• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2015-2016)

Patrick S

Nice.  I find that I cook it at 420f for 40 min and the internal temp is 170 f.  So I turn the oven down to 400f for another 8 min and it comes up to 208f so it is done.

i also use 4 teaspoons salt if I am not incorporating some cheese into the bread which I have only done once and do not remember the details.

good luck.

cheers

Had leftover bananas that were about to breathe their last, so I made banana bread tonight. And promptly dropped it on the floor, upside down, when I took it out of the oven. After reflection, I think I'm going to make bread pudding with it tomorrow.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Do you have the pot called. For in the recipe?  I did not but went to the used stores and super lucked out and found the exact pot JP calls for.

No, my pans are SS as my stove is induction, so, I figured I would improvise and dirtied a bowl.  I mixed everything up in said bowl am letting it rise in that bowl.  When I knock it down I am going to move it to a loaf pan (totally wrong, I know) which  I will spray with some oil before I plop the dough into it.  Hopefully I will be able to get the bread out of it tomorrow.  I'll check out the used stores next time I'm out.  What  make of pan do you have?  Is it a Teflon pan or an anodized one?

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

No, my pans are SS as my stove is induction, so, I figured I would improvise and dirtied a bowl.  I mixed everything up in said bowl am letting it rise in that bowl.  When I knock it down I am going to move it to a loaf pan (totally wrong, I know) which  I will spray with some oil before I plop the dough into it.  Hopefully I will be able to get the bread out of it tomorrow.  I'll check out the used stores next time I'm out.  What  make of pan do you have?  Is it a Teflon pan or an anodized one?

The recipe calls for a 3 qt non stick pot. I went to Value Village and just plain lucked out to find this for $3.  It is quite heavy.  A T-Fal Ingenio, made in France.

DSC01447.jpgDSC01446.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The recipe calls for a 3 qt non stick pot. I went to Value Village and just plain lucked out to find this for $3.  It is quite heavy.  A T-Fal Ingenio, made in France.

DSC01447.jpgDSC01446.jpg

Nice score.

Last night I put the dough in the loaf pan and since it filled more than half the pan, I sensed disaster looming.  I had visions of the dough rising and spilling over the side.   So my husband said, why not line a 3 quart an with "slide", that non stick foil stuff?  So I figured what the heck, why not, so that's what I did.  This morning I took the pot out of the fridge and despite the fact I had topped it with slide and stuck it's lid on it, a bunch of the dough had flopped over the side. I cut that off and put it in a mini loaf pan.  It is now in the oven.  This is a picture of the "trimmed" pot pre-baking.

20160705_085857.jpg

• Like 3

Come to think of it the pan was another issue that I had tried and failed to resolve. I do not own any non-stick sauce pans and my trips to the thrift stores did not result in a find.  Perhaps I should sic Kerry on that task :D

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here is the baked bread.  The big one is 6 inches high and looks almost monstrous next to his baby brother.  The foil trick worked really well although I will  be on the lookout for a non stick 3 quart pan, assuming I like the bread, that is.  Although.......the pan I used was a 3 quart pan and it proved (proofed?  Ha, ha, a little humour, there) to not be big enough.  Any one else have that problem?

20160705_110001.jpg

• Like 5

Okanagancook, i'm not sure that mine was as wet as his was either, although it was pretty wet.  I watched the video again of him preparing the bread and also went to the end to see if he cut into it, but he never did.  I just cut mine in half and this is what the innards look like.  Thanks for posting about this recipe. 

20160705_164157.jpg

• Like 6

A yeast loaf from a friend's recipe she contends she's been using for 40 years. Quite good. Very nice oven spring. Will be a bit crumbly for sandwiches, but good for toast!

bread 070516.JPG

Forgot to slash, so we have a "separation" near the top of the loaf. Really good oven spring.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Okanagancook, i'm not sure that mine was as wet as his was either, although it was pretty wet.  I watched the video again of him preparing the bread and also went to the end to see if he cut into it, but he never did.  I just cut mine in half and this is what the innards look like.  Thanks for posting about this recipe. 

20160705_164157.jpg

Your crumb is much airier than mine and DH (the bread baker of the house) piped up it is because your dough was wetter than mine.  Next time I am using at least another 1/4 cup to equally JP's Max of 2 1/2 cups.

the bread is great for toast.  Admittedly it doesn't have the flavour my DH's Ken Folish bread.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Your crumb is much airier than mine and DH (the bread baker of the house) piped up it is because your dough was wetter than mine.  Next time I am using at least another 1/4 cup to equally JP's Max of 2 1/2 cups.

the bread is great for toast.  Admittedly it doesn't have the flavour my DH's Ken Folish 

I have made bread with more flavour than this as well, but for the amount of effort expended, i'm a happy camper.   I'm making french toast with this tomorrow. The bread should soak up the egg mixture nicely.

• Like 3

Here is my Cuisinart steam oven bread from last night, the leftovers of which I'm about to serve tonight:

Bread07052016.png

Nothing to complain of with the crust nor crumb, but I cannot scarify the dough properly after proofing in the steam environment.  The dough surface is extremely hydrated.  It's like scarifying silly putty.  The scarifications close right up.  It's sort of like scarifying overproofed loaves, but I don't believe my dough is all that overproofed.

Has anyone managed well slashed loaves in the CSO using their steam proofing method?

Edit:  link to image:

http://tribade.org/Food/Bread07052016.png

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
added link to image (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 6/22/2016 at 10:42 AM, paulraphael said:

I'm activating my very first sourdough starter and am wondering if anyone has recommendations on the best sources for sourdough bread knowledge?

I have Ed Wood's book ... it's alright, but goes out of its way to take a folksy tone and to avoid technical talk. I'm not sure if it's up to date on modern breadbaking techniques.

Also have Reinhart's Breadbaker's apprentice. What's the word on his approach to sourdough?

Any other great sources, online or off?

How is the starter doing, @paulraphael?

Sorry about my delay in responding, I hope my answer will still prove useful. 

I have Reinhart's book, and I love it for yeasted stuff, but for sourdough, I myself look elsewhere.  

How do you like your cookbooks? Dependable? Technical? Full of pictures? Modern? 

-clear and detailed information, dependable formulas and a quiet but contagious love for the craft of breadmaking - J. Hamelman's Bread. If I have a question about sourdough, it's the first reference I check. JH is the Bakery Director at King Arthur Flour, if I'm not mistaken. There are very useful step-by-step drawings, but don't expect many pictures, and you gotta love arithmetic because every formula is given in oz/g for a production environment (10 loaves etc), and only in cups for 1-2 loaves. I can PM you a pic of a formula if my description is not clear. It is technical, yes, however I would not call the book "modern." 

-if you love whole grains check out Tartine nr. 3, by Chad Robertson of the famous Tartine bakery in SF. Definitely modern, the book looks beautiful to me, with its full-page images of incredible crumb shots, but the doughs are so very wet, and I feel my skills level is inadequate at this point (unless I change the formula by holding back some of the water). I love the idea of porridge bread, I just have not been able to successfully make one yet. Bonus points for the wholegrain pastry chapter, it's something valuable to me. 

-I've received in the mail just days ago Sarah Owens's Sourdough. She has won a James Beard award for it. Rustic breads, and other baked goods made with leftover starter (madeleines, pies, savoury tarts, sablés, a bundt, couple cakes etc). Very interesting formulas, there's a nettle and ale bread, smoky chili bread, a turmeric and leek levain, blue corn pain épi. Beautifully photographed. Whole grains. Botanical Latin in the recipe notes. What's not to love?!? Lol. 

Online: 

-the blogs: http://www.wildyeastblog.com and https://www.theperfectloaf.com

-I think @keychris has mentioned http://www.thefreshloaf.com

-youtube for shaping videos (I believe Cyril Hitz has a couple up there and the SFBI) 

-instagram if you want to stare at bread pics - I admit I do :)

Host's note: this topic has been split into multiple segments to reduce the load on our servers.  To see the next delicious installment, click here.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 4