• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby...How do you celebrate?

Naftal

47 minutes ago, weinoo said:

We'll be going to a derby day thing at a friends. I'm excited, except for what happened last week.

Yes Wild on Ice a tragedy.Always surprised how many recognze the greats. I have an  8 x 10 framed glossy of Ruffian near my desk and my sister shockingy asked recently "Is that her  Ruffian?" 

Food!  Taste  of home has a nice collection. Hot Brown not my thing but I like reading about the traditional and takes on it. https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/kentucky-derby-recipes/

• Like 1

There's no local horse this year other than Angel of Empire who was bred in Schuylkill County...a couple counties northwest of us. We got spoiled by Smarty Jones and Barbaro who were hyper local. No party planned, but who knows what can develop.

I've thought that a mini hot brown might be an interesting canape.  Two or three would be a good dosage...more than that I'd plotz.

• Like 4

On 4/29/2023 at 7:06 PM, gfweb said:

I've thought that a mini hot brown might be an interesting canape.  Two or three would be a good dosage...more than that I'd plotz.

I didn’t see this until earlier today and didn’t have time to shop for and execute it but some sort of hot brown crostini will happen here at some point!

• Like 3

On 4/29/2023 at 10:06 PM, gfweb said:

There's no local horse this year other than Angel of Empire who was bred in Schuylkill County...a couple counties northwest of us. We got spoiled by Smarty Jones and Barbaro who were hyper local. No party planned, but who knows what can develop.

Another 1/16th of a mile would've been good for Angel of Empire!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Well, I feel I have to make a comment ....I won't go into depth but my heart breaks for the horses that were lost and their connections.  

It's still safer and better than it was years ago.

Switching gears, I always get teary during the National Anthem and My Old Kentucky Home.  AND I straight out cried during the Cody's Wish segment.  I was so thrilled that he won. 

Two Phil's (yes the apostrophe misuse makes me nuts but I'm anal like that lol) was my main horse.  Was happy he got second.  Had Forte not scratched his money line odds would have been a lot better.

On to the food.  Mostly a repeat from last year:

Hot Browns--my homemade bread, toasted, roasted turkey, not great store bought tomatoes that I roasted, cheese sauce, bacon and topped with parsley and green onions

Roasted a turkey breast again--same temp 350F in CSO steam bake setting.  Took about an hour and a half as it was a much bigger breast than last year.

image.jpeg.df1d55e73d266f259c80a3ee3a628c6e.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_4439.jpg.1e229d3deb1dadb8b3c6664148ad4b75.jpg

Did some deviled eggs this year because unlike last year they aren't a zillion dollars a dozen.

thumbnail_IMG_4440.jpg.6232715cd21ee6d2cb36d856492f3c74.jpg

Fries

thumbnail_IMG_4441.jpg.be69215c25d8267441545f131ed8eda1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4442.jpg.a071b58e767d6f9995b70f1b5c8615bf.jpg

Had some good pecans in the freezer so I made a Derby Pie with fresh whipped cream for dessert.

thumbnail_IMG_4437.jpg.a5c75ecc4bcde5b7f3e6f78b1b01fc21.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4443.jpg.70afdfc6b72a7dd8148dd591105302c5.jpg

On to the Preakness!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

I confess to watching the derby every year, and also to my ambivalence about the whole event. I also confess to disliking most of the food considered derby worthy, especially pimento cheese and bourbon, and probably I wouldn't like hot browns, either, given the combination of turkey, gravy and cheese.

However we did make pie. It wasn't a traditional derby pie, as I'm also not wild about pecans; it was a chicken pot pie, and very good. One thing that always fascinates me is the names of race horses. There seems to be no rhyme or reason and no grammatical consistency. The names have some kind of peculiarity in common that I can't quite grasp and that I find endlessly entertaining. And yes, the race was exciting.

20 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

. One thing that always fascinates me is the names of race horses. There seems to be no rhyme or reason and no grammatical consistency. The names have some kind of peculiarity in common that I can't quite grasp and that I find endlessly entertaining. And yes, the race was exciting.

Thoroughbreds are a breed and by "law" of the regulations must have a name never used so odd permutations occur. Mine was named Bracchus. People would say oh god of wine, The breeders had a vineyard but had to add the "r" because there was another one named Bacchus. I am not fond of the traditional Derby food but find it interesting. https://www.jockeyclub.com/

Edited by heidih
add link (log)

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Thoroughbreds are a breed and by "law" of the regulations must have a name never used so odd permutations occur. Mine was named Bracchus. People would say oh god of wine, The breeders had a vineyard but had to add the "r" because there was another one named Bacchus. I am not fond of the traditional Derby food but find it interesting. https://www.jockeyclub.com/

So" Two Phils" (no apostrophe) was already taken? I still find this hilarious! 

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

One thing that always fascinates me is the names of race horses. There seems to be no rhyme or reason and no grammatical consistency.

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

So" Two Phils" (no apostrophe) was already taken? I still find this hilarious! 

From this article, Breeders’ Cup Presents Connections: A Kentucky Derby ‘Cinderella Story’:

“Everyone's asking about the apostrophe with Two Phil's,” Sagan said, laughing. “When my dad submitted it to The Jockey Club, I guess this is how he did it. I think it gives him a little style, a little pizzazz to his name, and it gives people something to talk about. That little apostrophe is not supposed to be there, but we're not grammar experts so we submitted it the way it is and I like the way it looks on paper.”

• Haha 1