• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

Just wondering what kind of birthday surprise Anna has in mind for you today?

It would be a huge surprise to Kerry if I had a surprise which is my way of saying no surprises to my regret.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It would be a huge surprise to Kerry if I had a surprise which is my way of saying no surprises to my regret.

Surprises are greatly overrated. 

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Breakfast this morning was once again Braunschweiger and tomatoes on toast. I love tomatoes but they do not always return the favour and today I am well aware of that! So I am moving particularly slowly.

image.jpg

However, I still hope to accomplish a few things. I'd like to make the duck stock, get the lamb shoulder into the sous vide and make chicken dopiaza from the thighs we bought a couple of days ago. If I managed to accomplish at least that I shall be well satisfied.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1693.jpg

Made the Pear and Almond cake discussed previously before I left for work this am.  There will be some for Anna and I for dinner and the rest will head off to work this afternoon.  Probably won't bother with the powdered sugar.

• Like 7

Oh but she must give that cake away. AFTER we each have a generous slice perhaps with some ice cream? Neither one of us can afford the calories of keeping it around after that! I am not usually tempted by baked goods but this looks scrumptious.

Accomplished all I set out to do. Lamb is in the sous vide, duck stock is cooling as is the chicken dish and now to tackle the cleanup!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh but she must give that cake away. AFTER we each have a generous slice perhaps with some ice cream? Neither one of us can afford the calories of keeping it around after that! I am not usually tempted by baked goods but this looks scrumptious.

This is our modus operandi also.  Thanksgiving pie was a Mexican Coffee Ice Cream Pie with a chocolate ganache under the topping of whipped cream.  We all ate a piece for the big meal...and then our guests were gifted with the rest of the pie to take home.  Always works.  :wink:

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So .. did you love that pear and almond cake? It looks absolutely delicious - and I'm with Shelby, I would have snatched the piece that didn't quite make it to the plate.

The grass still looks summery green but that sky has a hint of late fall, bordering on winter, in it. Quite a contrast. I know the seasons of the year not so much by the temperature but by the way light differs. Nice picture.

Yes I did!  It was wonderful.  The remainder that I took to work the last time they called me in - was more than half gone by the time I left - and there were only two nurses in the room!

The light up here is very different than in southern Ontario.  You see these amazing sunrises and sunsets and the range of colours is phenomenal.  

• Like 6

Occasionally I have to do something just because I can.  I have no need of little tea sandwiches - however at the grocery store the other day we noticed again this pullman loaf cut lengthwise that President's Choice produces.  Of course that dragged my memory back to all the little tea sandwiches that my mother and I used to put together for various church and social functions when I was a kid.  

There happened to be roasted garlic whipped cream cheese on for half price in the dairy case and they had this jar of mammoth olives (the remainder of which will not go to waste - instead to waist).  

So this morning I was making olive cream cheese rolled sandwiches.  It's not the same without wax paper to roll them in.  So that's another thing you need wax paper for - tea sandwiches.   

DSCN3566.jpg

DSCN3564.jpg

DSCN3565.jpg

I'll get a picture of them cut later - as I recall they need to mellow a bit first.  Don't know if they will mellow properly without the wax paper.  I would wrap in wax paper, twist the ends, then wrap that in damp paper towel.  

• Like 9

Well apparently I didn't get the memo or more likely didn't read it. But once Kerry is finished at the hospital this morning we are heading off to Burt's farm. We will also stop in at the supermarket and the hardware store in Mindemoya. It's about 64 km/40 miles to Gore Bay where Max Burt has his farm and butcher shop. Check out their website (www.burtfarmmeats.com). We will try to take some pictures for you as we make our way there and back.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Very cool website.  The pictures of what they do and the farm animals are wonderful.  And, it is nice to see they have a solar energy tracker.  Those are amazingly efficient because they rotate and tilt to follow the sun.

Every place in town we considered going to get a bit of take out before heading out was closed for the season!  So very, very sad poutine from the family restaurant.  I think however the potatoes were thoroughly retrograded.  

DSCN3567.jpg

DSCN3568.jpg

• Like 3

A few stops on the way home - first the store in Kagawong that takes back liquor bottles - in hopes of finding a few more lids for Absolut bottles - one was found - a bunch of other lids that will fit but aren't as attractive were also obtained.  

DSCN3577.jpg

DSCN3578.jpg

A stop in Mindamoya to visit the hardware store, the grocery store and the thrift store.  And to take pictures of a couple of colourful houses.  

DSCN3579.jpg

DSCN3580.jpg

• Like 6