• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Air Fryers

Keith_W

My birthday is Friday and I think I want to get an air fryer.  I would love to make fries/potatoes, chicken wings, chicken cutlets and/or parts, and be adventurous as  I get more familiar with this.  Which one would you recommend - the Phillips XXL or the Breville?  I am an experienced cook if that matters and I have a young adult at home who can snarf down several pounds of chicken if we leave it unattended ;)  LOL (in real life I am a pastry chef but that has no bearing on the fact that I can't make a decent pot roast unless it's in the Instant Pot and I am hopeless at pork chops).

What say  you all?

• Like 1

Breville Air is bigger and has a dehydrator , warmer, oven, and a zillion features. We use it daily. It isn't cheap, but we use the heck out of it. Well worth the extra $, i think 

• Like 1

@gfweb, what's the clean up like when using the air fryer mode? 

I looked (online) at this last night and really like it; I wouldn't have given it a look without your suggestion so thank you.  I know that if stuff splatters all over the inside, it will get less and less use because the clean up outweighs the cooking effort ;)  I will especially appreciate this at the holidays when I'm trying to get so many side dishes done and on the table.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

@gfweb, what's the clean up like when using the air fryer mode? 

I looked (online) at this last night and really like it; I wouldn't have given it a look without your suggestion so thank you.  I know that if stuff splatters all over the inside, it will get less and less use because the clean up outweighs the cooking effort ;)  I will especially appreciate this at the holidays when I'm trying to get so many side dishes done and on the table.......

I haven't found it to be much to clean up.  The rack for air frying can get food or juice stuck to it but a wire brush gets it off.

For chicken I don't use t he rack...too much fat. I use a sheet pan with a rack placed in it and keep the fat contained.

Its great as a 1st or second oven. Holds a full 1/4 sheet pan.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

I have the Breville Air as well and love it.  I used the air dryer function last night for (frozen) sweet potato fries and they came out nice and crispy.  Because of it's size, I rarely use my full size oven.  I have also used it as a dehydrator and it works well for that also.  It is a great piece of equipment and if it ever quits on me, I'd replaced it with another.  I use it at least once a day.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Question for those that have the Breville or Cuisinart Air Fryers.  How are you cleaning the air fryer coils???   I have two air fryers and maybe once a month or more frequently if I make something greasy, I have to turn it upside down and clean the inside top and coils with a damp cloth and brush.  These things really get a grease build up that gets burnt on. I have one basket type and the slats have gotten such a baked on build up that I no longer use it.   I have my doubts whether mine are going to last just based on the heavy usage. 

Reason I'm asking ...my Breville toaster oven is on its way out and it certainly would be nice to have a toaster oven and air fryer all in one.    

I haven't had to clean the heating elements on the BSOA yet, but I always use a sheet pan below the air rack to catch the drips, or one of these if I am frying a smaller batch: Gotham Steel Nonstick Copper Crisper Tray

But wow, Amazon is selling the large one for $8.85 or the smaller one that I have for $5.02.  These are great deals, but they are add-on items, meaning they only ship with a $25 order.  I ordered a large one.  I really like mine.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

on Amazon.ca (rip off) they are, sitting down?, $35.00 .  Oh, but that's Canadian so, $24.50 US.  Still.  I'll use a cookie rack perched on corks on a sheet pan.  Good use for all the spent corks around here :-))

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

on Amazon.ca (rip off) they are, sitting down?, $35.00 .  Oh, but that's Canadian so, $24.50 US.  Still.  I'll use a cookie rack perched on corks on a sheet pan.  Good use for all the spent corks around here :-))

I saw that at Home Sense yesterday.  I didn't look at it very closely but I did note that it was cheap, nowhere near $35.00.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I saw that at Home Sense yesterday.  I didn't look at it very closely but I did note that it was cheap, nowhere near $35.00.

Worth checking Giant Tiger as well - they sell a lot of Gotham Steel products

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm getting a new type of combination air fryer, rotisserie, oven to test and review.  

I need suggestions of what to make to really put it through its paces.  What are things that are tricky to get right.

I had one of the early air fryers when they first came out, was not impressed, gave it away and I can't even recall what I cooked in it.

This is quite different and considerably larger.

I would really appreciate suggestions and advice from those who have been using air fryers for a while.

1914408706_ScreenShot2019-07-19at2_16_22AM.thumb.png.c6f4455b2f25e53bb1c1a266864e7a5a.png

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

The big thing about frying is the conduction of high heat by the oil. 

Air fryers try to duplicate this by super convention fans but really don't come close.

Maybe a Air fryer with steam would do a better job at conduction?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kerala said:

How are they able to do what they promise ie air frying on their adverts?

They can promise anything in vague terms. No consequences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1