• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I noticed this afternoon that Cooks Illustrated gave their award to the APO.

In July of 2021 they panned it as a "Smart Oven" saying it was "Not Recommended" (full review is paywalled)

Flash forward to Jan 2023, it is now  "The Best Countertop Steam Oven" and as the "Winner" and "Top Pick" was "Recommended" (again, full review is paywalled)

I guess the passage of time has modified their results

One point, it seems they still can't get the Bluetooth connection working - unless I'm mistaken the APO is WIFI not Bluetooth, at least mine is WIFI!

p

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palo said:

In July of 2021 they panned it as a "Smart Oven" saying it was "Not Recommended" (full review is paywalled)

Flash forward to Jan 2023, it is now  "The Best Countertop Steam Oven" and as the "Winner" and "Top Pick" was "Recommended" (again, full review is paywalled)

I guess the passage of time has modified their results

One point, it seems they still can't get the Bluetooth connection working - unless I'm mistaken the APO is WIFI not Bluetooth, at least mine is WIFI!

p

No Bluetooth on my APO, nor I'm pretty sure on anyone's.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

the ATK Casbal seems to recommend what's popular.

always a bit late to very late

very recently :

aaa.thumb.jpg.c2071ffb6df203277728a1944da914e3.jpg

N.B.:  note the watermelon .   @Shelby has been doing vac'd watermelon for 10 ?   15 ?   7 tears ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

the ATK Casbal seems to recommend what's popular.

always a bit late to very late

very recently :

aaa.thumb.jpg.c2071ffb6df203277728a1944da914e3.jpg

N.B.:  note the watermelon .   @Shelby has been doing vac'd watermelon for 10 ?   15 ?   7 tears ?

Yeah that's good stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Received an email today from Anova informing me of an update to their oven app:

"A new update just went live for the Anova Oven App. This app update is the first step in our transition to a new cloud infrastructure — with a mandatory Oven firmware update soon to follow."

"When to update: It's very important to update your app to version 1.1.0 or higher before our new Anova Precision™ Oven firmware goes live in early July.

Why: If you fail to update your app ahead of the firmware release, you'll lose connection with your oven from your mobile device — and nobody wants that."

This info seemed to be lacking in background about the new firmware (what to expect) and sounded rather ominous

Just an aside the app update went very smoothly with none of the connection issues I had experienced in the past

p

Anyone else received this info? and what do you make of it?

p
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, palo said:

Received an email today from Anova informing me of an update to their oven app:

"A new update just went live for the Anova Oven App. This app update is the first step in our transition to a new cloud infrastructure — with a mandatory Oven firmware update soon to follow."

"When to update: It's very important to update your app to version 1.1.0 or higher before our new Anova Precision™ Oven firmware goes live in early July.

Why: If you fail to update your app ahead of the firmware release, you'll lose connection with your oven from your mobile device — and nobody wants that."

This info seemed to be lacking in background about the new firmware (what to expect) and sounded rather ominous

Just an aside the app update went very smoothly with none of the connection issues I had experienced in the past

p

Anyone else received this info? and what do you make of it?

p

My app version says 1.1.0.

How do you clean the standard wire racks in the Anova? Mine are all covered in junk and, prepatory to dehydrating some herbs, I sought to clean them.

The after-market wire racks recommended by @palo and the silpats recommended by @JoNorvelleWalker all fit in a standard sheet pan. Some very hot water and detergent gets these soaking, then a quick pass with a wire scrubber gets them clean.

Any idea where to get a pan that's big enough to contain the standard Anova wire racks? 13" x 18" x 1 3/4" would do it.

What do you do to clean off all the baked on stuff? TIA.

Edited by TdeV
More to say (log)

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

How do you clean the standard wire racks in the Anova? Mine are all covered in junk and, prepatory to dehydrating some herbs, I sought to clean them.

The after-market wire racks recommended by @palo and the silpats recommended by @JoNorvelleWalker all fit in a standard sheet pan. Some very hot water and detergent gets these soaking, then a quick pass with a wire scrubber gets them clean.

Any idea where to get a pan that's big enough to contain the standard Anova wire racks? 13" x 18" x 1 3/4" would do it.

What do you do to clean off all the baked on stuff? TIA.

It never occurred to me to clean the shelves.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2023 at 12:29 AM, palo said:

I bet many people have been trying to turn off the wifi thing

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

I bet many people have been trying to turn off the wifi thing

Easiest, unpair the oven from WiFi.  More elegant, block the oven in your router.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, palo said:

Why does it matter?

p

Well there was that one anova firmware update that bricked the oven.

Speaking only for myself, I like the anova automatic updates, though I wish there was to option to make updates manual.  There are devices that have firmware that is not upgradable, and if there is a problem you are stuck forever and ever, unless you ship the product back to the manufacturer.

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my earlier post about updating the app, now it's the firmware's time

Mandatory oven firmware update!

*Anova is updating our cloud to improve our oven performance. This requires a mandatory firmware update from all Anova Precision™ Oven owners — but first, your app needs to be updated to version 1.1.0 or higher.

*Please note that this is a mandatory firmware update. Past Aug 15, 2023, you will not be able to remotely monitor or control your oven if you have not installed this update.

How will this change my interactions with the Anova Precision™ Oven App?

*Communication between the app and oven will be faster than our current infrastructure allows. This means changes to cook settings made on the app will appear nearly instantaneously on the oven, and vice versa.

p

• Sad 1

Just some speculation about the update, since Anova isn't putting out a ton of information. I saw in a repository reverse engineering the Anova Oven app that Anova is using Google Cloud IoT Core for communication with the oven. Google being Google, they decided eleven months ago that they'll kill the service and provided no help to any of the vendors in migrating to an alternative service [1]. The service will be shutdown on August 16, which makes the August 15th update deadline Anova published start to make more sense.

As an aside, I actually ran the update yesterday on my oven and it bricked it. When plugged in, the speaker lets out a popping noise and segments of the display blink at random intervals. I have a hunch the update may have been a bit rushed.

Footnotes

[1] As an interesting side note, Google Cloud IoT Core was actually created to replace another Google service, Android Things, which they killed three years ago.

Edited by atg (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Aidan G | Home cook

34 minutes ago, atg said:

As an aside, I actually ran the update yesterday on my oven and it bricked it. When plugged in, the speaker lets out a popping noise and segments of the display blink at random intervals. 

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this.  Is your oven not working properly?  What do you mean by "bricked it"?

43 minutes ago, atg said:

As an aside, I actually ran the update yesterday on my oven and it bricked it. When plugged in, the speaker lets out a popping noise and segments of the display blink at random intervals. I have a hunch the update may have been a bit rushed.

Was that the app update or the firmware update?

Hope it can be "unbricked"

Or it's under warranty

p

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this.  Is your oven not working properly?  What do you mean by "bricked it"?

My apologies for being unclear, it's slang saying that the device has a similar usefulness to a brick. The oven won't start at all and can't be used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aidan G | Home cook

5 minutes ago, palo said:

Was that the app update or the firmware update?

Hope it can be "unbricked"

Or it's under warranty

p

It was the firmware update and luckily is under warranty although I'd prefer to unbrick the device if possible

Aidan G | Home cook