• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TdeV

Corned Beef, Sous Vide

Sorry if this issue has been posted before—in spite of help, I don't manage searching past posts well.

I have a shrink-wrapped package of corned beef which came with spices included by the manufacturer.

Would you remove this plastic and replace with new vacuum-sealed plastic (without spices) to sous vide the corned beef?

Thanks in advance.

I tried sous vide corned beef once, and we weren't entirely happy with it. This is a bit mixing up centuries as technique goes, and might have worked out better conventionally. I was making New England Boiled Dinner, and conventional technique on the Irish side of my family was to bring to a slow simmer when the letter arrived announcing our visit.

It was good, just not amazing, and conventional methods would have left more room for feedback. To be fair about this would require multiple trials and a control; my source was Cafe Rouge in Berkeley, CA, which as a rule sells phenomenal products. This however may have been brined a bit tight.

One might repackage to

* first reduce the salt by soaking, if one fears the brine was too salty

* remove the herbs, if one believes as often claimed that herbs are more intense sous vide

* change to a heat-tolerant bag, if the original bag has unknown heat properties

So this question is somewhat religious/political. Anyone new to sous vide should make certain to purchase bags rated for sous vide. I've noticed that the most vocal opponents to this idea generally have a stash of 1000 bags they bought before thinking about heat safety.

Of the three reasons, I worry most about the third. Our understanding of health risks is a moving target; I have cookbooks that call for the use of asbestos pads.

• Like 1

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

OK, I get the heat-tolerant issue. Will replace the bag. Thanks for response.

I cooked a prepackaged corned beef sous vide several months ago the results were very good. I took the brisket out of the original packaging rinsed it well and sealed it in a vacuum bag then cooked it at 135F (57C) for 60 hours and cooled it. I then froze it for about 3 months (to be honest I had forgotten about it). When I was ready to serve (well, remembered it was in the freezer) I thawed it and put it in water bath for an hour to heat it up.

I don't think the 3 month freeze was integral to the results but I do think that taking it out of the corning goo that is in the package is.

I tend to corn my own. Its very easy and you can adjust flavor to your taste. Just dry rub with appropriate spices/pink salt/salt...let sit in fridge for a few days...then soak and rinse to desalt a bit and then SV with more spice rubbed on.

Its that time of year in the USofA. corned beef is on sale and Id like to try ( again ) for some SV corned beef.

this was one of the first things i SV'd in the past, but would like to return to it after having read many notes here on individuals technique's

I of course can't find my notes so thought in honor of the sales and St.Pats those enthusiasts of this cut might chime in here.

1 ) soaking in cold water to remove some amount of salt.

didnt do this in my initial attempts and it was way to salty for me. How long do you leave the meat in cold water? change the water do you?

2) Cut. Im planning on trying the point cut, removing all the extra fat between the two muscles and then the cold soak. Id like to try this cut as it might have more intramuscular fat and flavor. it also im told had more intramuscular connective tissue but Im hoping that SV with take care of that.

3) time and temp for the meat. Im looking for tender hot meat for a traditional meal ( I'll reheat for this after the ususal chill etc ) and also room temp meat for sandwiches. tender yet firm enough to hold together for thin slicing.

Looking at Baldwin: brisket: Well, slow is 160 x 1 - 2 days.

Id like a temp that is just below the expected muscle contractions so would < 150 be ideal?

many thanks for your ideas.

:biggrin:

When I did a pre-corned beef I used 135 degrees and went 60 hours. It was very good. Tender and still very juicy but not falling apart.

This year I decided to corn a uncut short rib portion of 4 ribs. I am using Ruhlman's brine from Charcuterie. The first attempt at this was amazing but my wife complained that I had invited guests and we had to share. So this time I am using the same ingredients but leaving out the guests! :)

Edited by Charcuterer (log)

I like 140 for two days. I'll use brisket if I plan to serve it as dinner and the less fatty round if I'm making lunch meat. I corn my own using a mix of spices that I find tasty.

My first stab at SV corned beef was WAY better than I'd ever managed with traditional methods.

I did the equilibrium brining method from modernist cuisine, 7 days in brine with no possibility of over salting. Followed by 15 hours at 79.5C. It was perfect, really moist and tender but sliceable. Very happy with it.

I cooked some corned beef today -- my first attempt in a pressure cooker. I added 500ml water, onion, peppercorns, cloves, mace, bouquet garni and I forget what else. I added the trivet and put the c.beef on to the internal dish sitting on the trivet so that the beef would steam. Cooked for 1 hr at full pressure and left it to naturally release for an hour. Came out well but I think a bit overcooked. I will try 50 mins next time.

This year, I tried something similar to &roid. Only, instead of a brine, I did an equilibrium rub. Winged it, really, based on prior experiments with other meats (this is one of my continuing projects at the moment).

Here, I figured 1-1/2 tsp salt per pound would be about right. So, for a 3 lb brisket (flat), I used 4 tsp table salt (27 g) and 1/2 tsp curing salts (6.25% sodium nitrite). Tossed together, sprinkled half on each side, set up in a ziploc bag and chilled for four days, flipping every 12 hours. (Not sure the flips are necessary, but figure they prevent juices from pooling against one side only.) Wasn't sure that was enough time but didn't feel comfortable leaving any longer without a vacuum (for which I lack the equipment).

Cooked 36 hours at 150ºF, which is my usual preference for brisket. Very happy. Fully tender without falling apart. (The falling apart thing is my least favorite aspect of the traditional dish.) And, perhaps more to the point, it turns out four days was indeed enough, as the color and flavor were uniform throughout. (Sorry, no pictures; don't have a decent camera either.) Oh, and saltier than a normal brisket, but nowhere near as salty as a normal corned brisket. IOW, pretty much exactly the target I was aiming for.

Sooooooooooo no ideas on the de-salting of commertial CB? I figure very cold water, in the frig, 24 hrs, with 2 - 3 water changes. Cut the CB in 1/2 to the bag size first.

thoughts?

Personally I prefer 145F for 24 hours for point cut and flat cut i will cook at 145F but leave in anywhere between 24-30 hours. Anything over that and the texture starts to get too mushy for my taste. If you slice it thin, it damn near melts in your mouth anyway.

you talked me into it: after a de-salting soak, Ill do 24 x 145. Ive experienced mushy and Im not after that!

many thanks!

you talked me into it: after a de-salting soak, Ill do 24 x 145. Ive experienced mushy and Im not after that!

many thanks!

I usually just rinse off or soak for 5 minutes. I just sous vide a few briskets yesterday and chilled them and sliced them today. Heres is some pictures. Dont mind the date on the pics, I never set the date on the camera i used.

102_5270.jpg

102_5271.jpg

102_5275.jpg

102_5277.jpg

looks just right to me. Ill soak overnight. I really use very little NaCL these days and have found most commercial preps way too salty for me.

but your stuff looks delicious!

Soaks take away some of the spice. I tend to re-apply a bit of the spices for the SV cooking.

what spice did you add? Ive thought of that: I have mustard seeds I thought Id add ...

When i buy CB it comes with a spice packet that i add to the SV bag after rinsing or soaking. Never seen store bought that had the spices already in the liquid.

rotuts, when i make my own CB brisket or CB tongue i use pickling spice. You can buy it in bulk cheap at restaurant supply stores.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Sooooooooooo no ideas on the de-salting of commertial CB? I figure very cold water, in the frig, 24 hrs, with 2 - 3 water changes. Cut the CB in 1/2 to the bag size first.

thoughts?[/quote

Good question

Edited by Bjs229 (log)

• Similar Content

• By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.

• By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By haresfur
      I got to thinking after the disgusting job of separating globs of fat from sous vide short ribs and debating never doing them that way again. If the fat renders out in a braise, but not in the sous vide, what temperature would you need to turn the fat liquid to get rid of it? Is it below well-done or do you really have to cook the shit out of it? Is it just temperature or a time&temperature thing?

Along those lines, what happens with marbled, tender cuts? where is the sweet spot between solid fat and something more palatable?
    • By Daily Gullet Staff
      By John Sconzo

The Daily Gullet is proud to present this, the first in a multi-part, front-row report on the recent "Spain and the World Table" conference. Watch for subsequent installments in this topic.

In his introduction of Ferran Adria, Thomas Keller -- perhaps the most celebrated American chef ever -- described four elements that go into making a great chef. The chef must be aware. Once aware of one’s culinary and other surroundings that chef can then be inspired, which leads to the ability to interpret those surroundings. But a great chef does not stop there. Instead, the great chef continues to evolve. Ferran Adria, perhaps more than any other chef who has ever lived, is the embodiment of those four elements.

The moment that Ferran Adria strode towards Thomas Keller on the stage at the CIA/Greystone’s World of Flavors’ “Spain and the World Table” Conference was electric -- as if a giant Van de Graf generator had been turned on. The feeling didn’t subside when Adria took the stage from Keller; it only became more pronounced as the packed crowd rose to its feet, raining applause, admiration and love on the Spanish master. Adria accepted the response with aplomb, and gave it right back to the audience -- and to his fellow Spanish cocineros, who were standing off to the side. He brought each one up to join him on the stage for a rousing thank-you to the conference organizers, sponsors and participants. Once this emotional release subsided, Adria got down to what everyone had been waiting for -- his discussion and demonstration.

Ferran Adria, with eyes sparkling like the finest cava, began speaking Spanish in a voice as gravelly as the beaches of the Costa Brava, while Conference Chairman Jose Andres translated. The crowd, hushed and straining for every word, moved forward in their seats as Adria explained El Bulli and himself, with a lesson in recent culinary history thrown in. Ferran explained that El Bulli is not a business. While offshoots of El Bulli are operated on a for-profit basis, the restaurant runs without profit as a primary motivation. For example, he said, the greatest difficulty they have is distributing reservations. Given the extraordinary demand and the severely limited supply, he explained that they could simply raise the price of a meal to the point where the supply and demand met. Indeed, the price of a meal at El Bulli is in itself quite reasonable given the stature of the restaurant and well within means of most motivated diners should they be able to get there, and this is how Adria prefers it. He stated that he was not interested in cooking solely for those with the most money. He prefers to work for people with a true interest in exploring the limits of cooking with him. To this end he showed a short film depicting “A Day in the Life . . .” of El Bulli set to the Beatles’ song of the same name. The film showed a couple’s response to the experience.

Ferran’s voyage into creativity began with a visit to Jacques Maxima at Le Chanticleer Restaurant in Nice, France. He learned from Maxima that to be creative is not to copy. This idea changed his entire approach to cooking -- from making classic cuisine to making his own. Aware of elaborate books of French cuisine, Adria resolved to catalogue his work, the results of which are the richly detailed El Bulli books, published by period. These books, as wonderful as they are, are huge and extremely expensive. During his presentation, Adria announced -- and demonstrated -- that the individual dishes photographed and described in a chronology within each book are all now available online at elbulli.com.

He finished the philosophical discussion by talking about the general style of haute cuisine that he and others are engaged in. While others have coined the term “molecular gastronomy” to highlight the scientific component of the creativity involved, Adria rejected it, saying that all cooking is molecular: most of his techniques are in fact rather simple and don’t employ radical new technology. Most of the technology that they do use has been around for some time; they have simply adapted it to their own purposes. Nevertheless, he applauds contributions to gastronomy from Harold McGee and other food scientists, and welcomes their collaboration in the kitchen. He has yet to find a term that describes the movement: as of now, he feels that there really is no good name for this style of cooking.

More than any other single thing, Ferran Adria is known for the use of “foams” in cooking. While he is proud of his achievements with foams, he stressed that while appropriate in some circumstances, the real utility of foams is limited. He bemoans their ubiquity -- and wishes to not be blamed for others’ poor deployment of the concept. In the course of describing this and other techniques, Adria made a point of stating that using them should not be inferred as copying. Techniques and concepts are to be used and shared. He invited everyone to learn and harness whatever they found interesting, and to employ it in to their own pursuits.

Another set of techniques discussed and demonstrated by the master and his assistant, Rafa Morales from Hacienda Benazuza, included three types of spherification. These included the use of calcium chloride (CaCl) and sodium alginate as well as the converse, and exploration of a new agent, gluconodeltalactone. The original combinations of alginate into CaCl for “caviar” production, and CaCl into alginate for larger “spheres” have chemistry-related limits as to what can be sphericized. In private correspondence, Harold McGee explained to me that Adria described encapsulating a mussel in its own juice. While this would make the dish technically an aspic, unlike conventional aspics it remains a liquid. Adria said that though gluconodeltalactone is very new, and they are just beginning to get a handle on it, he is very excited by it. He also demonstrated a machine for spherification on a larger scale than they had originally been able to do, as well as liquid nitrogen and freeze-drying (lyophilization) techniques. At the conclusion of his demonstration -- and thus the Conference -- the audience once again awarded him a standing ovation.

While Adria’s appearance was the culmination of the conference, the energy it produced was not just because of his stature in the world of gastronomy -- it was also due to the excitement generated by the conference that preceded it. If there had previously been any doubt, Thomas Keller’s welcome of Adria was a clarion: Spanish cuisine has landed on North American shores and is finding a niche in the North American psyche. Spanish cuisine -- in its multifaceted, delicious entirety -- lives here, too.

+ + + + +

John M. Sconzo, M.D., aka docsconz, is an anesthesiologist practicing in upstate New York. He grew up in Brooklyn in an Italian-American home, in which food was an important component of family life. It still is. His passions include good food, wine and travel. John's gastronomic interests in upstate northeastern New York involve finding top-notch local producers of ingredients and those who use them well. A dedicated amateur, John has no plans to ditch his current career for one in the food industry. Host, New York.