• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodblog Fanfare

Smithy

Looking forward with great anticipation to this food blog. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll save a couple of photos for tomorrow, since his blog doesn't open until Tuesday, but here's one more for today:

WP_20161028_17_42_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.85a1670b1d94a29fe2e9d1ba4aa5c53b.jpg

"...a place you can live (for a while) ..."

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Any chance that is the Qiantang River where the huge tidal bore is?  

Good question!  It does look like it has quite a tide swing, and with that gap I can imagine a tidal bore to go with it.

Keep questions like this coming, folks, as you think of them.  @Duvel may or may not weigh in on this topic, but he promises to answer questions as expeditiously as possible, given the difference in time zones between him and the Western Hemisphere readers.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can't wait for this blog!  My wife and I spent about a week in HK about 6 years ago (prior to when I started doing food blogs) and we loved our time there.  I can't wait to see more!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I can't wait for this blog!  My wife and I spent about a week in HK about 6 years ago (prior to when I started doing food blogs) and we loved our time there.  I can't wait to see more!

I figured that sooner or later you (or possibly @rarerollingobject or @liuzhou) would spot something you recognized, and blurt out the answer. :D The most telling shots (I suspect) will come out tomorrow, our time.

Good morning everyone from ... Tokyo.

First of all, congratulations to @Kerry Beal for putting adding another win to your track record!

Also congratulations to @Smithy: You were right, the pictures were to easy :$

I'd like to take you all for a week with me and explain some "Tales from the Fragrant Harbour", but we'll start tomorrow night here in Tokyo before heading back - hopefully without typhoon - to Hong Kong ...

Until then, enjoy the teaser pictures (from the Tiger Head on Lantau Island #1, Shrimps from Temple Street Night Market #2, Incense from any of the myriads of little temples scattered around #3 and the evening view of "my" little beach at Discovery Bay #4, where I live). More to come ...

• Like 14

ohhhh....gottta get my husband's friend Peggy Lee(Americanized name) to see this.  Her family is from Hong Kong......

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'll see if I can include Lamma ... Have been there for the Lamma 500 dragon boat race (at least 16th place this year 9_9).

They do have good seafood, so maybe that's a good idea ...

• Like 1

The penultimate teaser image...

WP_20160328_12_20_03_Pro.thumb.jpg.88e42084139d06cd0ef30d2d7a516a21.jpg

• Like 4

When we were there, we went to Cheung Chau and really enjoyed it.  We  went to a seafood restaurant by the water, and among other things got some mantis shrimp (they looked good in the tank, and we'd never tried them before) but they were almost impossible to peel!  Maybe they weren't in season, or maybe not cooked properly, or maybe that's just how they are?

Here's the last teaser photo, which makes a lovely lead-in to the foodblog proper...

"...Welcome to the Fragrant Harbour!..."

WP_20160703_17_07_19_Rich.thumb.jpg.45db060018bbb611516029f1340f15fa.jpg

Given the difference in time zones, I'm not quite sure when @Duvel will begin, but I'll post a link to his topic when he does so.

• Like 5

...and it's started!  Please join us as Duvel shares Tales from the Fragrant Harbour.

• Like 2