, but not for another several years in the U.S. due to the Breville patent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! 
The unit I had originally delivered to me was defective but I did get to try some things.
I tried doing deep frying but the stove does not handle dips in temperature very well. How is your experience with deep frying and frying? 
Also for guys in Europe, what is your software and how did you get updates?

21 hours ago, Sad Dean said:

Hi! 
The unit I had originally delivered to me was defective but I did get to try some things.
I tried doing deep frying but the stove does not handle dips in temperature very well. How is your experience with deep frying and frying? 
Also for guys in Europe, what is your software and how did you get updates?

Are you using the EU/AU version of the Control Freak (2400W) or the US (1800W) version?

Are you using the "probe oil" mode when frying and deep frying?

The Control Freak is a medium-wattage, medium-size induction coil.  Medium wattage and medium-size coils are plenty for a lot of applications, but some pots are physically too large and some applications require too much wattage for the unit.

I have a 3800W Vollrath induction burner for times when I need to do serious frying in oil.  I haven't used it for that yet because I don't fry very often, but that's one of the reason I got a "big" induction burner to complement my Control Freaks.

18 hours ago, afs said:

Are you using the EU/AU version of the Control Freak (2400W) or the US (1800W) version?

Are you using the "probe oil" mode when frying and deep frying?

The Control Freak is a medium-wattage, medium-size induction coil.  Medium wattage and medium-size coils are plenty for a lot of applications, but some pots are physically too large and some applications require too much wattage for the unit.

I have a 3800W Vollrath induction burner for times when I need to do serious frying in oil.  I haven't used it for that yet because I don't fry very often, but that's one of the reason I got a "big" induction burner to complement my Control Freaks.

I use European 2400w. I do have induction with a bigger coil and 3500w as well but it is a little disappointing that control freak is having trouble with it.

Has anyone noticed any noise coming from the back bottom of the unit even when in idle? Its high pitch electric noise somewhat resembles a coil whine. I have received 2 units in Europe and both have this issue. However, I tried one control freak in the shop it was not that loud but maybe the noise of the shop was covering it up. 

On 7/4/2023 at 5:22 AM, Sad Dean said:

I use European 2400w. I do have induction with a bigger coil and 3500w as well but it is a little disappointing that control freak is having trouble with it.

Yeah, it's important to know that the Control Freak has a medium-sized induction coil and is medium wattage.  The Control Freak actually has one of the larger "medium"-sized coils that I've seen in the market, but it's not meant for big pans (>26cm according to the spec) or for applications which require high wattages.  No matter how efficient they make the unit, it's impossible for the unit to deliver more than the wattage being pulled from the wall.

If Breville would ship a 3600W Control Freak XL with a large coil, I'd be first in line to buy one.

16 hours ago, Sad Dean said:

Has anyone noticed any noise coming from the back bottom of the unit even when in idle? Its high pitch electric noise somewhat resembles a coil whine. I have received 2 units in Europe and both have this issue. However, I tried one control freak in the shop it was not that loud but maybe the noise of the shop was covering it up. 

I just checked mine.  When the unit is powered on but the temperature is not set, I can hear a little fan noise if I put my ear right up against the unit.  If I set a temperature I can hear the far whir up a little more--but I have to be pretty close to notice it.  I don't hear any coil whine, and I'm pretty sensitive to and at least slightly annoyed by that sort of thing, but if there is some then the low fan noise may be louder or more prominent to me. 

When you say idle, do you mean "turned on but with no pan on the unit"?  Your hearing might be even more sensitive than mine, in which case congratulations and commiserations at the same time.  The unit doesn't have to deliver huge amounts of current to a pan immediately upon first detection, but it does need to deliver some, so I presume that it has some FETs powered up and coils cyclically activated and some of that circuitry could make a little noise.  That might be something which Breville could tune in an updated version or even in firmware.  If it bothers you, I'd be sure to drop them a line and give them your feedback.

Please note that I have 1800W US units, so technically we're comparing two different apples here.  Has anyone with a 2400W EU/ANZ unit noticeable experienced coil whine when no pan is on the unit or when the unit is in stopped mode (with or without a pan on it)?

1 hour ago, afs said:

Yeah, it's important to know that the Control Freak has a medium-sized induction coil and is medium wattage.  The Control Freak actually has one of the larger "medium"-sized coils that I've seen in the market, but it's not meant for big pans (>26cm according to the spec) or for applications which require high wattages.  No matter how efficient they make the unit, it's impossible for the unit to deliver more than the wattage being pulled from the wall.

If Breville would ship a 3600W Control Freak XL with a large coil, I'd be first in line to buy one.

I just checked mine.  When the unit is powered on but the temperature is not set, I can hear a little fan noise if I put my ear right up against the unit.  If I set a temperature I can hear the far whir up a little more--but I have to be pretty close to notice it.  I don't hear any coil whine, and I'm pretty sensitive to and at least slightly annoyed by that sort of thing, but if there is some then the low fan noise may be louder or more prominent to me. 

When you say idle, do you mean "turned on but with no pan on the unit"?  Your hearing might be even more sensitive than mine, in which case congratulations and commiserations at the same time.  The unit doesn't have to deliver huge amounts of current to a pan immediately upon first detection, but it does need to deliver some, so I presume that it has some FETs powered up and coils cyclically activated and some of that circuitry could make a little noise.  That might be something which Breville could tune in an updated version or even in firmware.  If it bothers you, I'd be sure to drop them a line and give them your feedback.

Please note that I have 1800W US units, so technically we're comparing two different apples here.  Has anyone with a 2400W EU/ANZ unit noticeable experienced coil whine when no pan is on the unit or when the unit is in stopped mode (with or without a pan on it)?

The noise is there no matter what. Maybe people who rewired the unit for European market did something wrong. Nobody wants to provide me with software updates. I texted sage(breville in Europe), but they assumed that my control freak is a coffee machine. They really do not do any service in Europe on these units. 

20 hours ago, Sad Dean said:

The noise is there no matter what. Maybe people who rewired the unit for European market did something wrong. Nobody wants to provide me with software updates. I texted sage(breville in Europe), but they assumed that my control freak is a coffee machine. They really do not do any service in Europe on these units. 

I believe Breville is an Australian company.  Their first market is 240V/50Hz, and the ANZ and EU units are probably identical except for brand (Sage in the EU, Breville in AU/NZ).  The US units are technically an international secondary market for them, but the US market is so big that I suppose they may focus on it first.  Their main patent on the machine is also a US patent (perhaps imported from AU).

I've heard that they do manufacture them in a few places though, so perhaps there's a slight difference in revision or manufacturing process/parts.

I would ping Breville HQ in Australia and see if they have any thoughts.  This may honestly be just something that's within specs (just like how a lot of other computers, scooters, etc. have a small amount of coil whine), but it would be good for them to know that it's bothering one of their customers so they at least know to look at it with the next revision.

On 7/8/2023 at 10:32 AM, Sad Dean said:

Mine have high pitch sound as well but only when it's turned on and with 3ply cookwares. It's quite annoying to be honest. But I learned to get used to it. When the unit is off, I only hear cooling fans. 

I don't know how it works for the European market. But do they have household warranty for it? 

16 hours ago, TheAvidHomeChef said:

Mine have high pitch sound as well but only when it's turned on and with 3ply cookwares. It's quite annoying to be honest. But I learned to get used to it. When the unit is off, I only hear cooling fans. 

When you say high pitch sound, do you mean a whining sound?  Or an intermittent buzzing sound, like a bug zapper?

I get the intermittent bug zapper sound on some thinner or smaller cookware sometimes, if I have the intensity turned up to "high/fast".  That's a vibration/resonance artifact: the pan can't take that much power that quickly.  When I use induction-compatible copper I can heat up at the fastest rate on all but my smallest cookware.

A lot of people seem to think that the buzzing is just an irritating part of induction cooking.  Sometimes their pans actually dance, shifting around due to the vibration.  They don't realize that the wattage (power delivery rate) is too high for the lightweight/small pan.

I assume in your case you actually meant whining which is interesting.  I'll have to pull out some All-Clad and give that a whirl on one of the units here sometime (and if I can reproduce it, perhaps also on another model of induction cooktop).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there any chance this "high pitch sound" is a simple 60-cycle hum from being plugged in? Our Keurig coffeemaker has such a hum any time it's plugged in, even though it's turned off. My husband can't hear it, but it annoys me enough that I leave the darned coffeemaker unplugged except when in use.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 7:50 AM, afs said:

get the intermittent bug zapper sound on some thinner or smaller cookware sometimes, if I have the intensity turned up to "high/fast"

This is exactly what I got with thinner cookware 5 ply or less. On the other hand, my Demerye 7 ply never makes any vibration noise. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Big sale. From the email:

The Control Freak induction cooktop is now 20% off! This is your chance to get your hands on the most precise and versatile induction cooktop on the market. The Control Freak gives you unprecedented control of pan temperature and heat up speed. You can dial in precise temperatures to cook with consistent and repeatable results. This type of control makes the execution of techniques more efficient and hassle free.

At JB Prince

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Is there a crowd-sourced temperature chart or spreadsheet or wiki or something with common temperatures so we can share?

For example, I found 200 C (pan temp) works great for a stainless steel whirley pop for making popcorn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kelvie said:

Is there a crowd-sourced temperature chart or spreadsheet or wiki or something with common temperatures so we can share?

For example, I found 200 C (pan temp) works great for a stainless steel whirley pop for making popcorn.

Have you looked at this one that @CanadianHomeChef shared earlier in this topic?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The Control Freak is 20% off at Breville's online shop right now ($1200). 

I have a unique coupon that actually stacks and brings it down to $900. I gotta sleep on it, but this may be the year I pull the trigger. I doubt I'll find a better price. 

EDIT: I did it. Now, where are cool Control Freak user groups and resources, besides this thread? 

Edited by horseflesh
Wheee (log)
  • Like 1

Got my Control Freak!

I have just barely plugged it in but it's obvious it is going to require a very different way of doing things. 

What do you set if you want water to boil ASAP? Maximum speed and 212F / 100C? 

What if you want water  just barely simmering? Technically, that water is still at 100C right? 

I can imagine the true target temps would depend on your pan too, and how it conducts heat to the central spot. 

Edit: I see it prints guides like "simmer" and "high" so for crude tasks like boiling and simmering you can just go my the overall percentage?

Edited by horseflesh (log)
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 2:49 PM, horseflesh said:

Got my Control Freak!

I have just barely plugged it in but it's obvious it is going to require a very different way of doing things. 

What do you set if you want water to boil ASAP? Maximum speed and 212F / 100C? 

What if you want water  just barely simmering? Technically, that water is still at 100C right? 

I can imagine the true target temps would depend on your pan too, and how it conducts heat to the central spot. 

Edit: I see it prints guides like "simmer" and "high" so for crude tasks like boiling and simmering you can just go my the overall percentage?

Congratulations! I don't have a Control Freak, so I can't advise you on settings. I can, however, answer your question about simmer temperature: no, it isn't 100C. I learned, from reading and my own experimentation, that a low simmer is as cool as 85C. It also depends on your altitude, just as boiling point does. You can read the discussion in full, here.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 12/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, horseflesh said:

Got my Control Freak!

Congrats on your new gear! 

This temp table made by @CanadianHomeChef  doesn't address your specific query about simmering water, but may be helpful for other things. I keep it bookmarked!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2