• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes: The avocado rolls are a pain to make....but we all love them.

I cut the avocado into thin slices(from end to end) and lay them overlapping on the moist rice paper wrapper. The dark strip is closest to the skin, and the "white"part is the centre of the avocado. A green lettuce leaf is then laid on top before adding the long strips of cucumber, carrot, and shredded lettuce. I don't make them very often as it is painstakingly slow to get down that first layer. The bamboo sushi mats are a must...

Unfortunately, we live on the prairies, the middle of Canada, and frozen claws and legs are all we can get. One of the stores had a sale and  new cases had come in - early warning from the fish clerk. Shoppers were allowed limit of 4 bags each trip @ 18.99 each instead of the $25.99...so I made a couple of trips that week. We enjoyed 9 bags and I hid 3 more in the depths of my freezer. I think each of the bags were about 900 grams each. It was the first time for our 3 year old granddaughter and she loved it.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

20150518_165821_zpsgdr8exb5.jpg

Dinner today was apple wrapped pork loin.

20150518_170520_zpsxehdktxx.jpg

Served with gravy, potatoes , pepper  and the meat was succulent and  flavourful, normally I do this dish in autumn but we had apples at home for a change.

20150518_202806%201_zps1tifgpe7.jpg

Dessert wasnt on the menu until my neighbour came with fresh picked rhubarb and I turned into  rhubarb meringue   pie.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 11

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

JoNorvelleWalker, very nice looking baguette.

Pizza was on the menu tonight.  Two with  sourdough crusts.  Baked on the grill in a Bakerstone Pizza Oven.

First out of the oven 

Greek%20Pizza%20Sourdough%20Crust%20May%

My son's - Greek Potato, Feta and Kalamata Olive pizza.

Pizza%20Sausage%20and%20Mushrooms%20May%  

Ours - Italian Sausage and Mushrooms.

Pizza%20Sausage%20and%20Mushrooms%20May%

Sourdough Crust.

• Like 13

JoNorvelleWalker, very nice looking baguette.

Ann, thank you.  A high compliment  from you who posts the most beautiful loaves of all.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

And now, I'm salivating for all of the above, in particular, baguette and pizza...Ann_T, your hands are the most magical with 

breads!

Smithy: We didn't get snow in the city, but it came down all around us. It was a chilly dreary day though and it dipped down to -4C last night!

So for supper, I wanted something warm and comforting: Steamed tilapia with loads of ginger, green onion, cilantro, white pepper, a dash of Chinese cooking wine and soy sauce. 

eGullet Tilapia6347.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's been snowing on my mom in Colorado, too.  I feel sorry for all of you snow-getters :(  I hope it stops soon!!!

I love crab, Dejah, but what I really want is a couple of those avocado rolls.  YUM.

Nice sear on the scallops LiamsAunt and Smithy.

I'm jealous of everyone's rhubarb!

I was perusing through Ann T's website looking for dinner ideas and spotted her Lemon, Sea Salt and Black Pepper wings.  Totally fit the bill.  VERY good.  Thanks Ann!!!

photo 4.JPG

Rice and greens from the garden to go with.

photo 5.JPG

• Like 11

I make large batches of chicken stock which act as the foundation to most, if not all, of my sauces. I generally make two separate stocks: One using carcasses and/or whole birds, with plenty of aromatics, for use in soups, cooking of vegetables, risottos, and the like. For sauces, I make stock solely from the wings and feet, for the purpose of attaining as gelatinous a stock as possible. In this case, I do not add many aromatics. Simply a little carrot and onion, maybe a leek. This is then used to produce all sorts of meat jus (most commonly veal and chicken) as well fish and lobster stock, which act as the base to most of the sauces I make. Building sauces is truly one of my favorite parts of cooking. 

Thanks. Great tips. I make chicken stock regularly but only ever using the first style you mentioned. I'll give it a go with the wings/feet too. 

• Like 1