• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Where are you people getting all of those tree trunk-thick asparagus?

The only asparagus I see in my local grocery stores is thin to super skinny (pencil asparagus). Not that I'm complaining it's just I am finding it curious to see such thick spears in a lot of the dinner photos posted in this thread.

I certainly agree with you, I'm not sure where they are getting those trees but I'm glad they are getting them and not us! I certainly prefer the small pencil like spears we are getting here, they are much more tender.

I thought y'all might like to take a gander at this one spear, part of a bundle I picked up last weekend.

DSCN4824a_800.jpg

• Like 5

Happy Preakness Day!!!!!!  (GO Firing Line)  I wouldn't be sad to see AP win so we could root for a triple crown....... (sorry..I'll stop with the horse talk now ;) )

In between storms yesterday I went out and picked some more spinach and collard greens.  The greens are as tender as the spinach right now so I used both in a lasagna.

Started with salad made from assorted lettuce from the garden and a couple of green onions.

photo 1.JPG

Then we moved on to the lasagna.  I need to find a pan that is deeper, but around the same width.  I always have an overflow problem.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 8

Made a turkey roll

Wright Bacon --Top layer

Turkey thigh ground/ hard garlic salami/ fontina cheese/ chedder/ Red devil sauce/ parsley/ ritz crackers

Smoked 2 hrs w/ mesquite wood

17560805269_4c7409e801_k.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 7

Its good to have Morels

Man all the food on this page looks so great. Bonvivant, steamed buns look perfect. Huiray your pasta is just tip top.

Shelby beautiful frittata and Kim Shook that poppy cake looks just wow.

• Like 4

tumblr_noilbgazQI1utp7sio2_1280.jpg

tumblr_noilbgazQI1utp7sio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_noilbgazQI1utp7sio3_1280.jpg

tumblr_noilbgazQI1utp7sio4_1280.jpg

Oysters

Asparagus with Yolk, Pancetta, and Marrow Sauce (Marrow, capers, shallot, anchovy, garlic, mustard, butter, verjus) and some picked radishes

Serratus ventralis (beef rib) with cauliflower puree, demi glace, 4 hour roast carrot and parsnip, marrow, and persilade (Parsley, shallot, garlic, mustard, anchovy, capers, EVOO)

Persimmon and strawberry compote (with vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange and lemon) with gin and tonic granita, candied ginger and caramel and macadamia

Sorry about the large photos...my plating could do with some work but it tasted pretty good.

Edited by Mendel C-k (log)
  • Like 6

• Marinated beef slices stir-fried w/ lots of garlic & bittergourd slices.  White rice.

• Soup – Water, garlic, oil, fresh shiitake mushrooms, fresh wood-ear fungus, dried scallops, chicken stock, sliced de-ridged angled loofah, cellophane noodles.

DSCN4867a_800.jpg

DSCN4869a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Happy Birthday to me.  I had my family over for my birthday.  What do you make when you have nine people, one pescatarian, one who eats absolutely no vegetables, one allergic to crustaceans, and one aging Dad with health issues whose favorite food is pizza?  Pizza.  It was too warm to cook inside without turning on the AC (which I refuse to do in May, especially after our record breaking 100+ inches of snow this winter).  So I grilled them.  I got a new grill a couple of weeks ago, and am still getting used to it, but overall am pleased.  

Pepperoni (for the non-vegetable brother and my pepperoni loving nephew)

grilled pepperoni pizza.jpg

Eggplant (for my Mom, sister, and me)

eggplant pizza.jpg

Peppers and onions (for my husband)

pepper pizza.jpg

Margarita (for my niece)

grilled margarita pizza.jpg

Dad was thrilled, which made me happy.  Leftovers divided up among all for lunches during the week.

• Like 9

image.jpg

Salad with SV chicken breast (oh so juicy and tender!) and a creamy garlic dressing.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, we celebrated grandson's 17th birthday, and his little sister's 3rd birthday. Food requested by the families was Alaskan King Crab. We cleaned up every leg and claw, along with corn on the cob, taters, marinated vegetables, avocado vegetable rolls and a lb. of garlic butter!

This was the first batch of crab while the second batch was steaming...

eGulletFoodHorizontalSpread6258.jpg

For dessert, we had DQ Oreo Cookies ice cream cake AND the first rhubarb pie of the season.

eGulletRhubarb6250.jpg

It's May in Manitoba, and the weather is miserable...windy with gusts up to 90 km/h! It started raining yesterday afternoon, and by this afternoon, we were getting ice pellets. Now, evening...snow is falling!

Kids requested black bean garlic beef and bitter melon for supper - hard to believe my kids call this "comfort food". Eaten with lots of rice and fuzzy melon soup.

eGulletBeef & Bitter Melon6341.jpg

Now, some hot chocolate and snuggling on the couch under blankets...

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, you have the snow now, we're getting it tomorrow.  Meanwhile, today between thunderstorms I realized that it's GREEN and it suddenly (truly, within a day) smells like our northern spring.  I don't know what plant(s) make that smell (newly-leafing alder? willow?), but it's distinctive - and magical.

The ramps are up in our woods, and the markets have good asparagus.  I scored some scallops (marked down for quick sale) this weekend.  Dinner was seared scallops with asparagus, ramps, and prosciutto with caper butter, over rice. Bread from today's baking exercise, warm from the oven.

Scallops ramps asparagus prosciutto caper butter rice.jpg

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A late night snack...a few ladles of the just-done pot of chicken stock/broth, w/ purple & green pencil asparagus plus baby zucchini scattered into it and zapped briefly.

DSCN4873a_800.jpg

• Like 6

Dejah,

All of the food looks particularly good for your birthday spread.

Congratulations on being able to afford to feed your family and grandson and granddaughter wild Alaskan king crab legs. They are unparalleled when they fit the budget, no question. Not only are they delicious beyond comprehension, but did you ever check out the incredible nutrition on them? It makes them even easier to justify in the food outlay.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4160/2

I have a question about your beautiful avocado rolls?

How do you achieve that dark green and light green affect on the wrap? You rarely see that even in the best sushi bars here.

It's really attractive.  :smile:

PS: The neighbor brought me a piece of ice cream cake tonight (not homemade). I scarfed it down anyway, but the layers did not taste like they were supposed to. The white ice cream had NO vanilla. The brown ice cream layer tasted only faintly of chocolate. The brown cookie-textured layer between them tasted of no chocolate at all. I ate it anyway because I've been dieting, and was starved for a sweet "treat". Sure wish I'd spent the calories on something better.  :blush:

But I would have happily scarfed up a piece of your rhubarb pie with no regrets at all!

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <