• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Have a good recipe for Dirty Rice?

TdeV

I've enjoyed the dish a couple times in New Orleans. The only time I can recall making it was with a box of Zatarain's Dirty Rice,  finely chopped chicken livers, some chopped gizzards for textural contrast, and.....the meat pulled off some long simmered turkey necks. I used the resulting broth as the liquid. Pork sausage meat is in some recipes and I'm good with that but the sound of recipes using ground beef turn me off. What style have you enjoyed?

• Like 1

I think chicken neck meat sounds good, plus the liver and gizzards. Necks & gizzards simmered to make a tasty broth. The Cajun seaoning is often purchased along the lines of Tony Chachere's blend. And the holy trinity of celery/onion/bell pepper is a must of course.  I don't like the BP's but can somehow deal with them in such dishes (?) Have fun with it :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Only time I made it was with Zatarain's which is pre-seasoned. Probably more cost effective to buy a Cajun spice mix. I used to get Tony's at 99 cent store!

I haven’t made a bad recipe from Paul Prudhomme.

on his website there is a recipe for dirty rice but it uses one of his commercial spice mixes.

the recipe is the same as in his Louisiana Kitchen cookbook.

you can sub this mix for his commercial mix

2 t cayenne

1.5 t salt ( omit any salt in the website recipe)

1.5 t ground black pepper

1.25 t sweet paprika 

0.5 t dried thyme

0.5 t dried oregano

• Like 1

As with many things Cajun, Chef Paul is a good place to start.

Edit: @Okanagancook  beat me to it.

I'd only add that if you're new to Prudhomme, be aware that he is, let's say, assertive in his seasoning. Personally I love it, but some might find it to be a bit much. When I'm cooking for such diners, I start with half the amount of cayenne and black pepper called for, reserving the rest to add later, if desired.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:51 PM, Katie Meadow said:

When it comes to celery however, I can't imagine life without it. How would you make egg salad or tuna salad or chicken salad or potato salad? I have never in my life eaten celery with peanut butter, though, and I'm not about to start now. 

It would be much better egg, tuna, chicken or potato salad. But then, I don't put raw onion (except scallions) in any of the above, either.

Celery is for stirring your bloody Mary, and then laying aside on the napkin.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I think chicken neck meat sounds good, plus the liver and gizzards. Necks & gizzards simmered to make a tasty broth. The Cajun seaoning is often purchased along the lines of Tony Chachere's blend. And the holy trinity of celery/onion/bell pepper is a must of course.  I don't like the BP's but can somehow deal with them in such dishes (?) Have fun with it :)

That'll do it. As I loathe bell peppers, I sub sweet banana peppers.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com