• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Gift Baskets For Customers

Shelby

Well, my first commitment is finished.  24 boxes of Enstrom copycat toffee.  It's the world's best.  Trust me.  I never even like toffee until I tasted this one.  But 4 batches for an old lady trying at the same time to settle into a strange house is just too much.  You will notice that the boxes sport NO ribbons, bows or other furbellows. 

P1010001_20.JPG

P1010002_20.JPG

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I think you're both awesome!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Eleven baskets finished and loaded in the car.  

O M G.  I'm tired.

I announced my retirement from the baskets tonight.  They wrote back "you said that last year".   I wrote back "I mean it this year"........so we'll see .....

The bows (as I showed earlier) were all hand made by me out of wired burlap.

I bought the tags from a person on Etsy--they were plain.  I wrote and stamped them myself.  I also stamped the bread wraps.

Baskets bought on Amazon.

Close up of bread

photo 2.JPG

Breads all wrapped

photo 1.JPG

Items that go inside each basket.

Summer sausage, candies, cheese, crackers, cookies, homemade zucchini bread, cotton candy

photo 3.JPG

Close up

photo 1.jpg

Eleven ready to go

photo.JPG

I haven't added up total cost.  I'll do that when I get a chance and post.  

Time for a large refill of wine......I'm gonna go prop up in bed, drink and relax.

Thanks again all for helping me.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 9

Those are beautiful! I'm very surprised that the bows are made of burlap - wired or not, that fabric looks like a finer weave and pattern than any burlap I've ever seen.  I must say, your handwriting is LOVELY - you could decorate/write a card for me any day!  The contents look wonderful, and every recipient should feel honored.  Congratulations!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks everyone!  I'm glad they are finished.

I forgot to mention that the cotton candy flavors are cinnamon stick, candy cane and gingerbread.  They taste very good and I think they add a fun "pop" to the baskets.

The baskets are absolutely beautiful, Shelby! You definitely deserved that top up on the wine and now, a long winter's rest!

Next year, can you supervise the making of the baskets (if you do them at all) and just hire a couple of young neighbourhood teens to assemble them? Or perhaps you can just buy a few things to go in a 'basket' of some kind and call it a 'make it yourself' kit? And the following year, just give out gift cards for Costco baskets.

I trailed a few people around Costco the other day who were obviously picking out 'baskets' for their 'customers' or employees - definitely not of the quality (nor made with the love you add) yours are, but, maybe it IS time for you to retire and rest on your laurels. At Christmas, just post pictures of all your past baskets around your office and savour the memories.

• Like 3

Candy 2.pngCandy bags.pngI finally finished my yearly candymania and am giving out my candy bags. I packed 38 bags - some to people important to our business, most to friends and family. The first picture (I hope - i am not good at these attachments) is of the contents of a typical bag. I am an absolute amateur and only make candy once a year so it is always another learning curve - but so much fun and everyone seems to enjoy receiving them. 

Not exactly FROM the kitchen but very much FOR the kitchen - for my daughter and nieces this year I also made aprons aprons.png 

Elaina

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Darienne - I really have no excuse for making candy any other time of year and I love doing it. It is with great difficulty that i restrain myself from making twice as much. Of course the cost of materials is a restraining factor. 

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina