• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing sous vide duck breast in the fridge

Josh71

Activa GS is primarily formulated to be used as a slurry (so much so that Modernist Pantry and ChefSteps say that it is only used this way) though Ajinomoto says you can also add it to mixed or tumbled foods as a powder. If you're joining larger cuts to do some basic restructuring, GS should be used as a slurry. It doesn't work nearly as well as Activa RM does when dusted on the surface of a protein.

I don't know about that... I had a lot of discussion with the Ajinomoto US sales rep a few years ago, back when I was doing a lot of work with it, and he gave me the information I provided in the post above.

He seemed pretty adamant that the GS had a higher bond strength than RM, even when dusted on the surface.