• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2013–2015

ChrisTaylor

I'm guessing this notice may be the result of the recent tragedy in California.  Since there may have been more than one recent tragedy in California, I am speaking of the Irish students.  Not that their plight had to do with gardening.  Though it may well have had to do with food and drink.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Wow. Just wow, Shelby. I adore pics of your farm garden. it's so lovely and expansive and varied. I do love the Okra flower! Maybe the cantaloupe will come back, I hope so! 

Do the kitties just want to sniff the produce or do they actually like to eat any of it? I used to have a cat that was absolutely MAD for cantaloupe. 

Aw thanks :)  It's hard work, but good work....not like WORK work.  I hope the cantaloupes come back too.  I'm just sick that I killed them.  I've used that stuff before but maybe it was when the plants were more established.

Newman (the cat in the pic) eats the greens from onions and he loves dill and lettuce.  He's funny :)

Shelby, is that horse corn in the field or can you eat it too?

We eat the field corn sometimes---it's ok if you hit it just right.  It's not as sweet but really it's good.

Our field corn is used for horse feed, cow feed and even cornmeal and syrup.

My three Rutgers tomato plants are groaning (that may be part of the problem) with ripening fruit.  Two days ago I received notice from the rental agent for my landlords that I must remove the planters from my balcony immediately.  To do this I would have to hire a contractor.  Which I can't afford at the moment.  I have been feeling quite ill over this.

For the first summer I can remember all the vegetables (and fruits and flowers) are doing beautifully.  Even my dead grape vine (planted by birds some years ago) just put out a few green leaves.

I joked with a friend that I don't know whether to hire a contractor, lawyer, or psychiatrist.

Wouldn't it just figure that you have a banner year when something like this happens?  Ugh.  I feel bad for you.  

• Like 2

Shelby, is the mulch to keep the plants moist during the hot weather?

Do you ever use black poly as a ground cover? We use it for our corn and the difference in growth between no poly and poly is amazing.

• Like 1

Shelby, is the mulch to keep the plants moist during the hot weather?

Do you ever use black poly as a ground cover? We use it for our corn and the difference in growth between no poly and poly is amazing.

Yes and also to keep weeds from growing.  We get a few bales but mostly I used hay from our wheat harvest.  I gathered like 5 or so trailer loads from the fields and brought it back.  

This is my first year growing sweet corn.  What does the poly do for the corn?  Soil warmth?

edited because bail is not the same as bale.  none of my hay is in prison.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

The poly keeps the soil hot is the main thing. It is a lot harder to water because you have to aim the hose jet at the base where the opening is. I will take some pics tomorrow for illustration. My corn is about 3.5 feet high and was planted from greenhouse seedling at the end of May. Corn like warm soil, water and loads of fertilizer. Do you fertilize your garden at all?

The poly keeps the soil hot is the main thing. It is a lot harder to water because you have to aim the hose jet at the base where the opening is. I will take some pics tomorrow for illustration. My corn is about 3.5 feet high and was planted from greenhouse seedling at the end of May. Corn like warm soil, water and loads of fertilizer. Do you fertilize your garden at all?

Yes, we fertilize a ton.  My sweet corn is about 4' tall right now but it already has tassels.  My field corn is always way taller when that happens.  Is mine stunted or is that normal?  I planted the seeds when the soil was 70 degrees F.  Lol I used my thermapen to test the soil.  Oh and we've had plenty of rain so moisture isn't an issue.

• Like 1

I don't know what is normal for your area, sorry. We have tassels now too and that is after about five weeks in the ground from three inches tall at planting.

Well, that sounds about right then if I do the math.  Maybe I will have some good sweet corn after all :)

Shelby,

My husband brought home one cucumber similarly misshapen at the blossom end like your zuke. He also brought a giant zucchini (maybe 2-1/2 pounds), that was way overgrown, but perfectly shaped. The thing was eleven inches long and working hard on four inches width at the fat end. These were from our next door neighbor. I thought the zuke would be woody and seedy and just a lost cause, but I was making lasagna, so I sliced it in ribbons lengthwise anyway.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, after tasting some raw. I used it in the lasagna, and it turned out really good. I sent some to the neighbor who grew it and his landlord, who has also done us favors.

Maybe your "hider" is salvageable? Those rascals do tend to hide under the lush leaves.  :smile:

P.S.:

Newman is a weird cat! I have one too. One of his nicknames is Weirdcat!, Fuzz Bucket, Small Guy ... it goes on. Adorable, though, as is mine.  :laugh:

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I don't know what is normal for your area, sorry. We have tassels now too and that is after about five weeks in the ground from three inches tall at planting.

I just measured and it is 5 3/4 feet tall.  Here is a picture of it.  The ones on the grass side get more heat so I think that's why they are taller than the others.DSC00929.JPG

• Like 4

Here are some pics of the New Zealand spinach we were talking about over in another thread.  The small tops of the plant can be snipped off and eaten whole but if the stems are longer then you have to pluck of the leaves and discard the woodie stem.  I have already cut mine back twice.  You can hopefully see on the last picture how thick the leaves are.  Please excuse my dirt filled thumb nail on the last shot.  From yesterday's garlic harvest.  Off to scrub it now. :rolleyes:

DSC00930.JPG

DSC00931.JPG

DSC00932.JPG

• Like 3

Your shorter corn looks like mine.  I feel better :)

I'm going to order the New Zealand  for fall.  In fact, while I'm in cooling off from hoeing, I'm going to order now.

Thank you for the pictures and including the measuring tape.  

P.S.  My nails look just like yours :)

• Like 2

Soaking overnight before sowing helps.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

No, not all seeds but New Zealand spinach is definitely one that seems to benefit from it.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

A bit ago I peeked outside to check on my baby cucumberlings.  One hiding behind a leaf was seven and a half inches.  With a touch of mayonnaise it made a lovely late light lunch.

Now while it's still light I'm off to bake my bread for dinner.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just picked one week's growth on the New Zealand spinach.  In photo two you can see the stalk that the leaves grow on and when you cut the stalk it sprouts new ones like the one on the lower right.

DSC00934.JPGDSC00935.JPGDSC00936.JPG

• Like 6

Oh that spinach is so pretty!  Thank you for the pictures.

I had to pick all of my onions yesterday.  I pulled one the day before and noticed it was starting to get spongy.  When it gets hot here the onions have to come inside.

No laughing...I know they are small :blush: , but they are good  :biggrin:

photo 4.JPG

• Like 5

I am not laughing because they look like my onionsl.  If I leave them too long the stem flops over and the bulb get brown and then the bugs come and start nibbling!  I like your red ones.  Are they the Italian torpedo onions?

• Like 2

I am not laughing because they look like my onionsl.  If I leave them too long the stem flops over and the bulb get brown and then the bugs come and start nibbling!  I like your red ones.  Are they the Italian torpedo onions?

Nah, just plain 'ole red onion sets.  Nothing fancy.