• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

Crystal Shawanda isn't playing?

That's just the Little Current schedule - Crystal is a Wiki girl so might be playing at the Pow Wow which happens the same weekend. 

image.thumb.png.187d060eb69182736017477c1af6c372.png

Actually doesn't look like she's here this year.

I'm counting on the "Alcohol and Substance free event" to make my ER shifts this weekend much more civilized that they have been in previous years!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tom Cochrane is a has been - say is isn't so!

I wouldn't have thought so... but he was playing a blueberry festival in a tiny little town just slightly south of nowhere. The year before Tom Cochrane was Honeymoon Suite. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

It used to include a concert/street dance complete with beer garden that always brought in bands/musicians that were big in their day but are now reduced to the festival and club circuit. It also brought in a lot of people and their money.

I think of that as the "Spinal Tap moment," from the scene near the end of the movie where they're second-billed to (IIRC) a kids' puppet show.

When I was living in Edmonton there was a glorious example of that...A new chiropractic clinic opened on Jasper Ave, right downtown, and the chiropractor brought in Trooper to play at the grand opening. This won't mean anything to non-Canadians, because Trooper didn't get much cross-border airplay, but in the 70s and the beginning of the 80s they were among out biggest homegrown hitmakers.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Good morning. ’Tis a dull, dreary day for the start of Haweater festivities.  The smoke from the forest fires on the mainland is making its presence known again.

Kerry’s breakfast was the inspiration for mine. 

E2E54769-D56E-4C42-B30F-24DD88B663DE.thumb.jpeg.b9e89e327b91cb76202f1a0dc933ff16.jpeg

Cheddar Smoky with a fried kumato and an egg. 

Kerry is on call and slowly edging her way toward the hospital via the bank and the post office. Today, again, she will be shadowed by a medical student. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks like the skies are clearing for the Haweater celebrants!  

I thought I would make an Asian style salad as part of dinner tonight.  Thought I saw some bean sprouts in the grocery store. Wrong! Must’ve been up in Mindemoya.  So we are going to settle for some broccoli slaw.  Definitely not the same but should provide a bit of crunch.

BUT. Kerry told me I was a dreamer when I added shallots to the shopping list. But look!  Front and centre. Gourmet shallots.

Shopping and cooking are always such an adventure up here.  First you learn to compromise because even the things you consider most basic are unavailable and then you learn to beam with joy when you find things like shishito peppers! No such peppers on the Island this year but they were last  and we did see some very sad specimens in Espanola. 

3BE507E7-1BFE-477C-B3A8-B072AE8A308A.thumb.jpeg.294582de14e5e3940c1c04ccdccb2d38.jpeg

Settling for supermarket eggs until we can make a run out to Pike Lake Farm — perhaps tomorrow.  

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Wow !

trying to be Polite Here :

3 litre of Sunflower Oil ?

Wow again !

:/

well

to Each Their Own !

suprise.gif.2c4ec05e6ec725b9c8be936090e9e4b0.gif

Allow me to explain - 1 litre $5.99 - 3 liters on sale $5.99. How could I not - we might do tempura again now. Wish I’d bought the potato chip shooter at Value Village!

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Well , if that's the way you view it

fine by me

-_-

Im am hoping that the 5 litre was not $ 4.99.

just saying now

nothing more.

sometimes old fashioned knife skills might help 

steak Frittes ?

Bleu ?

[ for the steak ?}

there is some good news here

ref.: AltonBown  deep fried Turkey 

the oil is organic !

you can dump the left-overs  at a ' neighbors !   { during the night }

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Allow me to explain - 1 litre $5.99 - 3 liters on sale $5.99. How could I not - we might do tempura again now. Wish I’d bought the potato chip shooter at Value Village!

Is there an easy way to dispose of the used oil there? Can it be re-used in some way? 

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

When I was living in Edmonton there was a glorious example of that...A new chiropractic clinic opened on Jasper Ave, right downtown, and the chiropractor brought in Trooper to play at the grand opening.

They've played our blueberry festival as well. :D

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Wow !

trying to be Polite Here :

3 litre of Sunflower Oil ?

Wow again !

Prepare to have your socks blown right off... I buy my cooking/fryer oil in 16 liter containers through our supplier at work. Just over $20 if I remember correctly, I don't have to buy them often so it's been a while. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

38 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Wow +++

not to be a kill-joy

I hope it does not oxidize for you and yu keep it as cold as possilbe

for cooking .

If it starts to get a little funky before the end, I toss it and buy another. Rarely happens and when it does, there's never much left. I usually do a couple of changes in my deep fryer during the time a container lasts which knocks a good dent in it. Plus, I share. If my older girl needs cooking oil, she just comes over with a container and grabs some.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Tri2Cook

Nice !

do you contribute the ' used but tasty left-over oil '

somewhere where it might add to the Local soil ?

after a bit ?

why not ?

I keep an empty 16 liter oil container in my shed and dump used oil in it until it's full then take it to work where it gets picked up by the people who pick up waste oil from all of the local restaurants. If you're going to next ask me what they do with it, I'll save you some trouble... I've never asked them.

• Like 2

AD6D9774-A095-4782-8403-58522AA0982F.thumb.jpeg.7f5913d8f021128dbdc25ee3ed5a86b3.jpeg

Dinner tonight was an Asian inspired salad with scallops.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 6

My 2004 eG Blog

well

@Tri2Cook

in California where I grew up

some time ago

there were a few people that pick up ' waste ' oil from restaurants 

mostly Chinese

and recycled it through older converted cars.

I know this as twice i was behind them

and it smelled a lot like

Chinese Take Out.

not necessarily the Highest End

but CTO none the less

not an offensive smell

but after a few miles

well  ................................

• Haha 1

for about 1/2 mile.

after that 

not so much

remember :

" Take - Out "

is not quite the same as Dine-In

if I went to a Chinese Restaurant to Eat-In

and its aroma was Take-Out

I find another Dine-In C.R.

just saying 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

AD6D9774-A095-4782-8403-58522AA0982F.thumb.jpeg.7f5913d8f021128dbdc25ee3ed5a86b3.jpeg

Dinner tonight was an Asian inspired salad with scallops.

You did so good on the scallop cooking--I struggle with getting any color before they turn into rubber pencil erasers.

I want this right now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

I want this right now.

Shelby,

I’m not looking for sympathy. I’m not even looking for advice. But I gotta a tell you it was very disappointing. After sitting here thinking about it I would love a redo.  It isn’t going to happen tonight.  

• Sad 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Shelby,

I’m not looking for sympathy. I’m not even looking for advice. But I gotta a tell you it was very disappointing. After sitting here thinking about it I would love a redo.  It isn’t going to happen tonight.  

Aw, well, it sure looks delicious! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1