• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experimenting with my Bread Machine

@andiesenji  thanks again.  I just put on a second loaf, blades all the way down, positioned in opposite directions.  I am making the same 6 grain loaf except I am using active dry yeast instead of the rapid rise.  Funnily enough, when I first put the blades in, and checked them, I did not have one of them all the way down.  It is almost as though it caught on something.  I'll have to watch for that. I'm pretty sure now that my problem with the first loaf was the improper blade position.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I did this too and THEN I placed them opposite each other.  

I watch in the early phases, The dough should look like it is shifting from side to side and slowly folds in on itself.  

And remember,  if it doesn't look like it has mixed enough and doesn't have the "smooth" appearance, you can always  stop the machine completely, cancel the cycle and just start it again from the beginning, add a tablespoon or water, or if it looks too sloppy, add a tablespoon or two of flour.

YOU control the machine.

Here is what I am doing now.  I started with one of the box mixes, calls for a cup of water and 2 tablespoons of oil

I dumped in 1 1/2 cups of water, 3/4 cup of rye flour and three tablespoons of whole milk powder and some caraway seeds.

After it had gone through the first kneading cycle, it looked a little skimpy (this is the 3-pound machine)  I cancelled the program.  

I mixed separately, 2/3 cup of bread flour, 1/3 cup of milk and heated it in the microwave, beat it into a thick slurry and allowed it to cool to 106°

I then added 2 teaspoons of fresh yeast.  Mixed it vigorously and allowed it to sit for 15 minutes, the yeast was VERY ACTIVE.  

I then dumped that into the machine and reset it to the #1 program, plain white bread and turned it on.

This is well into the second kneading cycle.   It has the slightly glossy look I expect at this stage and everything has been incorporated into the dough.

If it rises a lot, I will probably cut some off when I pull it out to remove the paddles at the end of the last kneading cycle. On my machine the timer shows 1:55 to go till done.

5a00a4e261db6_ScreenShot2017-11-06at9_57_46AM.thumb.png.9d7e3a2feab036e5b2360478459a87dd.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is 17 minutes after the prior photo.  This is definitely rising rapidly and I will have to remove some of the dough (goes into oiled plastic bag and into the fridge)

or it will hit the top of the machine.

5a00a6e347e38_ScreenShot2017-11-06at10_11_07AM.thumb.png.0807fd0c6ade81e1a22c673c8ccfdc7e.png

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is at the 155 mark, just before the final "punch-down" knead.  Photo #1  As you can see, it is too high to bake like this, the oven "spring" will cause it to hit the top.

5a00b4858f175_11617semiryewithcaraway3.png.88ed938e37f4c8e2dce85681a01d4b9b.png

This is after I have divided the dough, removing about 1/3 or so and returning it to the pan, with the paddle removed.  The time shows 1:50 remaining to finish.

5a00b4aa12a25_11617semiryewithcaraway4.thumb.png.e0e37f5c700a64c9f8b3f17eb290dbc7.png

And the last photo is the oiled plastic bag with the remaining dough.  I will keep it in the fridge for a day or so and then make rolls from it.

5a00b4d282ad0_11617semiryewithcaraway5.thumb.png.31e3dadcbc03beadc14bdd466cb8da79.png

• Like 3

@andiesenji  thank you for your "show and tell". The loaf I made yesterday turned out well.  It was 6 1/2" high.  I don't know if that is normal, but it did not hit the lid so I guess all was well.  The loaf was well mixed and was evenly baked with a more or less perfect top.  We ate some today and I am happy with it.  What I did not do, and will do with the next loaf I make is pay attention to what happens when.   I'll compare it to your pictures so I can get a good sense of what happens when.  I'll also take the blades out before baking.  I watched most of the DVD that came with the machine and they suggested that you could bake rolls in the machine.  I would think the rolls would stick to each other and end up as one big blob.  

Anyway, I'll be making another loaf in a couple of days and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 3

The Zojirushi I have, from about 15 years ago had "racks" that went into the pan for baking rolls.  I never used them, I just take the dough out, divide and shape it.

Put the rolls on a sheet pan and bake them off in the regular oven.

I have the method for cinnamon raisin rolls with the dough being mixed and kneaded, rise and kneaded through the entire dough cycle on my blog.  The machine does all the routine work and you get to do the fun part.  The link to my blog is at the bottom of every one of my posts.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

Just thought it was worthwhile to mention that the just released Modernist Bread has a good section on bread machines and provides recipes for quite a number of breads. Have not really dug into the section yet but I thought it worth mentioning.  

Edited to add: please let’s not take this off topic. If you have questions please start another topic. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2017-11-06 at 9:37 PM, andiesenji said:

The Zojirushi I have, from about 15 years ago had "racks" that went into the pan for baking rolls.  I never used them, I just take the dough out, divide and shape it.

Put the rolls on a sheet pan and bake them off in the regular oven.

I have the method for cinnamon raisin rolls with the dough being mixed and kneaded, rise and kneaded through the entire dough cycle on my blog.  The machine does all the routine work and you get to do the fun part.  The link to my blog is at the bottom of every one of my posts.

Thanks, Andie, when I am ready to do raisin buns I will refer back to your blog.  They look great.

Yesterday I decided to try a one pound loaf of plain white bread in the machine.  I tried to time the various stages but since I forgot to set the timer I ended up with approximations.  Plus, I had to go and look after Sam, the cat, and that threw me off even more.  Still, I ran this mainly as an experiment to see how a one pound loaf would turn out in a machine meant to do 1 1/2 and 2 pound loaves.  The answer is perfectly well if you don't mind aď slightly  misshapen loaf, although I did go in between cycles to shape it a bit.  But, the top of the loaf remained white.  I decided to brown the top under the broiler except I was doing something else and let it go a bit longer than I should have.  The end product is what you see in this post.

The bread eats fine, although I find it to be on the sweet side.  When I make bread without the machine I never use sugar.  Is there a requirement to use sugar when making bread in a bread machine? I'd rather not have to use any, or if I must, as little as possible.

20171107_200338.jpg

• Like 2

Does MB recommend any particular machines ?

my copy won't ship until Nov 13 !

and does any one know if there is a machine that allows you to take out the dough

and retard it in the refig

yet putt back in the machine on a rise setting than a ' custom bake '  i.e. you set the time

or a baking time that would work for such a loaf ?

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Does MB recommend any particular machines ?

my copy won't ship until Nov 13 !

and does any one know if there is a machine that allows you to take out the dough

and retard it in the refig

yet putt back in the machine on a rise setting than a ' custom bake '  i.e. you set the time

or a baking time that would work for such a loaf ?

I will do my best to read through that section later today and try and answer your questions. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks, Andie, when I am ready to do raisin buns I will refer back to your blog.  They look great.

Yesterday I decided to try a one pound loaf of plain white bread in the machine.  I tried to time the various stages but since I forgot to set the timer I ended up with approximations.  Plus, I had to go and look after Sam, the cat, and that threw me off even more.  Still, I ran this mainly as an experiment to see how a one pound loaf would turn out in a machine meant to do 1 1/2 and 2 pound loaves.  The answer is perfectly well if you don't mind aď slightly  misshapen loaf, although I did go in between cycles to shape it a bit.  But, the top of the loaf remained white.  I decided to brown the top under the broiler except I was doing something else and let it go a bit longer than I should have.  The end product is what you see in this post.

The bread eats fine, although I find it to be on the sweet side.  When I make bread without the machine I never use sugar.  Is there a requirement to use sugar when making bread in a bread machine? I'd rather not have to use any, or if I must, as little as possible.

20171107_200338.jpg

No. You do not need to add sugar.  I think some recipes add it to give a boost to the yeast but if your yeast is fresh and active it is not needed.     I leave it out of most recipes unless it is a sweet dough.   Your machine should have a "bake only" cycle - usually the last one on the menu.  You can select that and push start and set your timer for 15 minutes, which is usually enough to brown the top.

With some breads that are quite dense, the regular cycles do not bake them long enough.  I use my Thermapen to check the interior temp.  It has to be at least 200°F and for some, heavy breads with a lot of whole seeds and grains, I make sure the interior temp reaches 210°F. before I push the off button.  

I have yet to actually bake a loaf in my Zo because of experience in the past with my old machines.

Now that I have the perfect raisin bread recipe (here) I want to make the attempt so I can have a fresh, fragrant loaf ready when I get up in the morning.

I need to get my sourdough ready so it'll be later in the week.

27 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have yet to actually bake a loaf in my Zo because of experience in the past with my old machines.

Now that I have the perfect raisin bread recipe (here) I want to make the attempt so I can have a fresh, fragrant loaf ready when I get up in the morning.

I need to get my sourdough ready so it'll be later in the week.

Are you baking this in the machine or in the oven?  

On 06/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, ElsieD said:

@andiesenji  thank you for your "show and tell". The loaf I made yesterday turned out well. 

Just FYI, one of the first batches I made in my Zo came out exactly like your ill-fated first loaf. It was, indeed, because one of the paddles wasn't seated properly. In my case, because I was using the dough cycle, I was able to salvage the properly-mixed portion of the dough. 

RE your soaker, my Zo beeps several minutes into the kneading cycle to let me know when it's time to drop add-ins into the dough. I'm guessing that would work, if yours has the similar feature. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

No. You do not need to add sugar.  I think some recipes add it to give a boost to the yeast but if your yeast is fresh and active it is not needed.     I leave it out of most recipes unless it is a sweet dough.   Your machine should have a "bake only" cycle - usually the last one on the menu.  You can select that and push start and set your timer for 15 minutes, which is usually enough to brown the top.

With some breads that are quite dense, the regular cycles do not bake them long enough.  I use my Thermapen to check the interior temp.  It has to be at least 200°F and for some, heavy breads with a lot of whole seeds and grains, I make sure the interior temp reaches 210°F. before I push the off button.  

Thanks.  I can live without the sugar in my bread.

I just spent some quality time with the instruction manual.  It would look as though the HOME MADE course has a bake cycle I can use, but I haven't figured out which button(s) to push.  I'll look into that.  As to the temperature, I always check mine with a Thermopan as I want the loaves to be at least 200F.

Again, Andie, thanks for all your help.  I appreciate it.  

So for those who are interested here’s the Coles Notes version of the bread machine chapter in Modernist Bread. 

Even the best bread machine cannot compete with bread made in a stand mixer and baked in an oven. 

Two major drawbacks are that it is not powerful enough to mix properly nor hot enough to bake properly.

But then there’s the claim that they have hacked the machine (they don’t actually hack any machine they just adapt to its limitations) to get a much better result including the possibility of 100% rye and a braided challah (this is braided by hand and baked in the  machine). 

They recognize the appeal of the machine on a variety of levels and say that 8% of American households own a bread machine and sales of flour and yeast suggest many of them are being used. 

And so they have made it possible to use most of their master recipes in the bread machine in one form or another. 

They make note of some of the major shortcomings and offer solutions such as shaping by hand but baking in the machine

They also suggest looking in thrift stores for bread machines. 

The bottom line seems to be that you can get decent results but you’ll need more hands-on time which may will negate the reason that you bought the machine in the first place. 

They also note that most machine made breads can be improved with the addition of vital wheat gluten. 

They  make no machine  recommendation that I could find. 

All of the photographs of bread they have created in a bread machine display those very peculiar shapes unique to each machine. 

That’s my summary. I hope anyone who has the books and disagrees with it will chime in here.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Just FYI, one of the first batches I made in my Zo came out exactly like your ill-fated first loaf. It was, indeed, because one of the paddles wasn't seated properly. In my case, because I was using the dough cycle, I was able to salvage the properly-mixed portion of the dough. 

RE your soaker, my Zo beeps several minutes into the kneading cycle to let me know when it's time to drop add-ins into the dough. I'm guessing that would work, if yours has the similar feature. 

You can salvage all of it.  As long as the dough has not been baked or dried out, just fix the paddles, add a bit more water, and half to one teaspoon of yeast to kickstart it.  Start the cycle again and leave it to finish.  I have forgotten to add some ingredients from time to time and just zero out the cycle, add what is needed and restart from the beginning.  Yeast dough is very forgiving.  I learned this when working in my mom's bakery in the '50s.  We re-vitalized dough that had been left in one of the dough troughs (for the first rise after mixing) and had risen and deflated.  It was cut into manageable pieces, tossed back in the big horizontal mixer,  had some liquid and flour added, some yeast (we used fresh) and remixed.  Turned out fine.  

I can't tell you how many times I started something on the dough cycle and then got involved with other tasks and totally forgot about it.  Sometimes I would take it out of the pan, stick it in a plastic bag in the fridge and then rework it the next day or the day after, adding more yeast and whatever else was required to get it back to what i wanted.  

I have also taken a small piece of the dough, when I was experimenting with "flavors" and baked the little "roll" to see if it was the flavor I wanted. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

You can salvage all of it.  As long as the dough has not been baked or dried out, just fix the paddles, add a bit more water, and half to one teaspoon of yeast to kickstart it.  Start the cycle again and leave it to finish.

Yeah, I should have been clear that I was facing a time constraint that day. As Andie says, you can recover from a surprising number and variety of errors if you have the time. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm so disappointed!  I  wanted some homemade bread to go with tonight's goulash and decided to make my first ever loaf baked in my Zo (I normally mix in the Zo and then oven bake.

It was a big failure.  I don't know if it was my attempt to even out the top that caused the cratering ...maybe I did it too late(?)

The recipe was from KAF, their Potato wheat bread (to which I subbed half of the www for AP flour.

Discouraging enough that I'll go back to the oven now.

9E8A63E3-8736-4B34-BD01-65109473851F.jpeg

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Similar Content

• By Kasia
      A SANDWICH TO GO

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a snack which you can grab and eat "on the go". I know that it is unhealthy. We should celebrate eating and eat calmly and with deliberation. However, sometimes the day is too short for everything on our schedule and we still have to eat. Admittedly, we can sin and go for some fast food, but it is healthier and tastier to prepare something quickly in our own kitchen.

Today, Camembert cheese and cranberries in a fresh, crunchy roll take the lead role. It sounds easy and yummy, doesn't it? Try it and get on with your day . Today I used a homemade cranberry preserve which was left over from dessert, but if you like you can buy your own.

Ingredients:
      2 fresh rolls (your favourite ones)
      150g of camembert cheese
      1 handful of lettuce
      2 teaspoons of butter
      2 teaspoons of pine nuts or sunflower seeds
      preserve
      100g of fresh cranberries
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      100ml of apple juice

Wash the cranberries. Put the cranberries, sugar and apple juice into a pan with a heavy bottom and boil with the lid on for 10-12 minutes, stirring from time to time. Try it and if necessary add some sugar. Leave to cool down. Cut the rolls in half and spread with the butter. Put some lettuce on one half of the roll. Slice the camembert cheese and arrange it on the lettuce. Put a fair portion of the cranberry preserve on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with the roast pine nuts or sunflower seeds and cover with the second half of the roll.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Today I would like to share with you a recipe for a slightly different sandwich. Instead of traditional vegetables, I recommend strawberry salsa, and rather than a slice of ham – a golden grilled slice of Halloumi cheese. Only one thing is missing – a fresh and fragrant bread roll.

Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese made with sheep's milk or a mixture of sheep's, goat's and cow's milk. It is semihard and so flexible that it is excellent for frying and barbecuing, and it is great fresh too.

Ingredients (for two people)
      2 fresh rolls of your choice
      2 big lettuce leaves
      4 slices of Halloumi cheese
      2 teaspoons of butter
      salsa:
      8 strawberries
      half a chili pepper
      2 tablespoons of minced peppermint leaves
      ¼ a red onion
      2 tablespoons of chopped almond without the skin
      1 teaspoon of honey
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      2 tablespoons of balsamic sauce

Start by preparing the salsa. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cube them. Dice the onion and chili pepper. Mix the strawberries with the onion, chili pepper, peppermint and almonds. Spice it up with honey and lemon juice. Leave in the fridge for half an hour. Grill the slices of Halloumi cheese until they are golden. Cut the fresh rolls in half and spread them with butter. Put a lettuce leaf on each half of roll, then a slice of the Halloumi cheese, one tablespoon of salsa, another slice of cheese and two tablespoons of salsa. Spice it up with balsamic sauce. Cover with the other half of the roll. Prepare the second sandwich in the same way. Serve at once while the cheese is still hot.

Enjoy your meal!

• By nonkeyman
      How to Make Rye Sourdough Bread
      I don't know what it is about bread, but it is my favorite thing to make and eat. A freshly baked loaf of bread solves a world of problems. I was lucky enough to get to be one of the main bakers when I worked at the Herbfarm. We baked Epi, Baguettes, Rolls, Pretzels and so much more.

Rye Sourdough Wood Oven Baked Bread

My fondest memory when I worked there was our field trip to the Bread Lab(wait something this cool came out of WSU, of course!) here in Washington. They grow thousands of varieties of wheat and have some pretty cool equipment to test gluten levels, protein, genetics and so on. I nerded out so hard.

What came out of that trip was this bread. Now I can't recall the exact flour we got from them, but using a basic bread and rye will do the trick. We used to get a special flour for our 100 mile menu. This was where we were limited to only serving food from 100 miles away. So finding a wheat farm that made actual hulled wheat in 100 miles was a miracle. The year before...the thing we made, was closer to hard tack.

Now if you don't have a starter, I recommend starting one! It is a great investment!

Rye Sourdough
      1000 g flour (60% Bread Flour, 40% Rye)
      25 g salt

75 g of honey/molasses
      200 g of Rye starter 
      650 g of water, cold
      Equipment
      Baker Scale (or other gram scale)
      Bench Cutter
      Bread Razor (you could also use one of those straight razors)

Start by taking the cold water, yeast and Honey and mix together and let sit for 10-15 minutes

I know, some of you just freaked out, cold water? Won't that kill the yeast.

Nope, the yeast just needs to re hydrate. I prefer using cold water to slow the yeast down. That way the lactobacillus in the starter has  a good amount of time to start making lactic acid, and really get to flavor town!

While that is sitting, I mix the flour and the salt together(How many times I have forgotten to salt the bread).

Now mix the two products with a kneading hook for 3-5 minutes, only until thoroughly mixed but not yet at the window pane stage of kneading.

Instead, place into a bowl and set a timer for one hour. Then when that hour is up, push the dough down and fold all the corners in

Repeat this step 2-3 more times, pending on the outside temperature.

If you happen to have those cool bowls to shape round loafs! Awesome, use them. I would break the boules into 3 balls of about 333 grams

If not then just put the dough in the fridge and do the steps below the next day.

Once you have bouled the bread, can put it into the fridge and let it sit over night

Again, this lets the bacteria, really get to work(misconception is the yeast adds the sour flavor, nope, think yogurt!)

Now on the next day, heat up whatever form of oven you plan to use. We used a brick oven but if you just have a normal oven, that is fine. Crank it to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you have not bouled your bread yet, go back and watch the video and break the dough down into three balls of abut 333 grams. Then place the balls on a lightly greased sheet pan. Let sit for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

If you have used the fancy bowls then turn the the bread out on a lightly greased sheet pan, without the bowl and let temper for 15-30 minutes.

If your oven is steam injected, build up a good blast of steam.

If not, throw in a few ice cubes and close the door or put a bath of hot water inside.

The steam is what creates the sexy crust!

Let it build up for a few minutes!

Right before you put the bread into the oven use a bread razor to slice the top of the bread.

Place the dough balls into the oven and douse with another blast of steam or ice and close the oven.

Let them bake for 13 minutes at 450 degrees. Then turn the loaves and bake for another 10 minutes.

Remove when the crust is as dark as you want and the internal temperature exceeds 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now pull out and make sure to let cool off of the sheet pan with room to breath underneath. You don't want your crust steaming!

Now here is the hardest part, wait at least 20 minutes before getting into the bread. Also, cutting into bread to early really seems to come out poorly. I would rip the bread until 1-2 hours has passed.

Now serve it with your favorite butter, goat butter or whipped duck fat!

• By andiesenji
      ANDIE'S ABSOLUTELY ADDICTING BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES
      Here’s the thing about pickles: if you’ve never made them, they may seem to be an overwhelming (and possibly mysterious) project. Our listener Andie – who has offered some really valuable help to the show several times in the past – has sent this recipe which provides an opportunity to “try your hand” at pickle-making without much effort. Andie suggests that making a small batch, and storing the pickles in the refrigerator (without “processing”) can get you started painlessly. Our Producer Lisa says that the result is so delicious that you won’t be able to keep these pickles on hand - even for the 3-4 months that they’ll safely keep!
      The basics are slicing the cucumbers and other veggies, tossing them with salt and crushed ice and allowing them to stand for awhile to become extra-crisp. You then make a simple, sweet and spicy syrup, (Andie does this in the microwave), rinse your crisp veggies, put them in a jar, pour the syrup over, and keep them in the refrigerator until they’re “pickled” – turning the jar upside down each day. In about 2 weeks you’ll have pickles – now how much easier could that be? If you are inspired, I hope you’ll try these – and enjoy!
      MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART.
      FOR THE PICKLES:
      4 to 6 pickling cucumbers (cucumbers should be not much larger than 1 inch in diameter, and
      4 to 5 inches long)
      1/2 to 3/4 of one, medium size onion.
      1/2 red bell pepper.
      1/4 cup, pickling salt (coarse kosher salt)
      2 quarts, cracked ice
      water to cover
      2 tablespoons, mustard seed.
      1 heaping teaspoon, celery seed
      FOR THE SYRUP:
      1 1/2 cups, vinegar
      *NOTE: Use cider or distilled white vinegar, do not use wine vinegar.
      1 1/2 cups, sugar
      2 heaping teaspoons, pickling spice mix.
      PREPARE THE PICKLES:
      Carefully wash the cucumbers and bell pepper. Slice all vegetables very thin, using a food processor with a narrow slicing blade, or by hand, or using a V-slicer or mandoline. Toss the sliced vegetables together in a glass or crockery bowl large enough to hold twice the volume of the vegetables. Sprinkle the salt over the vegetables, add the cracked ice, toss again to blend all ingredients and add water to just barely cover the vegetables. Place a heavy plate on top of the vegetables to keep them below the top of the liquid.
      *Set aside for 4 hours.
      PREPARE THE SYRUP:
      Place the vinegar, sugar and pickling spices in a 4-quart Pyrex or other microwavable container (the large Pyrex measure works very well)
      Microwave on high for 15 to 20 minutes. [if a microwave is not available, simmer the syrup in a narrow saucepan on the stovetop, over low heat, for the same length of time.] Allow the syrup to cool. Strain the syrup and discard the spices.
      ASSEMBLE THE PICKLES:
      Place one wide-mouth quart canning jar (or two wide-mouth pint jars) with their lids in a pot of water to cover, place over medium heat and bring the water to a simmer (180 degrees). Remove the pot from the heat and allow jar(s) and lid(s) to remain in the hot water until needed.
      *After the 4 hours are up (crisping the vegetables as described above) pour the vegetables into a large colander and rinse well. The cucumber slices should taste only slightly salty. Return the rinsed vegetables to the bowl, add the mustard seeds and celery seeds and toss well until evenly distributed. Set aside.
      Return the syrup to the microwave, microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes [or heat the syrup on the stovetop] until an instant read thermometer shows the temperature of the syrup is 190 to 200 degrees.
      Place the vegetables into one wide-mouth quart jar, or in 2 wide-mouth pint
      jars that have been scalded as described above. Pour the syrup over the vegetables, place the lids on the jar or jars, tighten well and place in the refrigerator overnight.
      The following day, turn the jar upside down - then continue to turn every day for 2 weeks. (This is to insure that the pickles are evenly flavored)
      After 2 weeks open the jar and taste. The pickles should be ready to eat.
      Pickles will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 months.
      ( RG2154 )
    • By prasantrin
      Tsubushian (mashed azuki bean) Shortbread
      Serves 48 as Dessert.
      This recipe was given to me by a Japanese co-worker, who in turn got it from a former Japanese-American co-worker. It's not too sweet, and is perfect with a cup of green tea.

2-1/2 c flour
      1-1/2 c sugar
      1 c butter
      1 tsp baking powder
      1/4 tsp salt
      3 eggs, slightly beaten
      12 oz can tsubushian (mashed azuki beans)
      1 c chopped nuts (any kind)

Preheat oven to 350 C.
      In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in butter. Press mixture evenly into a 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
      Sift the remaining 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in eggs, nuts, and tsubushian.
      Pour over baked crust and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cut into bars while still warm (I wrote 48 bars, but you can cut them larger or smaller if you like).
      *Tsubushian is mashed cooked azuki beans and is available in cans at Japanese markets or other Asian food stores. It's coarser than anko, so you can easily make your own if you can't find the canned variety. You can use a recipe such as this one.
      Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Brownies/Bars
      ( RG1955 )