• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Mmm, wings.

With leftover prik king curry paste from last weekend we stir-fried chicken thighs, blanched long beans, slivered ginger and chiles, pickled green peppercorns, fish sauce, palm sugar, basil, and cashews. Pickled bean sprout salad, green salad, and jasmine rice completed the meal.

Chicken prik king curry, pickled bean sprout salad, jasmine rice

gallery_42956_2536_38532.jpg

Bruce Your food is like a work of art. So much colour. I just know that the flavours are as vibrant as the colours.

Tex Mex here tonight. Put a pot of black beans on to simmer early today and got out the tortilla press and made corn tortillas to go with pork carnitas. Pretended it was summer and drank Sangria with it.

gallery_27944_2966_83517.jpg

Mmm, wings.

With leftover prik king curry paste from last weekend we stir-fried chicken thighs, blanched long beans, slivered ginger and chiles, pickled green peppercorns, fish sauce, palm sugar, basil, and cashews. Pickled bean sprout salad, green salad, and jasmine rice completed the meal.

You are really proficient at that those thai(?) dishes. They always look so awesome! Where do you get palm sugar?

Sorry, I can't always recognize whether something is thai, vietnamese, indian, etc. I know they have distinctive characteristics and ingredients, but I don't think I could tell the separate cuisines apart if my life depended on it.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Such wonderful looking dishes here. I have to avoid this thread during the day when my only solace foodwise is a morning-packed sandwich.

Anyway, here's my contribution from this evening: Gnocchi with a Carrot Cream Sauce, Black Trumpet Mushrooms and Pancetta

gallery_57773_5502_6829.jpg

Tried making a Xinjiang spin of meat skewers today (flavours used were nothing related to Xinjiang though hahaha).

Had it with bbq sauce (again, not Xinjiang related at all), toasted sweet sultana bread and salad with a dressing of palm vinegar, salt, sugar and water.

gallery_56306_5160_24165.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_61368.jpg

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Good looking food all around....

The cold weather lends itself to braising, so this time it was Braised Lamb Shank w/Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Don't worry, I did not eat the whole thing :raz:

gallery_21049_162_29792.jpg

Since I also happened to add some veal bones to the stock, it made for a good snack with some toast and fleur de sel :smile:

gallery_21049_162_4260.jpg

gallery_21049_162_11462.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

Tried making a Xinjiang spin of meat skewers today (flavours used were nothing related to Xinjiang though hahaha).

Had it with bbq sauce (again, not Xinjiang related at all), toasted sweet sultana bread and salad with a dressing of palm vinegar, salt, sugar and water.

gallery_56306_5160_24165.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_61368.jpg

Dayum! Carnivores delight! Percyn, your marrow is droolworthy! I want smellavision for my computer, please! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Tex Mex here tonight.  Put a pot of black beans on to simmer early today and got out the tortilla press and made corn tortillas to go with  pork carnitas.  Pretended it was summer and drank Sangria with it.

gallery_27944_2966_83517.jpg

Why thank you, Ann, you are very kind. I have a sudden craving for pork carnitas and Sangria, thanks to you.

Where do you get palm sugar?

Sorry, I can't always recognize whether something is thai, vietnamese, indian, etc. I know they have distinctive characteristics and ingredients, but I don't think I could tell the separate cuisines apart if my life depended on it.

ndy, thank you! Our local Asian market carries palm sugar, but you can also order palm sugar online (click). Your guess at origins was good – the salad was Vietnamese, and the curry was adapted from a Thai recipe.

Beautiful lamb, percyn.

Dinner last night was meat loaf, glazed carrots and parsnips and "hellzapoppin" rice casserole:

gallery_41580_4407_38142.jpg

Now what is really great is that I didn't realize the full history behind Hellzapoppin until yesterday. My Mother has made it for years and years based on what we thought was a recipe from a family friend. Well, I couldn't find the original hand-written recipe card, so I thought I might try finding a recipe on the web. It was there! And, being a native Oregonian I was quite pleased when I realized the recipe came from Peg Bracken and her "I hate to cook" cookbook which was published in 1960. Peg Bracken recently died at the age of 89 at her home in Portland, Oregon. Along with James Beard, she is one of Oregon's most beloved cooks and authors. And yes, the Hellzapoppin is still as delicious and appropriate today as it was in 1960.

gallery_21049_162_11462.jpg

oh man

Well said Tupac.

Grilled a small New York Strip roast for dinner.

gallery_27944_2966_99811.jpg

Sides were yellow cauliflower puree, parisienne potatoes and steamed green beans.

gallery_27944_2966_82601.jpg

Lovely meat. I also like the way you just slip something complex like Parisienne potatoes into a meat and vegetable plate. Honestly I have never had them, only read about them. Now you have me curious. As always- thank you.

All the talk and reference to the movie "Tampopo" got me so curious that I downloaded the movie a couple of days ago and watched it last night. Hot damn! What a movie. I love the scene where the master teaches a young man how to appreciate a good bowl of ramen.

That is why I made ramen broth today. I boiled pork bones, chicken pieces, whole carrot/onion/leeks in my huge pot for 3 hours. I got this magnificent, rich tasting broth. I've never made broth like this before. I didn't make my own noodles but believe me, even the store brought ones tasted heavenly in the broth. I just topped my broth with sliced pork, minced spring onions and a teaspoon of sesame oil. It was heaven.

No pictures. I didn't want to pause and let the moment pass away. But since I made a lot of broth. I promise to post pics of my next bowl tomorrow.

For dessert, I made bread pudding and Cinnamon Rolls that my son help me make.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

so about 9 pm last night johnnybird got a little peckish so this is what we made:

gallery_403_5666_217986.jpg

grated cheese, Yancy's Fancy X-sharp cheddar, with worcestshire sauce and (don't tell johnnybird) a splash of hot sauce

gallery_403_5666_686910.jpg

whipped egg whites incorporated into the cheese mix

gallery_403_5666_706498.jpg

20 minutes later i was able to snap this before johnnybird snarfed it up. not the prettiest picture but it tasted good

gallery_403_5666_729310.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Since I got my new gas cooktop installed, every meal I've cooked has been made in a scorching hot wok. The beef noodles from last night:

gallery_38684_2093_86230.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

first: shaved carrot ribbons with chopped peanuts, fresh mint, and a dressing made with thai chilies, garlic, scallions, lime juice, sherry vinegar, sesame oil, turbinado sugar and a reduced broth made from lemongrass, ginger, and galangal

later: soft-scrambled eggs. one of life's simple pleasures.

Very nice meals everybody.

Thanks for the compliment AnnT, I love those chicken wings and chips my meal of choice for superbowl sunday. Also love the color of that NY strip roast.

Very nice meal percyn, I made this meal with some beef bones and am now totally going to eat the marow with toast, great idea

Yesterday was my rice ball described in my last post along with Spanish style Chicken Stew made with beef bones and veal stock. Very hearty flavor to go with the smooth taste of the chicken. Not my best picture but it was very tasty.

gallery_56834_5307_169305.jpg

Awsome dinner Ann!

Last night's dinner.

Mixed green salad with House dressing from Le Bouchon + meyer lemon. Steak with [shitake and onion red wine reduction. (not pictured ran out of batteries)] and rice.

gallery_56834_5307_633522.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_597368.jpg