• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

Kerry Beal

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
sarahdwyer
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

Lurking waiting to decide

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

Saturday dinner list  - one ovolacto vegetarian

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls
Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

13 minutes ago, boris on eG said:

Hi Kerry,

Could you please sign me up for dinner as well. Also didn't see my name on the main list.  I'm not seeing any itinarary for the weekend could you give me a link to that as well.

Regards,

Boris

How about Morato?

Let me see if I can put together a bit of an itinerary. Not totally firmed up yet.

Thursday for those who arrive - the Morato Demo is at George Brown 4-6:30 - so earlier than it would have been at Humber. 

Friday am - I'm hoping we can set up the Soma visit for around 11 am. Then visit a shop or two and head back to Gouter (which is where everything will be held) around dinner time. Doesn't look like there is enough interest in a Master Class to pull that off. Rodney plans to make some lasagna - so those who don't want to eat out can have a bite before the show and tell - that will probably start around 7:30. Usually a bit of wine accompanies show and tell (BYOB).

Saturday we will likely start at Gouter at around 8 or 8:30 - Saturday am will be some didactic teaching. We'll have pastries etc for a bite Saturday and Sunday mornings and we'll put together lunch as we have in the past - a variety of breads, cold cuts, cheese, salads from which you can assemble something. After lunch we start to play - you might want to identify areas you want someone to help you with - or equipment you want to try so that you can plan your time accordingly. We usually go until around 5 on Saturday. 

Saturday evening is dinner - we haven't confirmed the chef yet - but we are working on a couple of options. Likely we'll aim for around 7 pm. 

Sunday we continue to play and teach each other what we know - usually starting around 8 or 8:30 and we usually wrap up around 4. We need to clean up after ourselves as we don't have the budget to pay someone to do this for us - so keep that in mind. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DianaM said:

Kerry, 

Is the offer for the IR thermometers for $20 still valid? If so, I'd like one as well.  

Thank you!

I got 6 - taking two back (have taken them all out of their packages to test) because they're not accurate. I'll test out the replacement two to make sure that they are OK. So short answer Yep there's plenty.

The stuff from Chocolat-chocolat will be picked up end of this week likely - so if you want to add something to that order give them a call ASAP.

• Like 1

Thank you for being patient with me, Kerry. 

Please put me down as a definite for the Friday visit to Soma, as well as the Saturday and Sunday learning sessions. 

(Sadly) no for Morato, Friday show and tell, Saturday dinner. 

Diana

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
sarahdwyer
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

Saturday dinner list  - one ovolacto vegetarian

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls

Hi Kerry,

Thanks so much for the itinerary but it raised more questions. I googled Gouter but no luck so if you could post the address that would be appreciated. Also what happens at show and tell? Do we bring something? While I have your attention I might as well ask for a thermometer as well.

Thanks,

Boris 

Headed over Rodney's today - much discussion and firming up of various things.

1. Master Class still on - so lots more hands on for the 3 participants! Anyone else want to join - let me know. Cost will be $125. Suggestions for anything else you might want to learn - bring them on!

2. David of Soma would like us to limit to 20 people (they are still in the old location and it's not huge!) - which with the master class going on and our numbers should not be an issue

3. Think that doing pizza on Friday night instead of lasagna pre show and tell would work nicely - we've got a deck oven and we can compose our own! Somewhere between $15 to $20 per depending on the number of people.

4. Think we'll do a lot of the workshop in the unfinished upstairs part of Goûter - the space is huge. So we benefit from the delay in the finishing of the cafe. We can set up tables and then when we want to run things through the enrober we can run them downstairs - will give people a lot more space to work. 

5. Hoping that Signature Fine Foods will give us a couple of discovery boxes of Power Flowers to sell on consignment - I'll get a price for those if they go for it. 

12 minutes ago, boris on eG said:

Hi Kerry,

Thanks so much for the itinerary but it raised more questions. I googled Gouter but no luck so if you could post the address that would be appreciated. Also what happens at show and tell? Do we bring something? While I have your attention I might as well ask for a thermometer as well.

Thanks,

Boris 

Goûter is located at 3507 Bathurst Street - it's just under 3 km from the hotel. Right now you will see another sign above the store and paper on the windows. 

Show and tell is where we bring something we want the group to try out - perhaps something you are particularly proud of - or even something you might want opinions on flavour/decorating techniques etc. And typically we drink a bit a wine while we are doing it! Valuable lesson learned a few years ago by Tikidoc I think - if you are driving - don't leave your show and tell chocolates in the back seat of the car where the sun can get at them!

• Like 1

Really like the way the itinerary is shaping up! Looking forward to seeing everyone old & new.

For Friday make you own pizzas in a deck oven sounds like fun and $10 sounds good to me.

• Like 2

Rodney says I'm going to lose points (and money) on costing! Guess that's why he's running a profitable business and my day job supports mine. I think we may need to charge a titch more for the pizza if we are going to have quality toppings! What do you think the market will bear?

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Rodney says I'm going to lose points (and money) on costing! Guess that's why he's running a profitable business and my day job supports mine. I think we may need to charge a titch more for the pizza if we are going to have quality toppings! What do you think the market will bear?

Hmmm... are you including non-alcoholic beverages too or just the pizza?

Just now, curls said:

Hmmm... are you including non-alcoholic beverages too or just the pizza?

Clearly hadn't thought it through in the slightest - should be providing water, pop (or what you yanks call soda) and salad.

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Clearly hadn't thought it through in the slightest - should be providing water, pop (or what you yanks call soda) and salad.

Well then, I'd be willing to pay up to $20 CDN.  ;-) 
$15 would be better than $20 but you need to cover your costs & eGulleters like quality toppings. :-)

Let me do some better math - probably better get an idea of how many we are feeding to make it balance correctly. I'll change it in the original post for now.

• Like 1

Ok - so we'll go for $20 and make sure to buy the name brand Coke and the best brand of cheese! That will give us a little contingency just in case.

On 4/25/2016 at 8:26 AM, Kerry Beal said:

The stuff from Chocolat-chocolat will be picked up end of this week likely - so if you want to add something to that order give them a call ASAP.

If we want to order a few things, should we just call so they hold them for you? Thinking of that cute frog mold...