• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the best way making flavored mayonaise

Dennis1404

I want to make a jalapeno mayonaise and my question is what would be the best way. 

I tried doing it with infusing grapeseed oil with the jalapeno but when I make the mayonaise then the color will stay yellow. Shall I use a immersion blender to puree some fresh jalapenos with the egg yolk mixture and then use the oil+jalapeno oil to make the mayonaise? After that I will strain trough a fine sieve to make it more fluid. I like the mayonaise to be green so thats why I didn't like the first attempt 

I don't understand the purpose of the strainer.  Why you would want to make the mayonnaise "more fluid"? Do you mean you'd want to make it smoother? If so, I'd recommend straining the jalapeno puree before blending it with anything.  gfweb raises a good point about how hot it might become, too.

By the way: welcome to eGullet! :)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

If you want a hit of fresh jalapeño flavor, you could infuse the vinegar or lemon juice with fresh chopped chilies and strain it before using.  

I'd be inclined to make a regular mayo and then flavor it as I think that would give you more control of flavor and color.  Roast up some fresh jalapeños, peel them to remove the blackened skins, puree then strain or sieve to the smoothness you need and blend that into the finished mayo to get the flavor and color you want. 

• Like 2

I have tried this in the past and gave up. The spiciness always went away and I wound up with a mild bell pepper flavor. I think the only way to make it work, flavor-wise might be to make jalapeno oil first, like any other chile oil by heating peppers in oil,  then use it to make the mayo when cooled. Chipotles canned in adobo always worked just fine, but, fresh and/or pickled jalapenos did not.

As for color, it will never be very dark. You can get a nice pale green by adding pureed cilantro or parsley. Spinach also works and is more neutrally flavored.