• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

Quite wonderful having the Death & Company book here - but lacking most of the ingredients.  We decided tonight to make one of the Multiple Choice cocktails - A Little Kingdom.  We of course still had to vary from the plan - using genever as the main and not having brandied cherries.

DSCN3593.jpg

• Like 1

Trader Joe's crystallized ginger.

DSCN3596.jpg

Freeze dried pear slices.

DSCN3597.jpg

Bark with freeze dried peach puree and freeze dried Liberte greek yogurt with honey.  

DSCN3598.jpg

• Like 6

On call again today - decided to make whoopie pies rather later last night.  Needed to run to grocery store to get marshmallow fluff this AM as I was not prepared to make it from scratch.

DSCN3599.jpg

• Like 6

The name 'whoopie pie' always makes me smile, and I think I'd smile eating one of those.

Is the difference between a macaron and a whoopie pie more significant than the name? It makes me think of city vs. country cousins. ;-)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup undrained kimchi whirled together in a food processor (I used the Thermomix because I could!) 10 times better than the sum of its parts.

Edited to say not mine but adapted from the book Vedge which calls for vegan mayo and vegan kimchi.

Anna N, I made kimchi sauce for my non adventurous eaters dinner guests and served it with roasted chicken (figured at least they will eat chicken).  There was not one person at the table who did not like eat.  Everyone wanted to know how I made it.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Seeing your photos reminds me of how much I miss preparing the big batches of candied ginger I made in the past. 

It was always a chore but I enjoyed it so much. I still have a couple of pounds from the last batch I made a year ago - probably a bit dry but I can always steam it to give it a refresh, followed by a new coating of granulated sugar.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anna N, I made kimchi sauce for my non adventurous eaters dinner guests and served it with roasted chicken (figured at least they will eat chicken).  There was not one person at the table who did not like eat.  Everyone wanted to know how I made it.  Thank you.

Love to take credit but of course it isn't mine. Comes from the book Vedge and the restaurant of the same name. Still I always figure if even one person finds something that we make up here to their liking it's a win-win situation. Thank you for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So here is what I have been up to this morning. Breakfast was not worthy of a photograph. It was garlic cream cheese on toast with lots and lots of black pepper.

Kerry is at the hospital dealing with patients and a medical student. I am always a little wary when she has a medical student as she often asks to bring them home for lunch! So on the off chance that might happen I have a tray of cauliflower ready to go into the oven to make roasted Parmesan cauliflower, a Massaman curry sauce into which I will put leftover lamb as I cannot stand cold lamb, and rice which is cooking in the Cuisinart steam oven. There are leftover chicken thighs which can be reheated in their Indian spiced sauce and served with the rice. On the off chance that Kerry likes cold lamb I will not add any lamb to the sauce until she arrives. Very little of what I have been doing is worthy of a photograph.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Don't know how the medical clinic vets the med students but they are always so delightful. Today's specimen was no different.

After Kerry and the student returned to the hospital my mind returned to the duck legs needed to be dealt with. With apologies to rotuts I am sticking with my tried-and-true recipe.

image.jpg

The legs rather nicely browned.

image.jpg

After deglazing with red wine, adding the fruit and garlic and the stock. I used duck stock because I had it. This is an open braise to keep the skin crispy so it will go into the oven as it is for about two hours. The braising liquid will then be strained, defatted and reduced. Fresh dried fruit will be added back in and it will go back into the oven just to warm the fruit through.

Perhaps next year I will attempt duck legs in the Cuisinart steam oven just for rotuts.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I still use your technique and make monster batched a few times a year. Every time I do I think of you!

Seeing your photos reminds me of how much I miss preparing the big batches of candied ginger I made in the past. 

It was always a chore but I enjoyed it so much. I still have a couple of pounds from the last batch I made a year ago - probably a bit dry but I can always steam it to give it a refresh, followed by a new coating of granulated sugar.

• Like 2

The name 'whoopie pie' always makes me smile, and I think I'd smile eating one of those.

Is the difference between a macaron and a whoopie pie more significant than the name? It makes me think of city vs. country cousins. ;-)

It is kinda city vs country I'd say.  I think of them as an east coast thing here in Canada - though I did notice a big resurgence a couple of years ago on all the food blogs.  

• Like 1

Can you have tea sandwiches with cocktail?  What is the protocol?  Do they go well with Long Island Ice Tea?

Also, I want want want those duck legs.  

Sadly I can't drink tonight being on call!  But I'm sure the olive with roasted garlic cream cheese would be perfect with a dry martini.  

• Like 3

I was the fortunate recipient of a batch of Andie's ginger in the past!  Wonderful stuff.  

Hoping to hear that you get your valve job done and get back to your usual routine.  Must be just about killing you to sit!

• Like 3