• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

eynkiora: Beautiful potstickers, and welcome to Dinner!

Thai week, continued: tonight we made an unusual (at least to me) dish: red curry with beef and pickled green peppercorns, from True Thai. With bamboo shoots, slivered serrano chiles, tender beef, coconut milk, palm sugar, fish sauce, Sriracha, and lots of Thai basil, this was a delicious and varied mix of flavors and textures. I am so looking forward to having some for breakfast. More on Thai Cooking at Home.

The boys hit their Thai food limit the previous night, so Mrs. C made them pasta and meatballs. Stir-fried baby mustard greens and jasmine rice rounded out the meal. Apologies for the blurry pic.

gallery_42956_2536_32882.jpg

I did one of my favorites last night, 'Broasted Chicken.' It's the same technique that Colonel Sanders perfected when he was selling chicken out of the back of his gas station in Kentucky and before he found fame with KFC.

It's a combination of deep-frying and pressure cooking. The chicken gets nice and crispy on the outside with very moist meat. It cooks in about 15 minutes.

gallery_41580_4407_39382.jpg

Then for dessert I made an individual Blackberry Cobbler served with whipped cream.

gallery_41580_4407_6717.jpg

Sorry, a little shaky with the camera and not in focus as much as I like.

I did one of my favorites last night, 'Broasted Chicken.'  It's the same technique that Colonel Sanders perfected when he was selling chicken out of the back of his gas station in Kentucky and before he found fame with KFC. 

It's a combination of deep-frying and pressure cooking.  The chicken gets nice and crispy on the outside with very moist meat.  It cooks in about 15 minutes. 

gallery_41580_4407_39382.jpg

Then for dessert I made an individual Blackberry Cobbler served with whipped cream.

gallery_41580_4407_6717.jpg

Sorry, a little shaky with the camera and not in focus as much as I like.

David, I'm glad I found someone that makes chicken just like we do!!!! Isn't it JUST the BEST?!

Yes! Broasted chicken is so delicious. I'm so glad to find someone else who does fried chicken this way. I guess we can call ourselfs 'The Broaster Society.'

A few years back I went on a fried chicken quest to determine which method of frying chicken was my favorite. I had to search long and hard to find a pressure cooker that would also allow for deep-frying with hot oil. Most of today's pressure cookers aren't rated as safe for deep-frying with oil when the pressure lid is on the pot. The cooker I found is made by 'Fagor' of Germany and I think it was around $100.00. It was worth the cost because I don't find any other fried chicken techniques give such wonderful results.

Yes!  Broasted chicken is so delicious.  I'm so glad to find someone else who does fried chicken this way.  I guess we can call ourselfs 'The Broaster Society.' 

A few years back I went on a fried chicken quest to determine which method of frying chicken was my favorite. I had to search long and hard to find a pressure cooker that would also allow for deep-frying with hot oil.  Most of today's pressure cookers aren't rated as safe for deep-frying with oil when the pressure lid is on the pot.  The cooker I found is made by 'Fagor' of Germany and I think it was around $100.00.  It was worth the cost because I don't find any other fried chicken techniques give such wonderful results.

OMG that's EXACTLY what happened with us! My husband went on this month long mission to make chicken just like KFC. We finally narrowed it down to your method after WEEKS of tries. We've found it's a bit "healthier" too, because it seems like a lot of the grease drains out in the bottom of the pressure cooker.

Yes!  Broasted chicken is so delicious.  I'm so glad to find someone else who does fried chicken this way.  I guess we can call ourselfs 'The Broaster Society.' 

A few years back I went on a fried chicken quest to determine which method of frying chicken was my favorite. I had to search long and hard to find a pressure cooker that would also allow for deep-frying with hot oil.  Most of today's pressure cookers aren't rated as safe for deep-frying with oil when the pressure lid is on the pot.  The cooker I found is made by 'Fagor' of Germany and I think it was around $100.00.  It was worth the cost because I don't find any other fried chicken techniques give such wonderful results.

OMG that's EXACTLY what happened with us! My husband went on this month long mission to make chicken just like KFC. We finally narrowed it down to your method after WEEKS of tries. We've found it's a bit "healthier" too, because it seems like a lot of the grease drains out in the bottom of the pressure cooker.

WOW-Cooking ESP!

I've follwed the Colonel Sanders story and I've eaten chicken at the original restaurant, 'Claudia Sander's Dinner House' in Kentucky. If you cook chicken using our method of pressure-cooking/deep-frying, you'll get the same results as they do at the original restaurant.

And as opposed to the KFC chicken you get at a fast-food outlet, i.e. overly seasoned and often too salty, you can control the seasoning and salt at home. At the fast-food outlets they use a preapred flour seasoning mix made miles away and probably weeks ago. Their special seasoned flour mix is what gives their chicken a consistent taste, but for my taste the chicken doesn't come out tasting fresh.

While I do like KFC, when you make chicken at home using fresh seasoned flour and your pressure-cooker, your chicken will taste fresher than the fast-food variety.

I think what sets this fried chicken apart from the other 'country' method of frying chicken in a cast iron skillet is that the pressure-cooked/deep-frying technique gives you incredibly moist chicken that actually bursts with juices when you bite into it. Delicious summer fare.

WOW-Cooking ESP!

I've follwed the Colonel Sanders story and I've eaten chicken at the original restaurant, 'Claudia Sander's Dinner House' in Kentucky. If you cook chicken using our method of pressure-cooking/deep-frying, you'll get the same results as they do at the original restaurant.

And as opposed to the KFC chicken you get at a fast-food outlet, i.e. overly seasoned and often too salty, you can control the seasoning and salt at home. At the fast-food outlets they use a preapred flour seasoning mix made miles away and probably weeks ago. Their special seasoned flour mix is what gives their chicken a consistent taste, but for my taste the chicken doesn't come out tasting fresh.

While I do like KFC, when you make chicken at home using fresh seasoned flour and your pressure-cooker, your chicken will taste fresher than the fast-food variety.

I think what sets this fried chicken apart from the other 'country' method of frying chicken in a cast iron skillet is that the pressure-cooked/deep-frying technique gives you incredibly moist chicken that actually bursts with juices when you bite into it. Delicious summer fare.

Exactly! I love that it's not SO salty.

Bruce has his eternal cucumbers, and for two months out of the year, I have essential sweet corn. We've been eating it six nights a week (my family has begged for a night off every week -- they call it colon recovery :biggrin: ). Usually with something off the grill, or a plate of tomatoes and mozz, or a stir fry and rice (fusion).

But tonight, for me, it was simply corn and butter.

gallery_6263_35_6617.jpg

I splurged on some butter from France from Whole Paycheck:

gallery_6263_35_5697.jpg

Although this butter is really, really good (and the fleur de sel is a wonderful addition), I think I prefer Hope Butter, a local butter that is cultured and with a bit of tang to offset the sweetness of the corn.

My, do I love July and August.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ahh, Snowangel, me being outside of Cleveland, Oh, we are truly kindred spirits.

I make BLT's using my first ripe tomato, and brought corn from our farmer's market, picked two hours before I ate it.

I, like you, adore this time of year. The best dinner ever.

---------------------------------------

gallery_6263_35_6617.jpg

. . . My, do I love July and August.

I can see why - that's beautiful.

We had our usual fried rice Friday with cukes, tomatoes, and lime wedges. We also stir-fried shrimp with salt, sugar, scallions, and smoked paprika and heated up yesterday’s red curry with beef and green peppercorns.

gallery_42956_2536_49600.jpg

Snowangel..........words fail me! Man, I love summer!

Bruce, fantastic, as usual, I always enjoy the colors in your dishes. Must be in the air, there is a lot of shrimp flying around here!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

can you tell me how you do this? sounds scary..

Bruce has his eternal cucumbers, and for two months out of the year, I have essential sweet corn.  We've been eating it six nights a week (my family has begged for a night off every week -- they call it colon recovery  :biggrin: ).  Usually with something off the grill, or a plate of tomatoes and mozz, or a stir fry and rice (fusion).

But tonight, for me, it was simply corn and butter.

gallery_6263_35_6617.jpg

I splurged on some butter from France from Whole Paycheck:

gallery_6263_35_5697.jpg

Although this butter is really, really good (and the fleur de sel is a wonderful addition), I think I prefer Hope Butter, a local butter that is cultured and with a bit of tang to offset the sweetness of the corn.

My, do I love July and August.

I don't know if I love you or hate you for posting this pic..waiting impatiently for corn..snif

hot spicy tangy wonderful Tamarind/Passion fruit

ribs and chicken ...

smiling at a yard full of happy sauce covered faces now  :smile:

gallery_51681_4569_23537.jpg

I can just smell this one through the computer screen. Last year (too long ago, actually) I did a smoked duck with a tamarind/date glaze and those flavors were just so wonderful together. The tamarind makes a great BBQ sauce.

All this talk of corn reminds me that me folks are growing some this year. I hope to be able to get mine soon. We also have two stalks in the backyard that my 5 year-old started in school. I planted them mostly to humor him, but now I'm really hoping that we get something out of them :smile: If not this year, then definitely next.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

can you tell me how you do this? sounds scary..

Using the broaster method for chicken sounds scary-deep-frying under pressure, but it is really safe and easy.

Make sure that you buy a pressure cooker that is built for deep-frying. Most pressure cookers only allow you to cook with water or other liquids while under pressure. The pressure cooker I use is designed to allow you to deep-fry while the pressure lid is on. I don't know about the mechanics of pressure cookers but the one I use has never caused me any problems.

You basically deep-fry the chicken for about 2 minutes in hot oil in the pot of the pressure cooker. Then you put the lid on and tighten it down really hard. There is a seal around the bottom edges of the lid to keep it sealed onto the pot. There are alos two clamps on the outside of the pot to hold the lid down under pressure.

The only odd sound you'll hear is steam escaping through the pressure valve which is normal. So don't worry that the lid will come off during frying/cooking.

The pressure that builds up in the cooker is what cooks the meat of the chicken so quickly, and the steam that builds up inside is what makes the chicken moist.

After about 15 minutes you lift up the pressure valve to release the pressure inside the cooker. After about a minute then you unscrew the lid and let the chicken cook another 30 seconds or so before you take it out of the oil.

I let the chicken rest on a rack over a cookie sheet to drain the oil. You can't re-use the oil because it has been watered down from the cooking juices and steam.

The home pressure-cooker/deep-fryer method is the same technique that KFC and some grocery stores use for chicken, just on a smaller scale.

The term 'broasted chicken' actually comes from the 'Broaster' company of Beloit, Wisconsin. The company has sold the equipment for broasted chicked since the early 1950's. So it wasn't just Colonel Sanders who discovered the great results of deep-frying and cooking chicken under pressure.

You should do some investigating and try it at home, the results are delicious.

snowangel, that corn looks so good. I wish I could get good corn here :sad:

2 recent dinners: hotdogs with really good sausages, on homemade buns, with mustardmayo, suaerkraut, fried onions and pickles

gallery_21505_2929_49291.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_11872.jpg

we need more bite shots :laugh:

yesterday I made pasta with chickpeas, lots of rosemary and garlic

gallery_21505_2929_13201.jpg

snowangel, that corn looks so good. I wish I could get good corn here  :sad:

2 recent dinners: hotdogs with really good sausages, on homemade buns, with mustardmayo, suaerkraut, fried onions and pickles

gallery_21505_2929_49291.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_11872.jpg

we need more bite shots  :laugh:

yesterday I made pasta with chickpeas, lots of rosemary and garlic

gallery_21505_2929_13201.jpg

That sausage looks really delicious. Is it made with pork?

Everyone's dishes look wonderful.

Last night I made a Razor Clam Seviche based on a recipe from Ming Tsai for his 'Miso-Citrus' Marinade. You can find the recipe for his marinade on his website.

gallery_41580_4407_11021.jpg

Basic steamed rice.

gallery_41580_4407_32802.jpg

Then I made my version of Steamed Beef with Tangerine and Fermented Black Beans based on a recipe from 'The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen' by Grace Young. I added fresh tangerine peel and fermented black beans to the basic recipe. I used a really good beef tenderloin that I sliced. You only steam the beef in a bamboo steamer for 3 minutes. The marinade makes the beef incredibly soft and the quick steam leaves the meat very tender and juicy.

gallery_41580_4407_5093.jpg

Oh my! Words fail me. What GORGEOUS food pictures everyone!

Snowangel, that corn picture should be in a gourmet magazine.

C. sapidus, your shrimp. Yum.

Chufi, that is the best looking dog I've ever seen. I now have a serious craving for a fat, juicy dog!

David, great explanation on the chicken. Your razor clam ceviche--WOW! I have a few razors and I'm going to try that!

Hot diggity dawg, i second that! Love the action shot Chufi :biggrin:

Just polished off a posh Fish and Chip supper... sea bass, fries and braised fennel. Bit of a strange combo, i was just going to do the fish & fennel but that big red potato was crying out to be used.

gallery_52657_4505_436823.jpg

Last Sunday's verson of salad nicoise

Spanish tuna packed in oil and a can of chunk light in water-water drained, oil not

ripe tomato

teeny tiny boiled potatoes...the inspiration

grean beans

boiled egg

and a poached garlic red wine vin dressing with fresh basil

gallery_23695_426_247380.jpg

""whats for dinner?

....nicoise salad

whats that?

....boiled potatoes and tuna fish

Ok""

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association