• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

I probably overuse the words yum and yummy.  This dinner qualified as truly yummy, though.  With it we enjoyed Meridian Pinot Noir, which has become one of our current "house wines," and jumping back and forth between Cold Case and the baseball game.

gallery_13038_1949_141795.jpg

Swoooon

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Last evening late TV Dinner, excellent pizza two ways, one with a thin layer of whole-milk ricotta under a slick of pesto made with basil from the garden, and the other with bacon and a thin-sliced tomato from the garden, which had blown off the vine during high winds last week and ripened by now on the counter. Both with mozz. Romaine salad with Bob's Bleu Cheese Dressing. Nero D'Avola from Trader Joe's.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I probably overuse the words yum and yummy.  This dinner qualified as truly yummy, though.  With it we enjoyed Meridian Pinot Noir, which has become one of our current "house wines," and jumping back and forth between Cold Case and the baseball game.

gallery_13038_1949_141795.jpg

Swoooon

Oooo, Oooo, I missed that one.. Thats looks great..

And is it possible that I think something vegetarian looks good.. :biggrin: Thats looks great, Alinka...

Dinner last night:

Pan fried salmon with grilled asparagus and shallots on a bed of mashed potato. Topped with some lemon-hollandaise and roasted almonds.

gallery_18727_1966_21163.jpg

Tonight:

Summer is finally coming in and we can eat dinner on the balcony and enjoy the sunset providing we start cooking early enough.

First course was a ceaser salad with just cos lettuce and croutons.

gallery_18727_1966_58442.jpg

Second course was a shepards pie which had chunks of leg of lamb, simmered in a rich lamb stock for 3 hours, then chilled overnight. Added a mirepoix, red kidney beans, tomato paste, mustard, thyme, white wine, peas and corn. The lamb was meltingly tender and the gravy was like a liquid lamb injection :wub: .

gallery_18727_1966_47957.jpg

A shot of the interior:

gallery_18727_1966_32714.jpg

The wine we were drinking for both nights was a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Very crisp and lemony which was perfect for the salmon and salad although not ideal for the pie.

PS: I am a guy.

Oh, JOY!!!! Jubilation T. Cornpone and other alleluias. Another PORCH to enjoy all winter!!! I was dreading the withdrawal when Susan has to go in SOMETIME despite her Florida climate. And now YOURS!! My day is complete.

And the food is scrumptious, as well. I just love the world's having an eternal Summer SOMEWHERE.

Tonight began with oysters on the halfshell (malapeque) with just a teeny tiney squeeze of fresh lemon, sweet, briny, heaven! :wub::wub: I confess, I ate 20! Edamame for he that is allergic to shellfish (hee, hee, more for me).

To follow shortly, pan seared rare tuna with a wasabi/soy etc. dipping sauce, or wasabi mayo, rice with black sesame seeds and a salad of finely shredded cabbage, daikon, carrot, cucumer, wakame salad with a miso/mirin/rw vinegar dressing.

Pinot Grigio open at the moment, not sure what will follow. Of course this will be eaten in front of the tv so a certain someone doesn't miss the world series!!!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Oh, JOY!!!!  Jubilation T. Cornpone and other alleluias.  Another PORCH to enjoy all winter!!!    I was dreading the withdrawal when Susan has to go in SOMETIME despite her Florida climate.    And now YOURS!!    My day is complete.

And the food is scrumptious, as well.  I just love the world's having an eternal Summer SOMEWHERE.

:laugh::smile: ....Rachel, we ate indoors for the past two nights, on TV trays, watching TV. After Hurricane Wilma, our temps dropped and it's been cold! This is not supposed to last long, though, and I'm glad about that. Damn people around here get so happy about temps in the 50's in the morning and they pull out all sorts of coats and sweaters. It even made the local news that people are wearing coats and sweaters. I refuse. I will not give in. Anyway, we can't bring ourselves to eat at the table indoors and have stuck with the TV trays. That would be like giving in and wearing coats and sweaters.

So here is a picture of last night's dinner, taken on a kitchen counter.

gallery_13038_1949_102529.jpg

A roast of beef, rotisserie cooked on the grill (cold as it was :smile: ); fingerling potatoes with butter and parsley; white and green asparagus with a little bit of olive oil; and orange cauliflower, roasted of course :rolleyes:.

I don't know what my pictures will look like after this. I took the big jump today and bought a new DSLR camera and I have to get to know it. Wish me luck.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I refuse.  I will not give in. 

I finally gave in Susan. I took a 28 degree (F) morning to cause me to doff the shorts and long pants. Cold toes reminded me that socks with Birkie sandals do work. But, as the days warm with that brilliant fall sun, I doff the long pants in favor of shorts. I'm a die hard.

Anyway, dinner tonight. You and I have both raved about the HSSS Chinese brocooli. It also works with bok choy.

So, for dinner tongight, Bok Choy (ala that recipe with that wonderful fermented bean stuff), pan seared salmon.

Peter snarfed if all up, and I am pleased to note that this almost 10-year old is developing an appreciation for new things. The salmon, slightly smashed on his plate, bok choy underneat, that wonderful liquid from the bok choy on top, gave me pause to copy. Wonderful!

No photos. Four hungry people lead me to eat and help rather than to take photos.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

gallery_5404_94_377073.jpg

Roasted halibut with sauteed zucchini and roasted garlic potato wedges. OVerall it was pretty good, except for a few bites of the zucchini that turned out bitter! One of the most annoying things.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wendy, that one was the "last" one from the old camera, but thanks. I haven't put the new one together yet or started reading how to operate it. I wish I didn't have to work today. I am chomping at the bit to get to it.

Elie, as always, it's good to see you posting your temptingly delicious looking dinners!

Tired, hungry, not up to cooking dinner. Sauteed some pancetta, fried some eggs in the fat with butter :blink: , put pancetta on top of eggs, fresh mozzarella on top of pancetta. Served on buttered toasted Ray's bagels. In bed (asleep) by 9:10 p.m.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Tonight, I decided to surprise Rachel with a Prime NY Strip steak dinner, with oven roasted herb potatoes and sauteed spinach with garlic.

gallery_2_4_31543.jpg

gallery_2_4_85509.jpg

Man, that is absolutely gorgeous -- 'cept the picture is, uh, too rich... The color needs adjusting.

Its not my usual camera, Grub. My Coolpix 5700 died and I am borrowing my Father-in-law's point and shoot, which has no RAW capability.

I took the photo directly underneath the hood lighting, which has like an orange tint to it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hey, where is everyone tonight?? Is it date night? out on the town??

We started with Lillet blanc and some artichoke hearts I marinated in red wine vinegar, EVOO and red pepper flakes.

Then made Conchiglie with chicken sausage peas and mushrooms and had a side salad of greens and pomegranate

56766974_86aea7f818.jpg

I was eating a late dinner of leftovers, and reading about my new camera until I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer.

Tired, hungry, not up to cooking dinner. Sauteed some pancetta, fried some eggs in the fat with butter  :blink: , put pancetta on top of eggs, fresh mozzarella on top of pancetta. Served on buttered toasted Ray's bagels. In bed (asleep) by 9:10 p.m.

Mmm-mmmm... Gotta do that for brunch some day. Your creations give me great ideas. Thanks once again.

Hey, where is everyone tonight?? Is it date night? out on the town??

We started with Lillet blanc and some artichoke hearts I marinated in red wine vinegar, EVOO and red pepper flakes.

Then made Conchiglie with chicken sausage peas and mushrooms and had a side salad of greens and pomegranate

56766974_86aea7f818.jpg

Purty, purty, purty!

I was out for dinner with the fam - at the Hah-vahd Club. The food is ok - the popovers are GREAT. And the cocktails are huge.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I was having Peking Duck for the first time. It had to have been the restaurant. It was dry, the skin was like plastic and what astounded me is the meat and the skin had no,zero, zip, nada flavor. Why now why didn't I wait until I was at a decent place.

Hump!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Pan roasted chicken breast chunks with prosciutto, garlic and fresh rosemary, chicken stock & wine sauce

Trader Joe's Tuscan style bread brushed with olive oil and broiled, to soak up the sauce

Romaine, celery and Honeycrisp apple salad with blue cheese dressing

Sauvignon Blanc

and early to bed again!!!!

:wub: That just made my day

I was eating a late dinner of leftovers, and reading about my new camera until I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer.
Tired, hungry, not up to cooking dinner. Sauteed some pancetta, fried some eggs in the fat with butter  :blink: , put pancetta on top of eggs, fresh mozzarella on top of pancetta. Served on buttered toasted Ray's bagels. In bed (asleep) by 9:10 p.m.

Mmm-mmmm... Gotta do that for brunch some day. Your creations give me great ideas. Thanks once again.

Cape Breton Malpeque oysters on half-shell dressed with roasted chile oil and a few strands of lime zest.

Family style:

Shaved bonito congee with prawn balls, pork and mushroom balls, scallion ribbons.

Char siu (bbq pork).

Green-lipped mussels with shoyu.

Three kinds of kimchi: bok choy, Chinese chives, winter water pickle (dongchimi).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM