• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heating with Microwave vs Stovetop

Shel_B

Not to speak for Jaymes - but I think I get what she is saying - they were heavy "glass", a known item, known performance. I love the product and so do collectors as they can be pricey.

And, not to speak for Shel-B, but I think he didn't get the "quote" feature to work exactly right, as it was gdenby that mentioned a fondness for Corningware, not I.

Actually, I make my omlettes in my regular ol' everyday Blue Danube soup bowl, covered with either a film of Saran Wrap, pierced, or an inverted Blue Danube saucer.

Although, like many ladies of a certain age, I do have quite a bit of Corningware, use it, and especially love it in the microwave.

RE: Corningware ... I've a few pieces purchased at garage sales. Love the items I have. Love the price I paid - averaged out to $3.00 a piece, with covers! No bowls though.

Having long been a collector of "vintage" kitchen stuff - and having purchased a lot of Corningware back when it was "new" - I have a lot that I use regularly.

I have the large square "grill" pan with ridges on the bottom that is handy for microwave defrosting of slabs of meat. If you come across one at a yard sale or thrift store, buy it. I have a couple of extra "latch-on" handles, for use on a stove top so if you do find one, PM me and I will send you one. People often lost the detachable handles, or if they inherited the piece had no idea the handle belonged with the pan.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can totally understand that you feel I am making this up.

Tad's Steak, ( Not Ted's Steak) a NYC chain steak house, once came up with this insane idea when microwave ovens were first becoming popular.

They opened a restaurant where patrons were give a menu. After selections were made, the meals were served to the patrons totally frozen. That's right, I said totally frozen.

At each table there was a microwave oven for every two customers. The eaters would use the microwave to heat up their frozen meals.

No. The restaurant was not in business very long.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

has one micro'ed squash?

Do it frequently, to different degrees of doneness. Example: Kabocha and Acorn have hard shells, so some 'waving will soften things a bit, and make for easier cutting before roasting. Sometimes I'll 'wave the squash to fully cooked, cut, scoop out the flesh and then mash and season. Works just fine.

PS: Did you get the oven baked rice recipe I sent you?

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I can totally understand that you feel I am making this up.

Tad's Steak, ( Not Ted's Steak) a NYC chain steak house, once came up with this insane idea when microwave ovens were first becoming popular.

They opened a restaurant where patrons were give a menu. After selections were made, the meals were served to the patrons totally frozen. That's right, I said totally frozen.

At each table there was a microwave oven for every two customers. The eaters would use the microwave to heat up their frozen meals.

No. The restaurant was not in business very long.

dcarch

Tad's Steaks lives in SF and NYC. I used to walk past one every day, never went in. It looked like a dump. Reviews are terrible.

has one micro'ed squash?

Do it frequently, to different degrees of doneness. Example: Kabocha and Acorn have hard shells, so some 'waving will soften things a bit, and make for easier cutting before roasting. Sometimes I'll 'wave the squash to fully cooked, cut, scoop out the flesh and then mash and season. Works just fine.

PS: Did you get the oven baked rice recipe I sent you?

Spaghetti squash turns out beautifully in the MW.

I stab them deeply a few places on each side with an ice pick (carefully) so the steam can escape. (also, cut the stem off if it is still intact)

Put the whole squash on a microwave safe plate - I use a Pyrex pie "pan" and for a medium sized squash - 7-8" long and 4-5" diameter,

cook it on high for 10 minutes.

Let it rest for 3-5 minutes and cook it on power level 6 for 10-15 minutes.

After 10 minutes, stab it with your trusty ice pick and if it penetrates easily, it is done.

Sometimes if they have been stored for awhile, they take more time.

Larger DIAMETER squash take more time. Add three minutes onto the HIGH cooking time for each additional inch in diameter.

The TEXTURE of the squash cooked this way is, in my opinion, better than any other method of cooking.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had planned on cutting in 1/2 both acorn and butternut ( length-wise )

finish in the Breville for some color.

I wonder if there's a way to get some color and roasted-like flavor with the microwave. Maybe by zapping the squash after giving it a light coat of oil as was mentioned upthread with garlic and onions.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I had planned on cutting in 1/2 both acorn and butternut ( length-wise )

finish in the Breville for some color.

I wonder if there's a way to get some color and roasted-like flavor with the microwave. Maybe by zapping the squash after giving it a light coat of oil as was mentioned upthread with garlic and onions.

They do make containers which will allow you to brown in a microwave.

dcarch

When making bread, I use the microwave to kick start the boule after kneading and shaping. All it takes is 1 to 2 minutes on the lowest power level. This distributes the warmth needed by the yeast quickly, without getting too hot.

When I worked in a place with microwaves in the lunch room rather than a range, I found I could zap one or two jumbo shrimp in a minute. Or, I could reheat sous vide lunches in their ziploc freezer bags.

Microwaves were great in the lunchroom, as long as I could avoid those pathetic frozen trays that most people bring.

They do have things you can buy to brown at least a bit in the microwave. My grandkids heat Hot Pockets in theirs. The instructions say to insert the Hot Pocket into the "browning sleeve" before placing into microwave. It's made of heavy paper, with some sort of metallic lining.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Actually I have found that you can brown garlic and onions very quickly and effectively in the microwave. If you chop them up and cover them in oil microwaving will fry them, but faster.

Another thing to try. Thanks!

I did that this afternoon for the first time. It's a great technique. I had a small timing issue, however. The garlic in oil came out perfectly colored for my intended need, but I let the garlic sit in the oil a few minutes before removing it, and it got a bit too cooked and crispy. Won't make that mistake again. In any case, great tip!

... Shel

They do have things you can buy to brown at least a bit in the microwave. My grandkids heat Hot Pockets in theirs. The instructions say to insert the Hot Pocket into the "browning sleeve" before placing into microwave. It's made of heavy paper, with some sort of metallic lining.

Yesterday I discovered browning trays. There are some for sale on Amazon and also on eBay.

... Shel

Here's something else I use the microwave for:

Say I'm making soup. Intended to add two chopped green peppers and two chopped onions. Got busy. All of a sudden realized that the soup had gone on without me. The meat was now tender, but I had forgotten the veggies. I'll chop the veggies, put them into a microwave dish (actually, I use a big Pyrex measuring cup), add a little of my soup broth, and then nuke until the veggies are cooked to the same degree as the meat.

The microwave is a really great "catch-up" tool.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Excellent idea - the pyrex not the peas!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog