• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

image.jpeg

That was the sky then. This is the sky now and you can't even see the lightning!   It got so dark at one point I could barely distinguish those boats.   I'm a nervous Nellie and stormy weather so I think I will go pour me a glass of wine.

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The ship looks like the M.S. Saint Laurent — and here.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Sorry I have not been as engaged as I had hoped to be especially this morning. Texting with the family members to resolve some small crises.  Breakfast once again was a toasted English muffin and black currant jam.  Kerry brought home her Physician's Assistant  at lunchtime and they each enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich. Last year at this same young lady was a student and also came over for lunch. She is delightful.   

After they went off to work I made my own lunch.

image.jpeg

Cheese and onion toasty, the last of the pickled mushrooms and some more of the pickled pears.  Must make more of those mushrooms.  

Kerry is going out for dinner this evening with Kira. Once again I declined the invitation but I'm looking forward to a lovely piece of salmon that Kerry brought for me from the fish store.   It is thawing out now so I'm thinking that I should steam bake it in the CSO perhaps with a miso glaze.  Slim pickings at the moment for side dishes but some creamy, cheesy orzo might just hit the spot. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm waiting to hear what happened to the goose.

It is still here. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Planning to leave it in the closet for this fall?

Perhaps.  Even as we speak it is transitioning from freezer to refrigerator.   The aim is to have it on the 24th which is Sunday in accordance with Danish tradition where at Christmas dinner is usually on the 24th at least in my family.  

I am quite surprised that you haven't asked me for my Christmas list yet. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

So as was mentioned earlier Kerry and Kira are visiting another Doc and enjoying some good company and some heritage pork. 

My meal turned out to be quite satisfactory although the photograph would belie that statement.  I made a creamy cheesy orzo  and cooked a piece of salmon in the CSO. I followed the steam broil/broil system mentioned in the little booklet. I think I overcooked it just a tad to my liking.   The skin crisped up nicely.  I did brine it for 10 minutes before cooking it.  Although I put the whole thing on the plate for the photograph, before I ate it I stripped off the skin to enjoy while crispy and put about half of the salmon away for another meal.  With a little tweaking I think steam broiled salmon or another firm fleshed fish  could be an ideal cooking method.

image.jpeg

Desert was for small pieces of chocolate covered candied ginger.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I'm a nervous Nellie and stormy weather

Good thing you don't live in Oklahoma. Almost all rain comes in a storm. Almost all homes have a storm shelter. Prior to phone "apps" almost everyone had a weather radio. If you would like to visit come in the late fall which lasts well into December. Winters are not bad although we do get an occasional ice storm. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

Good thing you don't live in Oklahoma. Almost all rain comes in a storm. Almost all homes have a storm shelter. Prior to phone "apps" almost everyone had a weather radio. If you would like to visit come in the late fall which lasts well into December. Winters are not bad although we do get an occasional ice storm. 

Thanks for the invite but unless you bar is VERY ADEQUATELY STOCKED I will give it a miss. Even the thought of needing a storm shelter...  This though from someone who grew up with a bomb shelter in the back yard!  I dunno.  But I never claimed to make much sense even to myself.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks for the invite but unless you bar is VERY ADEQUATELY STOCKED I will give it a miss. Even the thought of needing a storm shelter...  This though from someone who grew up with a bomb shelter in the back yard!  I dunno.  But I never claimed to make much sense even to myself.  

If you will come I will buy anything you like for the bar (although I would have to make a trip to Dallas to find the much of it!). You, however, will have to be the bartender. I would be incompetent.  

I never lived in a home with a bomb shelter but remember the bomb shelter signs posted about in the neighborhood. My storm shelter also functions as a safe-deposit box. No chance of fire destruction and locked unless a storm is approaching. 

Edited by cyalexa (log)
  • Like 4

IMG_2684.jpg

Heritage pork with the most wonderful crispy, spicy crumbs all over.

IMG_2685.jpg

Green beans and onions in a light vinaigrette 

IMG_2683.jpg

grilled asparagus, tomatoes, eggplant and green olives. 

Dessert was the summer torte that I made with chantilly cream.

Edited by Kerry Beal
to add dessert! (log)
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Perhaps.  Even as we speak it is transitioning from freezer to refrigerator.   The aim is to have it on the 24th which is Sunday in accordance with Danish tradition where at Christmas dinner is usually on the 24th at least in my family.  

I am quite surprised that you haven't asked me for my Christmas list yet. 

Oops.  I seem to have missed the part that the goose was frozen.  I know it gets cold up there and all.

Where I live the geese just procreate and cover everything with stuff.  They are such good parents.  I have to wade through them on my way to work.  There is even a "Goose Crossing" sign along the road.

Here we get few "storms" (except for hurricanes and nor'easters, of course) although the large brick home of a former coworker was utterly demolished by a tornado a couple miles from here.  There was not a stick standing above ground, not a brick, nothing.  I found her the next day wandering around the neighborhood looking for her underwear.

The only time I spent in a tornado shelter was in Texas.  But the parents of a friend bought a mansion with a bomb shelter and repurposed it as a wine cellar.

The only time I have actually eaten goose was in Germany as part of the Christmas celebrations.  In Germany they start early...it sounds like you Danes start even earlier.

Oh, and Anna, if you come I have a VERY ADEQUATLY STOCKED bar, but you'll have to bring your own vermouth and Campari -- preferably a vintage bottle colored with the little bugs, not some coal tar derivatives.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Good morning while it is still morning. Kerry has gone off to emerg as she is on call again today.   The townhouse is beginning to smell a lot like Christmas ( Danish Christmas that is)  as I have prepped the red cabbage and it is slowly braising away in the kitchen.  

We are thinking of a trip to Sudbury again tomorrow.  Suspect if we make it we will not be having breakfast at Nairn Centre. xD

I need to pull together a shopping list so that next week I will be able to do some more cooking.  The time seems to be getting away on me completely.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Christmas is on the 24th?

Of course. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Over on the dinner thread @scubadoo97 took a piece of salmon on a bit of a Korean jaunt. I had a bit of salmon left over from dinner last evening and decided to go in a similar direction. But mine is not half as good but it's not a bad lunch. I broke up the salmon into  large flakes, added some chopped up homemade kimchi then mixed up a sauce of gojuchang, little rice vinegar, a slurp of mirin and drizzled over the top. I piled a few pickled daikon and radish matchsticks on one side for a little extra crunch. 

image.jpeg

So now the kitchen smells of Danish cabbage and Korean cabbage. Hard to choose a favourite. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog