• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Rick Bayless's "More Mexican Everyday"

Chris Hennes

Coconut-Lime Ice Pops (p. 363)

DSC_9832.jpg

And so I'm finally relegated to making stuff from the desserts chapter. The dead-last recipe in the book is for these ice pops, which are just coconut milk, lime juice and zest, and sugar. If I had read the paragraph more carefully I would have seen that he suggests using a coconut milk with a stabilizer added, and you can clearly see why in my decidedly un-stabilized pops. Tasted great. Probably not supposed to be layered, though!

• Like 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Grilled Tostadas with Bacon, Avocado Mayo and Heirloom Tomatoes (p. 150)

DSC_9847.jpg

This is Bayless's take on a BLT a la Mexico. The last time I made tlayudas, from Fiesta at Rick's, I used tortillas that were too fresh, so they never quite got as cracker-crisp as I gather they are supposed to. This time I took his advice in the recipe and used factory-made tortillas, which worked much better than homemade. They got completely crispy after being brushed with bacon drippings and grilled. Topped with an avocado-serrano mayonnaise, fresh tomatoes, and bacon, these were delicious, if not particularly Mexican-tasting. 

• Like 4

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Mexican Chocolate-Pumpkin Seed Cake (p. 338)

DSC_9864.jpg

This cake is mostly pumpkin seeds and sugar, with a tiny bit of flour and a few eggs added to hold it together. Which means the taste was excellent. I used raw pumpkin seeds that I toasted just beforehand, and added a bit of salt to the recipe to compensate for not using pre-salted seeds. I did include the optional tequila, and used the Taza 60% dark chocolate. Overall it was a really good rustic-style cake. One thing I'd change next time was the topping. He calls for simply adding whole seeds and granulated sugar to the pan before baking, but I wasn't thrilled with the texture or aesthetics of that solution. Much better would be to make some caramel-glazed pumpkin seeds and scatter them on top, maybe with a dusting of shredded chocolate as well. Probably too finicky for this book, but the effect would be better, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Mussels with Salsa Macha, Mexican Beer and Ham (p. 333)

DSC_9875.jpg

I hear that some people actually eat the bivalves when they make steamed mussels. I'm not one of them. For me, these dishes are all about the broth, and this one was pretty good. Not my favorite, and considering that I don't really like mussels themselves I won't make this dish again, but the salsa macha and homemade stock yielded a cooking broth that was flavorful, if not as rich as I would have liked.

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Xoco's Granola (p. 228)

DSC_9882.jpg

This is a pretty standard granola (with lots of nuts and seeds), with the exception of the inclusion of a large amount of puffed amaranth. I couldn't find anyplace to purchase puffed amaranth locally, so I bought it unpuffed and then followed the instructions here for puffing. After burning a couple batches I got the hang of it. Hard to say whether it was worth the trouble. 

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Fresh Corn in Spicy-Herby Broth (p. 144)

DSC_9890.jpg

Another dish made by the inclusion of epazote. In this dish you make a broth from the corn husks and cobs, then cook the corn in it with a lot of epazote and some green chile. Served with queso fresco, mayonnaise, and lime juice, it was delicious.

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris, do you think the epazote is an absolute must for the dishes you've made with it? I've never seen it in the markets here. Obviously, things will taste different without epazote, but in your opinion would it make the dishes not worth the trouble?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Epazote has certainly been a highlight of a number of these dishes, but there are really only two that I think you shouldn't bother with if you can't get it: Chicken with Roasted Tomatillos, Poblanos and Potatoes, which I think would have been pretty pedestrian with cilantro, and that Fresh Corn in Spicy-Herby Broth, which hinged on the epazote to make it pop.

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Banana Pepper-Leek Soup with White Beans and Crispy Chorizo (p. 212)

DSC_9906.jpg

In retrospect it may have been a little too warm to serve soup today, but I needed to use the leeks and peppers. This soup was pretty good. Not amazing, but worth making. My one criticism is more of my chorizo than of the recipe. I think the soup needed one more textural element, something crispy, and the chorizo I use was too finely ground to really fit the bill. A crisp bacon or pancetta would have been nice, or even just some croutons. Or a coarser chorizo, probably.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris, I have to say, I am getting more enthusiastic about your approach to new cookbooks. Cooking from them a ton to familiarize yourself with what the book is all about. Thank you for that. I am winding up to tackling one of my new books with this approach.

• Like 1

Chipotle Meatballs (p. 117)

DSC_9916.jpg

I was hopeful that these meatballs would be as good as the ones at Tortas, but they weren't, quite. In particular I think I should have ground the beef through a fine die, and the pork through the medium, or maybe even split the pork into lean and fat and ground the lean coarse -- instead I used the medium die for everything. My memory of the meatballs at Tortas is that there were some relatively large chunks of meat in them. I'd also be inclined to cook over substantially higher heat next time when searing them. The recipe calls for "medium", but I think on my range medium-high would have resulted in better browning. The sauce turned out well, and overall the dish was good, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping for.

• Like 4

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Raspberry Soft-Serve Ice Cream (p. 361)

DSC_9924.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of fruit-flavored ice cream. For me, it's sorbet for fruit, and ice cream for chocolate, nuts, etc. I'm sure this was a respectable exemplar, but I found the flavor of the powdered milk a bit off-putting. That said, the xanthan does give a great texture, and if you like fruity ice creams this might be worth trying.

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Grilled Red Chile Ribs (p. 308)

DSC_9928.jpg

With any recipe I write about there is always the possibility that I screwed it up without realizing it, and I wind up writing about something the author didn't intend to create: tonight was almost one of those nights. At its heart this dish is just baby back ribs marinated in quick red chile adobo and then grilled. It was never going to be bad, of course, but as we started eating my wife and I discussed how it was sort of lackluster. It needed some kind of punch. A punch like, you know, the tomatillo salsa sitting directly in my line of sight in the blender jar, uneaten. So, a review of the ribs without the salsa: meh. A review with the salsa: very good. The acidity of the tomatillos really plays nicely with the sweetened adobo, and greatly improved the overall dish. Don't forget it!

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

75%!  Your enthusiasm, commitment and tenacity...and no doubt a few more good qualities...are really admirable.   :smile:  :smile:  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have to say,  Chris, you are winning me over to your method of acquainting yourself with a new cookbook.  I've kinda done a "mini-Chris" approach to Down South.  I think I will get after this once I don't have to scramble around figuring out how I am going to use the produce that is coming out of my garden.  Thank god for Eat Your Books.

• Like 1

Black Bean Rice with Plantains and Smoky Pork (p. 254)

DSC_9937.jpg

Neither my cilantro nor the green onions survived long enough this week to make it into this dish, so it plates up pretty plain-looking, but the taste is really quite good. The plantains work well with the beans and pork, giving a sweet counterpoint to their richness. I'm afraid mine didn't end up as dark as Bayless's, I did not have that much bean cooking liquid left so just increased the chicken stock to compensate. 

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Celery Root Pancakes (p. 208)

DSC_9960.jpg

I posted about these before, but they are really good, and really easy, so I made them again for lunch today. Actually, I made one large one. I also put the full quantity of chipotles into the cakes instead of splitting half into the crema (fewer dirty dishes). I also used baking instead of boiling potatoes since that's what I had on hand.

The recipe is simple: for every egg, add 1 celery root bulb (peeled and shredded) and 1/2 lb potato (shredded). Mix in chopped chipotle chile to taste (I used three per egg) plus a handful of chopped cilantro. Fry them up, and serve with crema and queso anejo (Bayless has you mix half the chipotles into the crema rather than putting them all into the cakes). What you see in that photo is one egg's worth, but of course the recipe scales easily.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Fresh Butter-Bean Enfrijoladas (p. 166)

DSC_9978.jpg

Actually, the recipe is for fava bean enfrijoladas, but I'm having a hard time sourcing favas, so I thought I'd give the recipe a go with speckled butter beans instead. It comes out less photogenic, that's for sure! The favas would give a nice pale green color (at least, according to the photo in the book), rather than the murky brown from the butter beans. 

Aesthetics aside, the inclusion of the salad on top and a hefty dose of hot sauce are the critical components for a successful dish here. Use a very acidic hot sauce here... I really liked Valentina. You need to use one that is low-heat enough that you can use a lot of it, otherwise the bean sauce is sort of blah. For the greens almost anything would work, you just need the crunchy texture as a foil for the rest of the dish.

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Yellow Mole with Grilled Fennel and Portobello Mushrooms (p. 204)

DSC_0032.jpg

The main recipe for this dish calls for fennel fronds as the herb component of the mole (and thus the dominant flavor). In the intro he explains that this should really be made with hoja santa, but he has a hard time getting it at the store and it doesn't grow well in Chicago. Well, it grows very well in Oklahoma as it turns out, so I un-substituted the fennel fronds, using an equivalent amount of hoja santa in its place. I did still serve it with a grilled fennel bulb, which actually was the weakest part of the dish. I liked the potatoes and mushrooms, and sauce was particularly interesting as a showcase for the hoja santa, but the fennel remained too firm for my tastes.

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Crispy Cakes of Greens, Potato and Green Chile (p. 132)

DSC_0046.jpg

I have a soft spot for panko-breaded pretty much anything, so these were a no-brainer. The filling is lightly cooked mixed greens (I used mustard and kale), plus potato, jalapeño, and queso añejo. Standard panko breading technique, then shallow-fried until crisp. I served them with a roasted tomato salsa and RG pinto beans. 

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

"Sturdy Greens" Salad with Mango and Habanero (p. 138)

DSC_0054.jpg

This is a relatively sweet salad that I think would be a great "exotic" salad course for guests. It contains a good mix of sweet and acidic ingredients, and slightly unusual greens. It's not something that appears on that many menus, but fills the same sort of slot as the near-ubiquitous spinach-strawberry-poppyseed salads.

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Creamy Zucchini, Corn, and Roasted Poblanos (p. 52)

Calabacitas y Elote con Rajas y Crema

This simple taco filling is just sauteed zucchini and corn mixed into rajas with crema and cilantro. I've never met a rajas-based dish I didn't like, and this was no exception. It has a great rich flavor, and I loved it topped with crumbled cotija. Once again I used cilantro instead of epazote. I should have started the seeds earlier!

Thanks for recommending this recipe. I made it tonight and it was delicious. The poblanos I used are the hottest I have ever tasted. I only used half as much as called for in the recipe and it was plenty. Too bad because poblanos are generally a favorite. I didn't have crema so used 2:1 heavy cream:sour cream and thought it was an acceptable sub.

Do you have the original Mexican Everyday? I made the creamy corn soup from that book and was a little disappointed. It wasn't "corny" enough. 

• Like 2