• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brisket - marinade - sous vide questions

Bojana

studies need to be done.

Its in the bag wrapped in 3 layers of paper towels. It took 3 layers till it sealed with the last layer being compleyely dry. The second layer was slightly wet. The very first layer absorbed pretty much all the juices that came out while vacuuming out the air. We will see how much, if any juices are in the bag in 24 hours.

Im thinking the paper towels might not have been needed to preserve the bark/crust. The trick i believe is getting the meat to the final target temp first that you plan to "hold" it at in the SV.

I smoked some beef back ribs to 155F the day earlier and put them in the SV @ 155F for 24-30 hours. I even brushed a tiny bit of bbq sauce on them before bagging.

The sauce was pretty thick and when i pulled the ribs out there was just a tiny bit of slightly thinner bbq sauce in the bag. So there was a bit of juice loss but the bbq sauce thickened the juice up. This may be a good way to prevent meats from swimming and losing their bark/crust.

If bbq sauce isnt something you like on bbq, im sure other thickeners could be used. Although similar, I thought of even tomato paste, that double concentrated stuff in the tubes would work nicely. Anyway pics of the beef back ribs.

100_5816.jpg

100_5821.jpg

100_5825.jpg

• Like 3

your' Bad, really really Bad

if you are not careful, your eG hall of fame position might get 'misplaced'

however, the fine print on that membership certificate currently reads:

" Junior Membership "

seriously.

however, good for you, good for SV

Well somebody has to test these things. Dont get me wrong, I could do bbq traditionally in the smoker, but why worry about watching it all day/night and bringing it to "pull" temps of 190-205F when you can #1 only watch it for a few hours in the smoker. #2 get that same "pull" texture at 155F. And #3 end up with a much more moist inside.

For the past few years my only issue with SV i had was losing some of that bark/crust im use having with traditional bbq.

You could really tweak this and have every bite being a moist juicy "burnt end"

would you recap the total procedure ?  Id like to steal  borrow and save these ideas.

your goal was an internal temp of 155 in the smoker.  step one.

what temp was the smoker set at, if you know.   how long to get to internals of 155 ?

how long in the SV at 155 did you chose ?

many thanks.

great ideas here.

would you recap the total procedure ?  Id like to steal  borrow and save these ideas.

your goal was an internal temp of 155 in the smoker.  step one.

what temp was the smoker set at, if you know.   how long to get to internals of 155 ?

how long in the SV at 155 did you chose ?

many thanks.

great ideas here.

The beef back ribs i posted were done as followed:

Smoker set to 275F (preheat) Lowered to 200F

ribs were sprinkled with coarse kosher salt, coarse black pepper, and turbinado sugar.

smoked with alder about 2 hours of subtle blue smoke.

pulled out when probed between 150-155F

hit it with a quick torch just for good measure (probably wasnt needed but didnt hurt)

lightly brushed with thick bbq sauce and bagged and SV 155F for 30ish hours.

removed from bag with another quick surface torch and set on cooling rack, foil overtop in oven to keep warm (150F) till served (about 30 min)

Some important info:

I use an electric smoker with a smoke generator attachment. I use hardwood lump charcoal to smoulder the Alder wood chips. I dont use a water pan, or mist/mop any liquids. You want the surface to dry out as much as possible. This is what gives you Da Bark.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1

FC:  Id also like to hear a bit on your dry aging of the 'Butts"

I age all my beef for up to a week in the frig pre-SV

not pork nor Ck and Turks.

thanks

You really shouldnt go more then 4 days using the paper towel method. Ive done 3 weeks for beef using drybagsteak though. The paper towel method is really just a quick way to pull some moisture out of the surface so the dry heat in the smoker can form a nice crust in a short amout of time without drying out the inside of the meat.

I never tried to dry age pork for any other reason or more then a day or two. Again, this isnt for flavor, just a way to dry out the surface.

Another trick i use for butts, brisket, and chucks is paper towel dry ageing for a day or so to form a rind (pellicle) this will also speed up and improve the bark/crust formation in the smoker.

Doesn't this retard smoke absorption?

Doesn't this retard smoke absorption?

Pellicle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
37px-Wiktionary-logo-en.svg.png Look up pellicle in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Pellicle may refer to:

• Pellicle (biology), a thin layer supporting the cell membrane in various protozoa
  • Pellicle mirror, a thin plastic membrane which may be used as a beam splitter or protective cover in optical systems
  • Pellicle (dental), the thin layer of salivary glycoproteins deposited on the teeth of many species through normal biologic processes
  • Pellicle, the protective cover which can be applied to a photomask used in semiconductor device fabrication. The pellicle protects the photomask from damage and dirt
  • Pellicle (cooking), a skin or coating of proteins on the surface of meat, fish or poultry, which allow smoke to better adhere the surface of the meat during the smoking process.
  • Pellicle (material), a brand name for a very resistant synthetic material used for covering different surfaces, such as that of the Aeron chair
  • Like 1

The paper towels did the job. The brisket wasnt swimming in a pool of liquids.The rub stayed on the brisket. But the bark/crust still lost some of its crunchy texture. I think longer dry ageing and a harder pellicle will be needed next time. The brisket did turn out fantastic though. I decided to chill overnight and slice it thin, instead of chopping it like you would burnt ends. It was borderline slice/pull whicj is the texture i like. Next time im going to dry age a chuck roast and form a thick bark then SV and chop/pull it for burnt ends.

100_5830.jpg

100_5840.jpg

100_5855.jpg

100_5867.jpg

• Like 1