• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

"""    Is it large enough for a family of 4?  """

How hungry is everybody ?

:huh:

it does 6 chicken thighs 'expertly' at most.

you will have to draw straws for the extra two.

but seriously, you would also be using what ever method of cooking you use now.

it wont mash potatoes  etc.

but its a joy to use for certain things

as noted on the thread.   the meatloaf might feed 4 easy peasey  

• Like 1

I've been following this thread for quite awhile and am trying to justify purchasing one! Is it large enough for a family of 4?

As rotuts says, it will hold a pretty decent amount of chicken pieces. I have done enough chicken wings for 4 people, though it was a bit crowded and we weren't having a wings-only meal. I've cooked 6 drumsticks at once. I often steam-roast whole chickens, up to a max of about 2 kg or 4.5 lbs.

We've had several guests over the last couple of months and i have used the Cuisi for some of our meals, enough for 4 people. I cooked a whole chicken a couple of times. Once cooked, I would cover the chicken with foil and put it on top of the Steam oven to stay warm while I did nugget potatoes or veggies.

As rotuts also mentions, you can do a meatloaf that would serve 4. I've also done lasagne for 4 or other baked pasta dishes - you just need to find the right sized casserole dish. Look at the interior size measurements of the oven and find a casserole dish that would fit so you can visualize better, perhaps? And compare the size of the baking tray that comes with the oven with food that you might want to cook. (I can't remember the size and don't have a ruler handy but I know the measurements are in this thread. If I have a few minutes later, I will try to update some of this, though.)

I've done braised beef short ribs and beef rouladen as well - not specifically for 4 people, but there were leftovers or i could have fit a bit more in. 

Sometimes I do wish that I had a larger oven. It's nice when you can cook meat and veggies at the same time, but there isn't enough room to do that for 4 people. I can do that at times for the two of us though even then it can be a bit crowded, depending on what you are cooking.  

But there is room for a decent-sized pot roast or a couple of thick steaks, 4 small/med pork chops or a pork tenderloin. I think I could fit 4 small hamburger patties on the tray, but not huge ones.

I have done a dry-cooked beef roast in the regular oven and then cooked mixed veggies in the Cuisi. 

It won't always do all your food at the same time but I would say you can definitely use it for cooking for 4 for some meals or parts of meals. And as rotuts also points out, it depends on how large your appetites are!  

Edited by FauxPas (log)

that meatloaf  for 4 was a 20 oz standard package of ground turkey.

you could easily add 50 % or a bit more from a second package and make that loaf taller.

you would have a generous meal for 4 w your Mash/peas/gravy coming from  a ' traditional ' source

AND have enough ML left over for some nice sandwiches the next day.

a couple of teenagers near by ?  they would have those sandwiches for dessert ;.

BTW the extra thick meatloaf baked on steam-bake would not dry out.

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

AnneN -- I would say absolutely -- I believe that it toasts as well, if not better than my original British Dualit -- which was supposed to be the tops.  I think you could justify the steamboy as a replacement for both the toaster over, toaster and microwave (gasp!) -- it reheats so much better than a microwave...it is shocking.  As far as cooking for 4...totally doable.  It is a magical little machine...

• Like 1

Sliced onions cooked on Bake Steam initially at 350 degrees but they started to darken too fast.  Decreased temp to 300 degrees, much better but some damage was already done.  Onions in the middle were perfectly sweet and soft after about 60 minutes.  Probably need to cook larger quantity for better results.  I added minimal amount of olive oil prior to baking.  Interestingly, finished onions tasted as if there was a cup of oil.

Toasted few slices of bread in pork fat for a perfect snack.  Will make more onions later for french onion soup.

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my CSB has been a bit bereft lately,  It might have heard that a distant cousin has been abandoned in a closet or some such

North of the Border to freeze almost to death for the winter, for no good reason.

as Waxy potatoes, in this case Red are fantastic this way I thought Id do a small study:

NP 1.jpg

various sizes cut to be about the same size. a little EVOO and some Pensey's  Sandwich Sprinkle   ( excellent

for home made croutons )

Steam-Baked, 425 or so for 30 min or so:

NP 2.jpg

Sut la Plate :

NP 3.jpg

one of many outstanding features  ( if you have a CSB 'near-by' ) is you can add time and temp

have no worries potatoes will dry out.

thats home-made gravy, canned peas, and a 'ground-turkey-loaf' saute'd  on the plate  the turk had some

penzy's Chicago Steak Seasoning on it. the loaf is cut from the 'slab' of ground turkey in the standard package and

not handled

much more other than to press the CSS onto each surface.

delicious.  so delicious I forgot the chopped green onions and didn't clean up either the plate nor the stove top

Yum Yum

my CSB feels much better now as do I.  its going to get quite the work out this winter here.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

BTW  Im a very big Mashed Potato Fan : russets, skin on, hot milk, plenty of butter, a whiff of freshly grated nutmeg ...

hand mash  ( w one of those squiggly old fashioned hand mashers , or electric mixer )

my mother was not a fantastic cook.  she liked to 'food garden' but she made a home made meal every night ...

her Mash was fantastic.

CSB waxy steam bake  rival Home Made Mash for a place at the top of the Potato Pyramid.  

• Like 2

New here. I picked up a display model CSO-300 discounted at Sur la Table in Salt Lake City, UT for $135 before tax back in September. It was marked down to $150 but thought what the heck and I asked if they would discount it more and they did! Never hurts to ask. My wife gets annoyed I buy myself all the things I want and that she doesn't get a chance to get me anything I want for birthdays/Christmas so I've promised I won't use it until after Christmas. It's a struggle.

I wonder if people had been seeing mark-downs on price because Cuisinart is going to introduce the 300N model. It's a little old but I didn't see it listed in this thread:

The only new features are a steam clean button and I think a drain for the water (that one is harder to hear). But this is the only place I've seen mention of it. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

"""  I've promised I won't use it until after Christmas """

Big Mistake.

Just saying.

I wonder where the water 'drains' to ?

the 'water pan' under the CSB is a bit small, but Ive had no over flow problems.

however do not use the CSB over some sort of Precious HardWood Heirloom.

Nothing revolutionary today, just an idea that worked well for me :

As Serious Students of the CSB know, its a bit small.  They also know that it does a number of baking tasks 

far better than a 'dry' oven.  They know its also very forgiving on StreamBake as the items being baked rarely dry out ...

the CSB easily commands its place on the counter of most of us.  I understand there are problems North of the Border ...

Mine rests comfortably in the 'bull pen' and gets called up when ever there is a need ..

Ive compared my MultiAwardWining  TurkeyMeatLoaf w Bacon in the past on this tread made with the CSB and the BV-XL

I though Id try that again, but use the CSB for both the TLM and the SteamRoasted NewPotatoes at one 'sitting' :

TML ready to go first in the CSB :

TML.jpg

this is my standard TML.  30 min or so 400 SteamBake or so.  done when the bacon is crisp and a bit

brown.

the idea I had was to 'rest' the TML on top of the CSB while the NewPots steam roasted

about 425 or so  30 - 40 min or so.

the 'Or So' is one of the great strengths  of the CSB  you can add time an temp as you go and the

food does not dry out on SteamBake, with in reason.

here they are both finished :

TML Pots.jpg

the TML rested on top of the CSB.  its hot up there so after a while I put the CSB rack on top

w the TML on top of that.  might not have mattered.  You can see the Made-at-Home turkey

gravy to the L.  the fat and drippings from the TML go in there.  Of Note:  I did not 'pinch' a slice of

Bacon of the top of the TLM.  I learned it shrinks a bit,  ( Edwards, from the Slab 'Hand Cut' )

so I can add an extra slice the next time.   this TML was one package, 20 + oz.  I usually use two packs

for TML.  I used one this time because two tops give room for more bacon ( total ) and I wanted to

see if the thinner TML would dry out.  Plus its cold here, and my kitchen is cold as I have a woodstove around the open door'd

kitchen, and well, besides doubling the amount of (future) bacon, it really adds a nice aroma to

the area.   they invented 'central' heating for a reason.

the thinner TML was done when the bacon 'browned' and the internal temp Thermapen'd

was 198 F.  Dry you say ? over cooked you say ? ( the turkey claims to be 97 % fat free )

this was the moistest TML Ive made.  More Awards are coming Im sure. the CSB could easily hold the double

Rx.

finished Plate :

TML Pots GrOnions.jpg

this hit all the spots it was supposed to, and hit them On the Mark.

BTW  scallions are a veg., and green, correct ?

I would have loved to try this dish w Brussel Sprouts a la Franci

but didnt have any and was starving.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

Ive never pulled mine out of the BullPen for toast.

in my case its not really counter space, its Amps and Watts.

I do have an 'Antique' little table crying in the basement

( ie not quite Junk , but distressed ) and Im thinking of dusting it off and letting the CSB live there.

it would be around the corner from the Kitchen, and use a different circuit  ...

BTW  the BV-XL does only 'fair' toast.

the CSB does a larger and larger number of things much much better with no fiddle nor Faddle for me.

i do not thing this will happen in our life time

there are those right now :

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rational+steam+ovesn&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#q=Rational+steam+ovens&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=shop

not for us.

there is the Foot Print

( not available with  our friends North of the Border )

so they work w that

Id get Two of the Soon to Be Older model

at 150 or so if you can

Just saying

Monkfish liver torchon cooked at 160 degrees steam function for 20 minutes.  It was about 1/4 pound total piece.  After steaming texture was super delicate, very similar to foie gras.  Served with parsley salad and grilled persimmon.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 3

Im very late to this game :  using the CSB as a toaster.  Ive read all the rave reviews, but my SB is on 'Near-By Reserve'

easy enough to get to when called up.  Not 24 hours away by car  ( aller-retour ).

I have a BV-XL and it does OK toast.  not great, OK.  I use that as my 'large' oven and it works very well for that as my gas

oven is Roto, and has been for quite some time.  Another story ...

I used my Home Made ( Machine ) bread, baked fresh yest. PM  1/3 white whole wheat, 2/3 white flour  ( TJ's )  no milk, no fats, no sugar.

it makes decent toast and sandwich bread.

the SB toasted very evenly, much more so than the BV-XL.  but the real surprise was the wonderful Aroma on opening the oven :

Fresh Baked Bread !  this might be because the SB is a 'tighter' over for the steam Fx.  cant say.

so Ill clear out a space on my ample counters for the CSB to be ready at all times.  I have a very loose filing system for at least

1/2 of my counter space.  Its a bit like Archeology :  no on knows whats on the various lower strata

so you see a CSB about to be D/C'd for 150 or so, snap it up.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I think you might have nailed why the CSO makes better toast than the Breville. Kerry Beal and I were discussing it the other day. The fantastic seal on the door we think helps to keep the steam from the heated bread in the oven. Toast stays soft on the inside as a result. The Breville on the other hand dries out the bread before toasting it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It doesn't keep the steam from the toast - it keeps the steam from the toast in the oven.

It's just a really tight seal; sounds like it creates a bit of a vacuum when the oven is on and one closes the door.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It doesn't keep the steam from the toast - it keeps the steam from the toast in the oven.

It's just a really tight seal; sounds like it creates a bit of a vacuum when the oven is on and one closes the door.

Yep that's what I was trying to say. When the bread is heated it steams but because of the tight seal on the oven door that steam is kept in the oven where it helps to keep the bread soft at the same time that it is being toasted.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

""  Toast stays soft on the inside as a result.  ""

yep.  crunchy top/bottom  soft and fragrant inners

"  sounds like it creates a bit of a vacuum when the oven is on and one closes the door. "

yep deux.  you also notice this when you open the door

Damn that Atmospheric Pressure can be from time to time a little pest !

""  The Breville on the other hand dries out the bread before toasting it. ""

yep trois

unless you have thick hand cut fresh bread, the BV-XL 'good' rating for toasting is a gift.  it gives you dry toast.

I have found a temporary post for the CBS on a counter, and after Excavations it will have a permanent spot.

if you find this for $ 150, or so pre-new model, its well worth it for toast alone.

at 150 the Sirens will be singing to me for a CSB deux   a twin.

after all Ive resisted that 200 + Japanese fantastic knife   (  thank you Pay-Pal !)   :huh:

of course I have not tried the CSB w crappy store brand bread.

might turn Wonder Bread into a thin slice of Heaven   :laugh:

sometimes its worth paying very close and careful attention to what some have already mentioned

and I just let it pass by.   

I can only imagine what the CSB would to to home made english muffins

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1