• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duke's vs TJ's mayonnaise taste comparison, please

rotuts

Its been said, even recently, that Mayo is one of the three major food groups.

I completely agree with this assessment.

Dukes mayo has also recently shown us it's stuff on a BLT on Jewish Rye.

Dukes ingredients are here :

https://www.dukesmayo.com/our-products.asp?id=2

and Tj's here :

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=67BC3800-47C5-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

Im interested in how these two compare  as eggs are the second ingredient in each.  not so for Hellmann's and Best.

Eggs are third, but "whole"   :huh: 

Ive had Tj's in the past, and it is indeed Egg-ey.  Nice and Egg-ey

Many are now rushing to buy some Dukes at exorbitant cost, to get in on the ground floor of an Expected Rush.

so if you find yourself w both Dukes and Tj's, consider a double or triple blind taste test, and post your results

For the Team here.

FD: The Team will not reimburse you for the Dukes.  Sorry.

I won't be getting any Dukes soon because :

Mayo.jpg

Helmann's.   I get these when they go on sale for $ 1.99 .  I try to have a few left when they again go on sale for $ 1.99

this seems to be twice a year in my area. Next sale due in Spring 2016.  these jars stay on the floor, not in the cabinet that goes to the ceiling.  I like to keep an

eye on them. If there is another sale before Spring 2016, I can easily see how my Position is doing.

If I went w Dukes, as $ 16.00 for two, ( less for more its true ) Id have to cut into my TJ's 'Pre-Fizz' account and move back to the Lower Shelf.

anyway, if you recently got bitten by the Dukes Bug, please post your Natural Course here

many thanks.

PS : if you only have Dukes, pls feel free to chime in just on that brand.

thanks again

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I'm from the south and grew up with Duke's, and I'll pick up a jar or two when I go home to visit family. But I don't consider it to be vastly superior to Hellmann's. I haven't done a "Pepsi Challenge" blind tasting of either, so maybe I have a clear preference that I'm just not aware of. In most applications, I prefer to just make my own anyway. But sometimes only stuff from a jar will do.

• Like 1

"" hundreds of pounds of potato salad worth of mayo. ""

I think of it not as amount by weight, but by time:  months worth

Im set until June 2016 or so

$ 1.99 vs $ 4.49 +   same stuff.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I love Duke's brand, as it has no sugar. It's a GRITS (girl raised in the South) staple, but I could never go through the quantity rotus seems to before it expired. In fact I despise rancid, off tastes, and refrigerate an unopened jar of mayo as soon as I bring it home. 

My RN mom pretty much used Miracle Whip based on the current health info back then, and we were okay with it, but most kids have a sweet tooth. I cannot stand Miracle Whip now.

I'd be willing to try TJ's because it has no sugar, but since it has only apple cider vinegar and a small amount of lemon juice as the acid component I'd be skeptical. Duke's has some cider vinegar too, but not enough to put me off of it. To my personal palate, I often prefer the bright, clean taste of white distilled vinegar to cider. The exception is in salad dressing for something with apples in it. Also, TJ's ditches the calcium disodium EDTA in Duke's. I really like the lemon idea; that has promise. Depending on the strength of the concentration of lemon it could be more of a contribution than it's last place in line of ingredients by weight suggests. If it tastes anything like bottled and preserved lemon juice, my first experiment will be my last.  :biggrin:

Here in the Raleigh/Cary area Duke's is not what I consider expensive. It's normally $3.99 a quart at the grocery store, and goes on sale sometimes for $2.99. You can also pick it up for $3.50 a quart every day at the dollar store, but I agree 8 bucks a quart is ridicules.  :wacko:

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

A question for rotuts...

What the hell do you do with all that mayonnaise?

When there was a BOGO sale on Dukes at our local Publix grocery store I picked up 8 and had room in the pantry to store them. It's been about a year but I noticed that the last one was opened. They don't go bad in that time frame so why not if you have room to store them

When there was a BOGO sale on Dukes at our local Publix grocery store I picked up 8 and had room in the pantry to store them. It's been about a year but I noticed that the last one was opened. They don't go bad in that time frame so why not if you have room to store them

I just cannot imagine. Granted I am a solo household but one, perhaps two, would serve me fine for a year. I am talking a regular squeeze bottle (750 ml).

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Have my adult son who currently lives with us and eats a sous vide chicken sandwich 5 days a week. Between sandwiches and making mayo based dressings on occasion we seen to go through it. Me personally, a tomato sandwich with mayo is good eats

""   eats a sous vide chicken sandwich 5 days a week. Between sandwiches and making mayo based dressings on occasion we seen to go through it. Me personally, a tomato sandwich with mayo is good eats ""

smart, clear thinking.  Right here on eG.

:biggrin:

I eat a lot of sandwiches during the summer.  I have my own HM(M)Bread, lots of SV choices in the freezer.  Now home-made ( soon ) potato salad (s)

all I have to do is add soup in the fall.

I might not make it to the next sale !

081.jpg

Hellman's on left, Duke's on right.

Dukes was creamier and had less "body", it was a shade or two more yellow than H's

D's was just a little more oily in the mouth and maybe more eggy.

H's had a slightly greater tang.

When tasted blindly there wasn't a clear difference except for the texture.

But when does one eat spoons of mayo? In a pot. salad I think they'd be equivalent even given D's hideous oiliness.

• Like 3

But when does one eat spoons of mayo? In a pot. salad I think they'd be equivalent even given D's hideous oiliness.

Right before I close up the jar and return it to the refrigerator.

• Like 3

From left to right:  Best Foods, Dukes, Trader Joes:

spoons.jpg

plate.jpg

Like gfweb said, who eats this stuff with a spoon? Not me.  But I did try some tastes.  Dukes and Trader Joes are both a bit more yellow than Best Foods.  Like gfweb reported, Dukes has somewhat heavier, more oily (maybe eggy?) texture.  A little more like a homemade mayo.  I find my homemade mayo too heavy for my standard comfort food tuna or egg salad sandwiches.  Dukes wasn't that heavy, but leaned a little in that direction as compared with the lighter, more fluffy texture of Best Foods.  To me, Best Foods also tasted a little more salty and sour. 

Trader Joes was very similar to Dukes in color.  I thought the texture and flavor of Trader Joes were midway between Best Foods and Dukes but I believe they are different. 

tomato.jpg

All three tasted fine with some tomato on toast.  Having grown up with Hellman's, Best Foods is my standard west coast mayo but I'd use any of these three on a sandwich.

I boiled up some eggs this AM and I could try mixing up some little batches of egg salad but I'm not sure I want to go through the trouble.  I'll post if I do.  

Curious to hear from rotuts. 

Edited to add:  Of these 3, Best Foods is the only one to add sugar.  I tried to taste for differences in sweetness but couldn't really pick up a strong difference.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3