• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

lame username

What's the term for this texture, surface effect...?

16 posts in this topic

What is the term for this texture? My mind wants to say "fractured", but that doesn't quite seem right.cheesecake-c.jpgice cream.jpgIMG_0552 (1280x960).jpg

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

Ok, 'Delamination'

Failure, fracture.

The bottom shot says 'brush me !'

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

The bottom shot says 'brush me !'

His (Ragdoll - growing out from a shave) fur always looks like that, even when brushed. :blink:

I like "delamination", thanks!

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

Efflorescent? Efflorescence (which means "to flower out" in French)

dcarch

Ripples? No, Riffles . That's what I meant ! Like a ruffle, only smaller!

ETA riffles.

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm gonna throw out 'feathered'...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Many thanks for the responses.

Inventing the Universe

I've heard it referred to as a "random scaling effect" that is, forming scales, thick and thin, on the outer surface as the material is manipulated.

"Ragged" is the term used in pastries.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

None of these seem quite right. There are no layers in ice cream to delaminate, so that can't be it.

An efflorescence is an out-blooming, like a tuft of mold on a cheese, which isn't quite right.

The fractures or whatever they are called come from the serving spoon/knife being cold enough to partialy adhere to the cold ice cream and tear it as it moves through. A hot spoon wouldn't do this, nor would warmish ice cream.

I suggest that we name it after you...its the Lame Username Effect.

None of these seem quite right. There are no layers in ice cream to delaminate, so that can't be it.

An efflorescence is an out-blooming, like a tuft of mold on a cheese, which isn't quite right.

The fractures or whatever they are called come from the serving spoon/knife being cold enough to partialy adhere to the cold ice cream and tear it as it moves through. A hot spoon wouldn't do this, nor would warmish ice cream.

I suggest that we name it after you...its the Lame Username Effect.

I can't say no. I've always been fascinated with eponymous terms. Bovie, Alyce clamp, Dyson sphere... How fun to have my own that applies to ice cream and cheesecake.

Inventing the Universe

I've heard it referred to as a "random scaling effect" that is, forming scales, thick and thin, on the outer surface as the material is manipulated.

"Ragged" is the term used in pastries.

It occurred to me that I should move this to a pastry thread. If pastry chefs call it "ragged", I am content.

Inventing the Universe

How about "fissured"?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

Oooo, fissured; I like that one too.

Inventing the Universe

Quilted

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Similar Content

• By chromedome
      I'm posting it here on the grounds that national Food Guides are, by their nature, intended to be used as references. 

Many of you will have read today's news stories about the proposed changes to Canada's food guidelines. All of the stories I read mentioned that Health Canada was soliciting input from the general public, as well as health/food industry professionals. None of them, alas, actually gave a link to the "consultation" page at Health Canada's website. For those who wish to weigh in, here it is:

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/health-system-systeme-sante/consultations/foodguide-guidealimentaire/index-eng.php
    • By Mike.jj
      Hello Egullet family.. its good to be back on here, been away for a while, i hope to find some new trending recipes .. and be ready to get some African dish recipes for those who love African Dishes, You can Read and  Download  Mp3 Audios here of some Nigerian dishes, and there are more coming in which i would be placing on here.. Thanks
    • By FrogPrincesse
      I've been eying this book since I heard about its upcoming release. For me, a cocktail book with a French slant is a hugely appealling. I flipped through it at my local bookstore and was compelled to buy it when I saw a recipe calling for Byrrh, along with a few re-interpreted classics. The recipes are not overly complex and generally don't call for esoteric ingredients. If you have Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app, it's in the same vein but with a definite French (and international) touch, with recipes calling for things like Suze, Armagnac or Japanese whisky.

Measurements are given in milliliters and ounces, and were probably conceived in metric so they can be a bit unusual sometimes, but this is not a big deal at all. Each recipe is provided with a little background about its creation or general concept, which I always find the most interesting part of these types of books.

The first thing I mixed was the Byrrh cocktail of course. It had quite a few other ingredients, but luckily I had everything already on hand.

Handsome Jack (Chris Tanner) with Rittenhouse straight rye, Pierre Ferrand 1840, Aperol, Byrrh, green Chartreuse, maple syrup, Angostura and Peychaud's bitters.

As indicated in the notes, it is slightly on the sweet side but it has a slight bitterness that compensates for that (from the Byrrh and Aperol). The flavor is deep and complex. There is almost like a chestnut note with the maple syrup and cognac, and a nice kick from the rye. A very good fall/winter drink.

Review of the book on Eater.

• By Lisa Shock
      The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.
    • By liuzhou
      Another great article from the great Harold McGee. "The Science of Herbs and Spices" on Lucky Peach.

Fascinating as ever.

Now I just need to find the Chinese for "chitosan".