• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Mmm, Reuben. Russian dressing or Thousand Island? :raz:

lol, crappy bottled Thousand Island, I'm afraid. I was going to make homemade Russian, but I didn't know it had horseradish in it, and I don't generally have that on hand. Doh! I'll remedy that soon and have another go... :smile:

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Amrita - I, too, think that your quiches look lovely!

MiFi - your roast pork is so moist looking! I love roast pork!

percyn - bacon salt :wub::wub::wub: ! Where did you get that? I may be getting back to you on those gorgeous scallops. I have something coming up where I am making scallops for a crowd and want them to look like that!! I'm hoping that someone here will tell me that of course I can pre sear them and finish them in the oven last minute :laugh: !

Marcia - hope hubby feels better soon - the soup and grilled cheese are perfect and would have been very welcome here this week!

suzi - what a coincidence, our favorite pot roast is also called Italian Pot Roast! Not the same recipe - mine is a Ronald Johnson recipe. I always make a double recipe to have enough for soup, but never thought to do a shepherd's pie with it. (I know, all you English people - technically w/ beef it's cottage pie - but I grew up calling it all shepherd's pie thanks to my ENGLISH dad, Ted Fairhead :wink:). I am going to try that!!

I am sick with pneumonia, so haven't cooked at all this week. On Valentine's day, we booted our reservations and Mr. Kim provided this at my request:

gallery_34972_3580_31020.jpg

Steamed jumbo shrimp, crusty bread, salad and some good olives we brought home from our weekend trip to Washington. He did good! It was all very good and satisfying to my soup and cracker eating tummy!

I am sick with pneumonia, so haven't cooked at all this week.  On Valentine's day, we booted our reservations and Mr. Kim provided this at my request:

gallery_34972_3580_31020.jpg

Steamed jumbo shrimp, crusty bread, salad and some good olives we brought home from our weekend trip to Washington.  He did good!  It was all very good and satisfying to my soup and cracker eating tummy!

Hey when I get sick that's what I want to eat. Looks delicious.

That looks lovely Kim but surely it's too rich to eat when you're sick! My wife has been ill all week and all she can manage is a mouthful of plain Jook (rice porridge) every so often. Can't imagine struggling through a crusty baguette and peeling shrimp when feeling poorly :sad: Hope you are feeling better anyway

Everybody's Dinners look wonderful this week, here are some of ours recently:

Steamed Scallops

gallery_52657_4505_49124.jpg

Green Prawn & Aubergine Curry

gallery_52657_4505_168511.jpg

And this morning i bought some spanking fresh lemon sole, unfortunately my wife still isn't up to eating much so i had to fillet and fry half of it with some fries for myself. My ode to Fish n' Chips:

gallery_52657_4505_425635.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_119784.jpg

My wife claims i was torturing her with the fries! :huh:

That looks lovely Kim but surely it's too rich to eat when you're sick!  My wife has been ill all week and all she can manage is a mouthful of plain Jook (rice porridge) every so often. Can't imagine struggling through a crusty baguette and peeling shrimp when feeling poorly  :sad:  Hope you are feeling better anyway

Everybody's Dinners look wonderful this week, here are some of ours recently:

Steamed Scallops

gallery_52657_4505_49124.jpg

Green Prawn &  Aubergine Curry

gallery_52657_4505_168511.jpg

And this morning i bought some spanking fresh lemon sole, unfortunately my wife still isn't up to eating much so i had to fillet and fry half of it with some fries for myself.  My ode to Fish n' Chips:

gallery_52657_4505_425635.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_119784.jpg

My wife claims i was torturing her with the fries!  :huh:

I don't know why, but the shrimp just really appealed to me that night. I had been eating nothing but soup and crackers and pretzels since Monday and the slight spiciness of the shrimp just really worked for me - plus, I only managed to eat 2 of them. I chewed on that bread for an hour, though - it tasted good, but hurt to chew!

The fish and chips are lovely. I, too, would have been tortured by the fries - I know I couldn't have handled anything fried yet this week!

Today, I managed to stay on my feet for longer than any other day this week - I've been doing about 5 minutes every hour and a half before becoming seriously winded, but since having a breathing treatment a couple of days ago, I am doing better. Managing about 15 minutes per hour. I put together a very simple dinner - creamy chicken enchiladas (recipe sent to me by my mom - very good, too), canned black beans with chilis and cumin and chips:

gallery_34972_3580_32134.jpg

with blood oranges and grapes for dessert (somehow I didn't get to the brownies with chocolate chips I planned to make earlier today :rolleyes: ):

gallery_34972_3580_226105.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Been lazy documenting our recent dinners, but yesterday I thought I 'd fry some chicken with some of the seasoned flour that hubby already made.

gallery_48583_5441_370725.jpg

gallery_48583_5441_185510.jpg

For dessert, we're still trying to get a dent on the korean pears that we received as a gift from my hubby's boss.

gallery_48583_5441_174532.jpg

To give perspective on how big these pears are, here is Billy holding one in his hand (and drooling uncontrollably). :raz:

gallery_48583_5441_386561.jpg

Pardon the shot of the commode at the back, I forgot the door was open when I took the shot. :shock:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Rona - the pears are definitely still in season, or is it the tail end of it? I am not sure. All I know is that strawberries are definitely in season as we have a huge styrofoam box of it in the fridge right now.

Last night I made Roast Salmon with a Rice/Spinach Cake and a Coconut-Curry Sauce with Baby Corn and Straw Mushrooms. There is a little salad of Cilantro and Fried Shallot on top of the Salmon:

gallery_41580_4407_70282.jpg

Coupla recent dinners

"Mediterranean Chicken" from this month's "Fine Cooking". Absolutely delicious but 'left overs' the following day had a slightly unpleasant after taste....dunno why, maybe the balsamic vinegar?

gallery_50527_4885_33876.jpg

Then tilapia lightly sauteed in butter with a white wine, butter and capers sauce

gallery_50527_4885_51309.jpg

Dinner tonight was five days in the making... Duck Three Ways.

First, Roasted Apple and Garlic Bisque with Duck:

gallery_29755_5715_1019349.jpg

It doesn't look very interesting, but so, so good. Oven-roasted Granny Smiths and multiple heads of garlic, scented with thyme. I also gave it a little boost with some "duck jelly" from confit. Then I put a few pieces of browned duck meat in each bowl then sprinkled with duck skin cracklings. This is the same recipe as this one only with duck instead of chicken.

Next course, green salad with seared duck breast and orange vinaigrette (also containing crumbled bleu cheese and chopped walnuts):

gallery_29755_5715_773251.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot all about the camera for the final course, duck leg confit & shiitake pot stickers and potatoes roasted in duck fat. I sauteed minced fresh shiitakes, then mixed in shredded duck leg confit and sliced scallions for the pot sticker filling. I made a dipping sauce from soy, ultra-reduced duck stock and assorted other goodies. Here's the recipe.

Doddie, Billy looks dangerously close to violating the advice to “never eat anything bigger than your head.” :smile:

Two firsts tonight: carnitas and ganache (no, not in the same dish). Dinner was pork carnita tacos with guacamole, salsa, and home-made corn tortillas. Pork shoulder simmering with onions, garlic, chiles, and Mexican oregano makes a wonderful air freshener. Details on Making Mexican at Home.

gallery_42956_2536_8185.jpg

For dessert we made “Campton Place hot chocolate” (click). The boys declared it “too chocolaty”. As if.

gallery_42956_2536_17351.jpg

Bruce - I made sure Billy only ate a fourth of it. LOL

With my hormones running amuck right now, I'd love to have a pitcher of that lovely hot chocolate. (Yes, it is that time of the month). Come to think about it, I would also love a platter of that pork. Hmmmm...

Bruce -- we must have been on the same wave length last night, as it was my first time making carnitas as well! I served them with cilantro rice and little cubes of sauteed zukes... I thought they were good (though a little too salty, once all the cooking liquid had boiled off), but DH thought they were fantastic, so that's always nice... I think I cooked them a little too long before crisping them, since some of the cubes were starting to fall apart into shreds by that point...