• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Very simple tonight. French Onion soup, made with the Onion Confit and croutons I made yesterday, homemade garlic bread, simple salad with balsamic vinigrette dressing. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Laurel, did you make the piima yourself?

Jason, that were luvly that were.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Usually when I make bragiole (sp?) I buy it already prepped & tied at an Italian butcher. Today, I ground up some breadsticks for crumbs, provolone cheese, parsley and a couple cloves of garlic. I also used this mixture as the filler/flavoring of turkey meatballs (for future meal). All were braised together in tomato sauce for an hour or so in my LeCruset in the oven at 250. The meat was so tender you didn't even need a knife to cut it.

Tonight we went CARB CRAZY!!

Penne alla Vodka (actually, I used fiori)

Fresh baguette w/butter

Left-over Rioja, to drink.

We also had a taste of the cannellini beans I made using the Parson's method, seasoned w/garlic and sage.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Seaweed broth with yuzu.

For table-top electric grills:

Slices of strip loin, marinated in garlic, s&p, awabi shoyu, chile oil.

Giant shrimp, peeled except for tail, marinated in s&p, chile oil.

Sea scallops, s&p, tiny bit of sesame oil.

Thick salted daikon rounds.

Cremini mushrooms marinated in awabi shoyu, s&p.

Fresh tortillas.

Mounds of slivered scallions, piles of coriander leaf.

Dipping sauces:

Fresh wasabi mayo, Dijon with horseradish, shoyu and wasabi, shoyu and lime.

Cabbage kimchi, daikon kimchi, scallion kimchi, green bean kimchi, gari (pickled ginger), pickled mustard greens.

Gohan.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Laurel, did you make the piima yourself?

Yep, I was give a culture last fall, and I've used it to culture cream, butter, and milk. When the milk is drained, you get a tangy, smooth, soft cheese, similar to quark or drained yogurt. Piima clabbers at room temperature, so it's a lot less fussy than yogurt.

Edited by laurel (log)

Here's the menu I did last night:

ten guests (four pregnant couples, two bachelors)

seared foie with compote of apple and vidalias reduced in orvieto and then elderflower syrup with a squeeze of lemon juice

leek and epoisse tart with roulade of wild mushrooms, reduction of madiera then cream

split down gender lines:

seared but mostly raw belly of yellowfin tuna (caught by one of the guests) served on a bed of blanched julienned jicama in a hazelnut oil, lime shallot vinaigrette (boys)

lightly escabeched then roasted wahoo served on a bed of julienned red carrots in a grapeseed oil, lime shallot vinaigrette (girls)

Dry-aged rib roast (from arthur avenue), creamed spinach (black truffle oil), horseradish mashed potatoes, fresh horseradish sauce and jus made from roast trimmings and foie gras trimmings.

tart: chocolate crust, custard, pomegranite seeds.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Tuesday: dinner at Bianca (which you can read about in the NY forum). Of note was the pasta, which is handmade at the restaurant and PERFECTLY al dente, perfectly sauced and just wow.

Wednesday dinner was bad Chinese takeout: crispy orange beef, brown rice and wonton soup. Only because it was getting late and I didn't feel like making dinner.

Soba

Here's the menu I did last night:

ten guests (four pregnant couples, two bachelors)

seared foie with compote of apple and vidalias reduced in orvieto and then elderflower syrup with a squeeze of lemon juice

leek and epoisse tart with roulade of wild mushrooms, reduction of madiera then cream

split down gender lines:

seared but mostly raw belly of yellowfin tuna (caught by one of the guests) served on a bed of blanched julienned jicama in a hazelnut oil, lime shallot vinaigrette (boys)

lightly escabeched then roasted wahoo served on a bed of julienned red carrots in a grapeseed oil, lime shallot vinaigrette (girls)

Dry-aged rib roast (from arthur avenue), creamed spinach (black truffle oil), horseradish mashed potatoes, fresh horseradish sauce and jus made from roast trimmings and foie gras trimmings.

tart: chocolate crust, custard, pomegranite seeds.

Oh my :wub: ... where have you been all my life? :biggrin:

That sounds just too good. Curious, though... why the gender split for the fish?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

i4578.jpg

Meatloaf with Meatball Garnish

:wub::wub: Dare I ask what the side dishes were?

I needed food as medicine tonight (it's allergy season, yay!), so I made extra hot Vindaloo chicken and drank club soda with bitters. Mmmmmm...much tastier than decongestant liquitabs.

Gourmet Anarchy

Meatloaf with Meatball Garnish
Mmmm.... that sounds, um, very meaty. :smile:

I have found that if I want to resume other parts of my life, I can't post what I have for dinner every night, as much as I enjoy sharing in the joy on this topic. I've got to face it: The Reality of eG's Addictive Qualities.

Tonight was especially good, though, so here goes...

Pasta with Fried Eggs, Caramelized Onions, and Bacon from the April 2004 Bon Appetit. I couldn't find the recipe on Epicurious yet, or else I would have provided a link. I followed the recipe pretty much exactly and it was delicious.

Salad of romaine, tomatoes, celery root, and sliced blue cheese-stuffed green olives, dressed with EVOO and golden balsamic vinegar and topped with toasted pine nuts.

Domaine Ste. Michelle sparkling wine, extra dry.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

That meatloaf was actually prepared for TOMORROW night's dinner. Tonight we had:

i4579.jpg

Pineapple Roasted Chicken marinated in "Soy Vey" with Wild Rice Pilaf and Stir Fried Vegetables

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The meatloaf had meatballs on top because I made enough meat loaf "batter" for two meatloaves. After I filled the loaf pan the second time (to put in the freezer, the first was put on a sheet pan to cook unpanned) I had a little meat leftover, so instead of just smooshing it onto the ready for the oven meatloaf, I made balls to decorate the top.

As long as I have the oven on, I try to cook more than one thing. So as long as the chicken was in there I cooked the meatloaf and a small pork roast (studded with garlic cloves).

The chicken, I roasted on top of pineapple rings instead of on a roasting rack. Some Soy Vey Island Marinade and some orange juice were also in the pan. Made a delicious gravy, defatted and thickened with some cornstarch.

Curious, though...  why the gender split for the fish?

It's not safe for the pregnant to eat raw fish. The tuna was served mostly raw, just seared on the outside. Also, those who caught the fish, the tuna and wahoo were at the meal and I wanted to do them the honor of cooking both.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

pcarpen, nice photo.

Actually last night I made myself a snack of a handful of mussels steamed in sake, dashi, and ginger with a scallion pancake.

(Hothouse) plum tomato halves scooped and filled with taramasalata garnished with chives.

Roasted yellow pepper broth.

Pasticchio (from the ziti dish made on Tuesday [i often make enough pasta to have adequate leftovers for this]) with parmesan curls and chunky bread crumbs, browned nicely, cut into a square, topped with an over easy fried egg. Served with sauteed spinach.

Salumi and pecorino, small crostini.

laurel - i love the idea of the garlic and mustard chard - how do you do it?

tonight in preparation for road trip 2004 will be clean the fridge night in which any perishables not going with us are either used or thrown out so we are having what my friend dena calls smecht

2 stuffed cabbage(i'll probably eat this)

3 stuffed clams(all john's)

2 pieces of smoked salmon on sun dried tomato bread(ditto)

1 small piece of cod and shoestring fries leftover from my lunch out(brought this back for john)

red leaf lettuce salad with the last of the shallot, plum tomatoes and kirby cuke

then last minute laundry, packing and cat petting

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight's dinner will be spareribs and saurkraut. This is one of my all time favourite meals. Hubby is not so enthused. A phone conversation a few minutes ago:

Hubby - Hi, what's for dinner? Want to go out?

Me: I'm just putting spareribs and saurkraut in the oven, besides we're going out tomorrow night.

Hubby: long pause..........I repeat....want to go out for dinner? :hmmm:

I still have some French Onion soup, so I'll likely serve that. I also made bacon bits and croutons, so if I get really ambitious, perhaps a Ceasar Salad. Depends on how many martinis I have when hubby gets home. Fridays are martini & scotch nights :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.