• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

It was a veritable pasta extravaganza at this evening's Serious Foodie cooking class.

gallery_18820_1799_33123.jpg

Linguine with Broccolini and Prosciutto

Wine Pairing: La Vieille Ferme - Côte de Lubéron Blanc

We focused our pasta-making skills on the tortellini that is to follow and used Rustichella in putting this dish together. Additional ingredients inlcude pine nuts, chili flakes and torn mint and basil leaves.

Two more pasta dishes followed; because of time constraints, however, we split the fruits of our labours with another group of classmates. Our group was responsible for a meat-based pasta dish.

gallery_18820_1799_62440.jpg

Tortellini - Before

I'll lay claim to folding the really cute ones in the back. :wink:

gallery_18820_1799_32901.jpg

Turkey/Ground Pork/Smoked Cheese Tortellini - After

Wine Pairing: Cono Sur 2005 Pinot Noir

What really made this dish was the addition of smoked gouda and smoked provolone to the filling. Delicious.

gallery_18820_1799_7302.jpg

Prawn/Leek Tortellini with Vodka/Lemon/Cream Sauce

This was, far and away, the evening's standout dish. Large chunks of prawn in the filling that you could sink your teeth into, wonderfully accented by mint and leek, and topped with an exquisitely delicate sauce. I'll be repeating this dish at home, that's for sure.

We also made biscotti flavoured with hazelnuts, cornmeal, lemon zest and anise seed. Although these were intended to be our dessert, I'm saving mine until I can enjoy them properly with my morning cappuccino.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I have really really wanted kimchee for a couple of days now, so 4 stores later I had a basket with kimchee, wakame salad, teeny piece of tuna, 2 tilapia filets, baby bok choi, garlic, udon, sesame seeds, broiled eel sushi roll, and sesame nut crunch....oh and Pocky.

Grandma just got out of a rehab center so I have been making up all our leftovers into frozen dinners she can nuke. Grabbed them and my groceries and went to her place. Shared with grandma some kimchee, wakame, and eel sushi for lunch.

Then gave her some strawberry Pocky to make up for it :raz:

Went home and made ...soy honey marinated tuna rolled in sesame seeds and pan seared served over wakame salad - floured and seasoned the tilapia with the seasoning packet from the Udon - plain jasmin rice - sauteed the baby bok choi with lots of garlic and carrots with sesame oil and seeds - and put the kimchee on the rice.

too many flavors and too much food...oh well

gallery_23695_426_431025.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Didn't feel like cooking, so we had goats milk gouda, fontina, Genoa salami, sun-dried tomato stuffed olives, Boursin, La Brea pan rustique. Oh, and some of the tapenade my boss mailed me from Provence. Sauvignon Blanc. Reese's peanut butter cup ice cream for dessert.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Lamb ragout with red peppers, roast eggplant and potatoes:

lamsragout.jpg

I braised a lambshank for the first time yesterday. Pulled the meat of the bones today, and reheated in the sauce (onions, carrots, red wine and rosemary) with chunks of red pepper. It was the most tender lamb I have ever had.. so rich and sweet. Mmm..

dessert:

gallery_21505_1968_25596.jpg

stoofperen with lemon vanilla rice porridge.

See the Dutch Cooking thread for details on those pears.. :smile:

I braised a lambshank for the first time yesterday. Pulled the meat of the bones today, and reheated in the sauce (onions, carrots, red wine and rosemary) with chunks of red pepper. It was the most tender lamb I have ever had.. so rich and sweet. Mmm..

That looks really good.. What became of them bones?

Tonight, I decided to surprise Rachel with a Prime NY Strip steak dinner, with oven roasted herb potatoes and sauteed spinach with garlic.

gallery_2_4_31543.jpg

gallery_2_4_85509.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Tonight, whole wheat Penne with sauteed Broccoli Rabe, chopped olives and red pepper flakes. Lots of garlic in the sautee and lots of grated Pecorino at the end.

It was very good. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I scraped all the marrow out of the the bone and added it to the sauce, which made it lovely and rich.. should (or could) I have done anything else with the bone?

Cheese plate with thin slivers of Edam and smoked Gouda, with some thin crisp crackers. Soy/garlic-rubbed roast chicken; rice and the pan juices; baby green peas with butter; tomatoes and cucumber sticks from the garden. Decaf caramel latte for dessert.

Every bit of the leftover chicken, plus every teeny bit of the sauce is in a flat container in the fridge, awaiting tomorrow's lunch of chicken soup. I'll simmer the chicken tomorrow a.m. with sliced onion and celery, then throw in some extra wide noodles at the end. It will be awaiting us as we come in from the chill after planting two dozen hostas in the back garden. Vanilla-scented poached purple plums are chilling for lunch dessert.

I scraped all the marrow out of the the bone and added it to the sauce, which made it lovely and rich.. should (or could) I have done anything else with the bone?

I am sure you could have in terms of stock or something. I just love marrow on the shank so I was hoping it didnt go to waste and it certainly didnt..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Jason, that's a big piece of meat! :shock:  :biggrin:

I, on the other hand, too lazy to actually cook, ended up with a vegetarian supper -

WhiteBeanSalad-vi.jpg

So pretty! Wow! I see orange peppers, white beans, avocado, and tomatoes...am I missing anything? Looks delicious.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

That steak is perfect.. How did you cook it..

I bought both steaks from Fairway Market (not to be confused with the ones in NYC) in Fort Lee, NJ -- two NYC Prime Strips. I then salted and peppered the meat on all sides, and let the spices penetrate for about half an hour. Right before cooking I lubed them up with a small amount of corn oil. I then pulled out the big cast iron pan and heated it for about 5 minutes at full blast until it got really freakin hot. I then put the steaks on, first on the side where the fatty layer is, to render the fat out and to sear that side good. Then, with a good amount of grease in the pan, I cooked each for about 3 minutes per side. I then removed them from the pan and kept them warm in the toaster oven at 150 for about 10 minutes until ready to serve and so they could rest.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Every bit of the leftover chicken, plus every teeny bit of the sauce is in a flat container in the fridge, awaiting tomorrow's lunch of chicken soup.  I'll simmer the chicken tomorrow a.m. with sliced onion and celery, then throw in some extra wide noodles at the end.    It will be awaiting us as we come in from the chill after planting two dozen hostas in the back garden.  Vanilla-scented poached purple plums are chilling for lunch dessert.

I am always very happy when someone finds a great use for leftovers! Good for you.

I did a nice selection of leftovers yesterday. Tossed some white rice with juices/sauce from the Monday Braciole. Heated the Braciole along with the remaining squash wedges and sliced the meat thin. Arranged the meat and squash nicely on top of the rice and served. Looked like a brand new dish.

I also made a salad with some hot house tomatoes (not too bad), thinly sliced onion, capers, mint leaves and large chunks of toasted homemade Italian bread all tossed in olive oil and red wine vinegar....a Panzanella of sorts.

Dessert was more of the toasted bread with a thick smear of homemade Pear-Chocolate spread.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That steak is perfect.. How did you cook it..

I bought both steaks from Fairway Market (not to be confused with the ones in NYC) in Fort Lee, NJ -- two NYC Prime Strips. I then salted and peppered the meat on all sides, and let the spices penetrate for about half an hour. Right before cooking I lubed them up with a small amount of corn oil. I then pulled out the big cast iron pan and heated it for about 5 minutes at full blast until it got really freakin hot. I then put the steaks on, first on the side where the fatty layer is, to render the fat out and to sear that side good. Then, with a good amount of grease in the pan, I cooked each for about 3 minutes per side. I then removed them from the pan and kept them warm in the toaster oven at 150 for about 10 minutes until ready to serve and so they could rest.

Very nice! Haven't had a good steak in a while and this really makes me want one.

Were these potatoes roasted in duck fat by any chance?...of course, I almost forgot, you don't like duck fat :shock::biggrin: . They look pretty tasty as well though.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog