• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Emily, I almost made green rice so we were definitely on the same wavelength. Apparently, some folks prefer carnitas in big chunks and some prefer shredded carnitas – more crispy surface area in the latter.

Doddie, I was reading the carnitas thread and saw the lovely batch that you made.

Ted - lovely tilapia - will you make that for me sometime?

Chris - the next time that your wife leaves town, can I come eat at your house?

Shelby - beautiful venison pie!

Bruce - that hot chocolate. I think I maybe fainted a little when I saw that :wub: !

Dinner last night was a lettuce, apple and toasted walnut salad with a fresh cranberry vinaigrette - really good:

gallery_34972_3580_183047.jpg

And a goat cheese and fig stuffed chicken breast with a marsala sauce. Someone here posted a link to the recipe awhile ago and I'm thinking that it was Anna_N - I have had it in my 'to try' file for ages and just did it - it tasted great and was much easier that I thought it would be! Anyway - if it was you, Anna or whoever - a belated thanks for posting! Served with eG roasted cauliflower :wink: and roasted garlic bread (it was orange cauliflower, btw):

gallery_34972_3580_109698.jpg

a not terribly good picture of a cross section of the chicken:

gallery_34972_3580_217053.jpg

Next time I will be bolder making the pocket and make it bigger!

So many beautiful dinners, so little time !!

I *have* been cooking, just making very prosaic, and not very photogenic efforts.

However, last Friday I had a special dinner for a couple of friends, and not only were the results darned tasty, but they photographed well also (well, within my limited photography skills that is.........)

I offer you:

Pork tenderloin medallions, seared and quick-braised in Italian red wine, served over apple slices that were oven-roasted with garlic, parsley, red pepper flakes and Muscadet wine, also some cauliflower lurking under the meat:

gallery_52142_5656_1153803.jpg

Side was risotto with herbs, Parmesan and truffles (YUM) (this was my centerpiece, and of course, the picture is out of focus, errrrrrr :angry:)

gallery_52142_5656_530890.jpg

And dessert was a clemantine clafoutis:

In the pan:

gallery_52142_5656_364769.jpg

And plated:

gallery_52142_5656_1646190.jpg

A good (and filling time....) was had by all

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

And for some of the more pedestrian offerings of late:

Slow roasted brisket with pan juices, potatoes rossele and creamed spinach:

gallery_52142_5656_843067.jpg

Served with my pride and joy:

gallery_52142_5656_920877.jpg

gallery_52142_5656_176692.jpg

I MADE BREAD !!!!!!!!!!!! And it didn't suck !!

Leftover brisket made a very good hash:

gallery_52142_5656_1220813.jpg

with roasted asparagus and these beauties......

gallery_52142_5656_888482.jpg

I MADE BISCUITS !!!!!!!!!! And they didn't suck !!

Ummm, sorry. I've never been much of a baker and when my baked goods actually turn out, I get pretty excited. Not only did that bread and the biscuits not suck they were very tasty. The bread made a fine brisket sandwich for lunch during the week, and made its last apperance as a decent bruschetta, rubbed with garlic and halved tomatoes. The cheese biscuits just got hoovered right on up. I'm right proud of myself, I am. Maybe I actually *can* bake as well as cook.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Ended up at Whole Foods the other day (Whole Paycheck?) and they had grass-fed beef. It was cheap so I got one of their flank steaks, marinated it in a soy sauce and ginger mixture and then tried the low-temp-oven-then-sear method (recently featured in Cook's Illustrated). I think I'll be using this method frequently.

Soy-Ginger Marinated Flank Steak, Spring Mix, Jasmine Rice

gallery_57773_5502_190540.jpg

There was a vinaigrette involved too but fortunately I didn't use much of it, it wasn't that great.

Pierogi everything looks so good. I'm glad your bread didn't suck :laugh:

I, too, made creamed spinach the other night. I thought it was SO good. I used a recipe from RecipeGullet. I was so proud---and then my husband informed me that he doesn't like frozen spinach :hmmm: We've been together 14-15 years and I NEVER knew that. I've even frozen ours out of the garden and he's never said a word.

So, I have a whole tub of leftover creamed spinach :rolleyes:

Pierogi  everything looks so good.  I'm glad your bread didn't suck  :laugh: 

I, too, made creamed spinach the other night.  I thought it was SO good.  I used a recipe from RecipeGullet.  I was so proud---and then my husband informed me that he doesn't like frozen spinach  :hmmm:  We've been together 14-15 years and I NEVER knew that.  I've even frozen ours out of the garden and he's never said a word.

So, I have a whole tub of leftover creamed spinach  :rolleyes:

Shelby - maybe try cutting up some roasted frozen artichoke hearts and adding some parmesan cheese, smear it on some baked/roasted chicken and bake for a few minutes. I have known this cheesy, gloopy mess to reform serious cooked spinach haters.

I, too, made creamed spinach the other night.  I thought it was SO good.  I used a recipe from RecipeGullet.  I was so proud---and then my husband informed me that he doesn't like frozen spinach  :hmmm:  We've been together 14-15 years and I NEVER knew that.  I've even frozen ours out of the garden and he's never said a word.

Shelby - maybe try cutting up some roasted frozen artichoke hearts and adding some parmesan cheese, smear it on some baked/roasted chicken and bake for a few minutes. I have known this cheesy, gloopy mess to reform serious cooked spinach haters.

That's a good idea! Oddly, he loves fresh spinach and CANNED spinach! Isn't that weird??

I, too, made creamed spinach the other night.  I thought it was SO good.  I used a recipe from RecipeGullet.  I was so proud---and then my husband informed me that he doesn't like frozen spinach  :hmmm:   We've been together 14-15 years and I NEVER knew that.  I've even frozen ours out of the garden and he's never said a word.

That's a good idea! Oddly, he loves fresh spinach and CANNED spinach! Isn't that weird??

I have a brother in law like that. Honestly do not get the canned love! Makes me heave to think of that stuff :laugh: !

Pu pu starter: Speck, Pork Pate, Salumi homemade sourdough

gallery_39170_2381_106849.jpg

Grass Fed Flat Iron, Blue Cheese/Tarragon Butter, Sunchoke Puree, Green Beans

gallery_39170_2381_119101.jpg

Riopelle and bleu Benedictine from Quebec (snuck past Customs), Red Hawk

gallery_39170_2381_82345.jpg

Peppercorn Cognac Sauted Chicken

gallery_39170_2381_145650.jpg

Veal Flank Steak w/Caper & Cornicion Sauce, Russian Banana Fingerlings sauted w/duck fat

gallery_39170_2381_148444.jpg

I have a brother in law like that. Honestly do not get the canned love! Makes me heave to think of that stuff :laugh: !

Exactly.

Too bad everyone isn't normal like us :laugh:

............ he loves fresh spinach and CANNED spinach! Isn't that weird??

Just out of curiosity how can he possibly tell the difference if it's been cooked and creamed...What I mean is, how would it differ from canned spinach or even fresh cooked creamed spinach?? :biggrin:

............ he loves fresh spinach and CANNED spinach! Isn't that weird??

Just out of curiosity how can he possibly tell the difference if it's been cooked and creamed...What I mean is, how would it differ from canned spinach or even fresh cooked creamed spinach?? :biggrin:

My point exactly! He swears up and down that frozen spinach--even drenched in cheese etc.--tastes bad and canned or fresh spinach that has been cooked, tastes good. :rolleyes:

day off so some time to shop and cook. when john got home we had fluke in a white wine sauce with mushrooms, olive rice and sauteed bok choy with shallot.

gallery_403_5734_707788.jpg

he loved it - i thought it was ok. course i prefer vension or bison anyday...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

gallery_52700_5735_345555.jpg

I got home late and wanted to do something a little fancier than just plain sausages. I happened to have, in addition to the delicious chicken and apricot sausages, a little horseradish cheddar and porcini mustard in the fridge. Mmm.

ETA: Somebody? How do I rotate the pictures?

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

Braised boneless leg of lamb over egg noodles. The braise included a mirepoix, tomato paste, red wine (Malbec), beef broth, bay leaf, oregano, rosemary and ligonberry jam. Served with lemon zest.

gallery_24065_1826_62899.jpg

Edited by monavano (log)

After a brief break from the "stuff my wife won't eat" theme, since she was actually home last night and we went out, I return with leftovers: chicken chili from this month's Fine Cooking magazine. This used up the leftover chicken from the mesquite-smoked chicken the other night: the meat went into the chili, and the carcass was the basis for the stock. I think this chili would be much improved by the addition of more chiles! Like maybe some fresh jalapeño added at the very end to give some crunch and heat. Has anyone else tried this recipe?

gallery_56799_5710_65242.jpg

This fell into the "questionable chicken dishes" category: the verdict is, my wife would like it, as long as I made it spicier.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I haven't tried that exact recipe, Chris, but I think you're right.  I always put a lot of peppers in  my white chili.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to call it "chili" the principal flavor had better be chile peppers! This recipe only called for one can of pickled jalapeños, for six servings. It tasted good, but I would call it "Southwest Chicken Soup" or something like that. And I would still add a few fresh peppers!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org