• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do With Bread Crusts

Shel_B

Often we get this bread  (Pain Pauline) from TJ's and I often toast a couple of slices and then remove the crusts.  What interesting uses are there for toasted whole wheat crusts like these:

Bread Crusts.jpg

I'd hate to just toss them, although I suppose they could be fed to the pigeons and gulls at the park.  Is there a better use?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Why wouldn't you toast them in butter or oil and make lovely crumbs for pasta and salads?  Check out this Ruth Reichl Tuscan kale recipe  for example  http://www.ruthreichl.com/2011/11/my-spicy-tuscan-kale.html

I dry crusts like that first in oven, smash, and then do the oil/butter toast treatment

Edited by heidih (log)

Why wouldn't you toast them in butter or oil and make lovely crumbs for pasta and salads?  Check out this Ruth Reichl Tuscan kale recipe  for example  http://www.ruthreichl.com/2011/11/my-spicy-tuscan-kale.html

I dry crusts like that first in oven, smash, and then do the oil/butter toast treatment

Because sometimes I am unimaginative, other times certain things escape me .... thanks!

... Shel

If you just have a few, freeze until you have a collection.

Toast in the oven plain and then run them in a blender or food processor to make breadcrumbs. These are useful for breading fried foods, adding to meatballs and meatloaf, falafel, topping gratins/casseroles, etc. Breadcrumbs can also be frozen for later use.

Dice a bunch of them and then make bread pudding.

Dice and drizzle with olive oil and herbs, and bake or saute to make croutons.

Croutons for salads and/or soups.

This time of year I'm drawn to panzanella salad, but not sure if the crusts-only would be suitable for everyone.  

I always run old bread through processor for bread crumbs which I keep in freezer.  

Maybe a savor bread pudding would also work.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)

The Splendid Table just published this recipe for Summer Tomato Pudding the base of which is supposed to be sliced stale bread. You could easily sub your crusts in there.

Also, stuffing can be made in so many ways that you could probably have it at least once a week and never get tired of it.