• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

OK, second post to Dinner, the one before probably shouldn't count as this one kind of blows it out of the water. This is the Cooks Illustrated butterflied roasted chicken, made with russets and sweet potatoes under the roasting rack. Served with Molly Stevens's braised green cabbage and a bottle of Two Brothers Prairie Path beer. I abandoned my fork about a minute into dinner and was just tearing at this with my hands. The skin was super crispy on top, I think that next time I'll flip the bird for part of the time to get the bottom as well. For anyone that hasn't tried this, the whole segment for the preparation is on youtube in three parts, just search high roast chicken.

gallery_40942_4421_11636.jpg

Thanks Klary

Your dinners are looking as delicious as usual.

Happylab OOOH your Stracatto looks wonderfully rich.

Dan The high heat method if my favourite way to roast chicken.

We had more Greek tonight. I made a pot of Greek Cabbage rolls, and a few meatballs with the extra filling and served them in an Avgolemono sauce. We had the leftover Potato, Green Bean and Zucchini stew as a side.

gallery_27944_2966_1187763.jpg

I roasted a chicken this weekend, Zuni style:

gallery_38820_3398_240750.jpg

gallery_38820_3398_27350.jpg

Poor thing's missing a drum cause I couldn't keep my hands off.

Moist & juicy with a great crispy skin. I love this method. Can't wait to dig into leftovers this week.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Thanks  Klary

Your dinners are looking as delicious as usual. 

Happylab  OOOH your Stracatto looks wonderfully rich. 

Dan The high heat method if my favourite way to roast chicken. 

We had more Greek tonight.  I made a pot of Greek Cabbage rolls, and a few meatballs with the extra filling and served them in an Avgolemono sauce.  We had the leftover Potato, Green Bean and Zucchini stew as a side.

gallery_27944_2966_1187763.jpg

I love stuffed cabbage and would like to try a different version and these look great. Can you share what you put in the stuffin, Ann_T?

Long ago Abra made this comment about starting a "Recipes from the Dinner Thread" thread but it doesn't seem to have happened. I'm making the Swordfish Impanata for dinner tonight with a recipe from Chufi (I think) by way of Pontormo, or maybe the Italian Food threads............

Any interest in a dinner recipe thread?

I thought that was what the RecipeGullet was for!

You are correct! That is what RecipeGullet is for. Everybody is encouraged to add their recipes to RecipeGullet, then post a link in this topic. It will work better than a recipe topic because it's searchable by recipe name, member name, course or key ingredients.

Ann_T, it's so good to see your posts and pics again-especially your breads!  I think of you everytime I make bagels following your recipe and tutorial. :smile:

gallery_27944_2966_880042.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_135105.jpg

Baguette split.

gallery_27944_2966_50567.jpg

Really pretty, I was certain this was Ann's posting.. Really pretty crumb on that bread.

Thanks Daniel.

I love stuffed cabbage and would like to try a different version and these look great. Can you share what you put in the stuffin, Ann_T?

Monavano I posted the recipe for Greek Cabbage Rolls on Recipe Gullet. I use pork, but you could use lamb or beef or even ground chicken or turkey if you wanted too.

I picked up a small piece of veal tenderloin from the local butcher and used it to make Veal piccata. The meat was very tender and still quite pink in the middle. I used green peppercorns instead of capers because I like them better. A little fettuccine Alfredo on the side.

gallery_27944_2966_38400.jpg

There have been some fantastic meals here in the last few days. Ann_T, yours especially have caught my eye.

I'm without a stovetop until next week (although then I'll finally have gas to replace the electric cooktop), so I made cheese pizza. Not that I need a reason to make pizza. (Pictured before I added some basil from the garden)

gallery_38684_2093_49706.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Oooh moving from electric to gas, what is the first thing you’re going to cook with it? That’s a thread starter if there ever is one. Me, I would get that carbon steel wok as hot as it would go!!!

dochl i cant take much credit for this recipe. The stuffed gnocci i purchased from this sicilian guy who handmakes it. He also hooked me up with his arrabiata sauce.

So basically I got some veal, seasoned it and got it going in the pan with some EVOO. I added onions, green peppers, ground pepper, tomato sauce, basil, oregano and a little bit of tomato paste.

I then added a mild italian sausage cut in pieces and let it cook for a bit.

After I felt everything was done, I added some arrabiata sauce and cooked everything together for another 15 minutes for the flavors to mix.

Sauce being done, I just boiled the gnocci and placed the sauce on top.

Came out very nice because of the delicacy of the gnocci and the spicy, flavor of the veal and sausage.

Hope that helps. If I skipped any steps or have any questions feel free to ask.

Dr. J

Oooh moving from electric to gas, what is the first thing you’re going to cook with it?  That’s a thread starter if there ever is one.  Me, I would get that carbon steel wok as hot as it would go!!!

Oh I'm all over that one Prawncrackers. The cooktop I bought was chosen because among other perks, its large burner left all but one of the competitors in the dust in terms of power. And last week I bought a beautiful, large, sturdy carbon steel wok from Chinatown (only $14!), which I've started to season in the oven. Needless to say, the first meal will be something asian. Probably noodles.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Here are some efforts from the last week. I apologize for any, uhhhhhhmmmm, "soft focus" issues, I'm still learnin' the camera !

From the slow-roasted chipotle pork leftovers, we had, shredded pork enchiladas topped with Mexican crema, with avocado and roasted broccolini:

gallery_52142_5656_961394.jpg

Then there was the chicken in cilantro-tomato sauce with rice and Eternal Cukes with tomatoes & onion, marinated in chili-mango vinegar:

gallery_52142_5656_1217017.jpg

Finally, tonight was the BEST fish tacos ever, with black beans.

Here's the makings:

gallery_52142_5656_259241.jpg

And here's the final effort, assembled on the plate, with the beans:

gallery_52142_5656_859424.jpg

Oh those fish tacos were good ! I guess I've been on a Latin kick this week, huh?

And props to everyone else's offerings from the past week. I would so very gratefully sit at any one of your tables.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Here was last nights dinner.

Steak with bernaise sause. Bread with a olive oil and olive tapenade.

The ball in the background is courtesy of my italian friend who made it which is a veal, mozzarela mix with rice. The ball is baked for 30 min and ready to go. Very nice, kind of like a italian version of Papa Rellena.

Not sure if this has happened to anybody before. When I made the bernaise sause it separated on me. I decided to try to bring it back and re-emulsify it and first used a little mustard. Helped a little but didn't do the job. Then I took out the immersion blender and added some glutamate and worked perfectly. Anybody have any other tips they are more than welcome.

Here is the recipe for the sauce: (sans experiments)

http://www.recipezaar.com/104597

gallery_56834_5307_480424.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_185679.jpg

I recently made Syrian meat pies or sefaas/lahme bi ajeen. I have to admit to pulling a Sandra Lee and using flour tortillas for the dough. I topped with ground chuck, onions, tomatoes, baharat spices, tamarind paste and lemon juice.

gallery_6878_3484_37384.jpg

I often add toasted pine nuts but didn't have any on hand.

I'm waiting for my wife to get home so I can get the car and go to a band practice from 5-7 while she goes to yoga from 6-7:30. So that I can have a quick meal on the table at half past 7, I've made pasta e fagioli with sausage. It's just simmering on the stove right now (3:30). I'll turn it off soon, let it sit on the stove (covered) while I'm at practice, then come home, stir in the sausage, and heat it up. Kids love it, I love it. Everyone's a winner.

Paul B

Made gnocchi with a quick ragu (should have simmered longer)...I usually use an egg as a binder but since we didn't have any I used the potato water. It came out nice and fluffy and was quite enjoyable.

gallery_30767_5564_81715.jpg

Can you tell that I like sauce? lol

a very hungry college kid

Pierogi those tacos look SO good.  I've never tried fish tacos--I know I'd like them, but my husband turns up his nose for some reason.  :rolleyes:

Thanks Shelby, these were the best I've ever made. A LOT of people have the same reaction as your hubby to the concept of fish tacos. Have to admit, I did too until I tried them. Now I think they're about the greatest contribution of SoCal/BajaCal to Mexican/American cuisine.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

last night i was off from work so i could cook! picture of dinner before saucing:

gallery_403_5658_678533.jpg

asparagus, wild mushroom pilaf and chicken breasts - cooked on the bone, though skinless- that were rubbed with garlic, drizzled with olive oil then sprinkled with a mix of lemon peel and white pepper. the sauce was chicken broth, white wine, lemon juice and capers thickened with wondra flour.

about 2 hours later johnnybird and i split a piece of english muffin bread i had baked that was covered with Tupelo honey.

gallery_403_5658_152874.jpg

didn't quite get the consistancy that my mom's used to but good none the less.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

doctortim - I love that pizza. That's what pizza should look like in my book!

Pierogi - now I want fish tacos for dinner!!

scubadoo97 - wierd how things happen. I had never heard of sefaas/lahme bi ajeen before and then you post them and my daughter's brings home leftover ones from a new restaurant visit the other night. They were really good and pungent!!!

suzilightning - that bread looks wonderful! I want some toast w/ my fish tacos, ok? :laugh:

Last night we had my MIL over for dinner - it was supposed to be someone else who bailed on us, and she came instead. She's a joy to cook for because she loves everything on the planet and I always do my exotic stuff for her, but the planned meal was for tamer palates. It was a good dinner, just not very exciting:

gallery_34972_3580_103096.jpg

Slow cooker pork roast with dried fruits. Those aren't carrot slices in the back, they are apricots. The dish was made with apricots, onions, prunes, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and Dr. Pepper. It was a....ah....um....er...Sandra Lee recipe :blush: . I know, I know, me too!! I watch her to laugh and she made this one day and it sounded good....and it was!! Anyway, I also served Tony B. gratin dauphinois (I love the evilness of sandy and tony on the same plate :laugh: ), our very favorite braised red cabbage and 'German style green beans' (an erzatz recipe given to me 25 years ago that we just love).

gallery_34972_3580_36638.jpg

I also served some lovely Billy Bread (recognized by everyone in the RichmondVA area):

gallery_34972_3580_159492.jpg

and gingerbread cake with lemon frosting:

gallery_34972_3570_186465.jpg

Leftovers tonight!

Kim

Dr. J Great looking dinner.

scubadoo97 Your Syrian meat pies look very good.

Kim Yum. I'd be happy with your dinner. I love roast pork and red cabbage is the perfect side.

Dinner last night was wings with homemade potato chips

gallery_27944_2966_718116.jpg

and tonight was a roast chicken dinner with traditional sides.

gallery_27944_2966_576481.jpg