• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Last evening, lasagne with Bolognese and besciamella, quite trad except I for a little grated whole-milk mozz added with the Parmigiano when layering, by special request of the Consort.

First trial for Trader Joe's fresh pasta sheets, which have only flour and egg as ingredients, and which were not bad. I did boil and rinse them first, like I would noodles I made, even though they are sold as "no-boil," giving them every chance to perform. And they were as aforementioned not bad, if slightly coarse in their thickness, compared to the silk-charmeuse delicacy of homemade anyways. However, if one can swallow a little thickosity in the noodle area one can have lasagne Bolognese on a weeknight.

Nice salad of butter lettuce with a very buttery olive oil from Greece and Balsamic vinegar.

Ficelle from the Vietnamese French bakery, salty Plugra.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

king salmon with a teriyaki glaze

braised kale with bacon and apple

haven't decided on the starch - probably a texmati and wild rice

jicima slaw - because i want it

dessert - for john some of the chocolates he had his mom buy for him

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tuesday dinner:

just the kids and I, so Julia decided the menu

mapodofu

gobo and cucumber salad with a spicy mayo sauce

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Tuesday

Panko Crusted Chicken Cutlets with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce served on Rosemary Foccacia Bread

Sauteed Shanghai Bok Choy

Roasted Cauliflower

Curry Biryani with peas, red peppers and raisins

Cherry Almond Strudel

Edited by dumpling (log)

Sunday: bowl of homemade chickensoup

Basil Shallot Chevre omlette

slices of soprasetta

Monday: More soup with lots of onions

ground beef in fireroasted tomato sauce

Tuesday: Still more soup

hot dog with sauerkraut and chopped onion

french fries with tobasco ketchup

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Grilled Miso-Marinated Tofu with Shiitake Mushrooms and Cabbage

Brown Rice

Dessert belongs in the weird cravings thread: dried tart cherry brownies, slathered with vanilla-cranberry Peanut Better and a dollop of thick Persian yogurt

i3647.jpg

Edited by Rhea_S (log)

Passover is 5 weeks away so I'm beginning to deplete my supplies that will otherwise get tossed.

I had some lemon sole, which I dredged in cornmeal seasoned with S & P, chili powder and cumin. Then I dipped the filets in egg and re-coated in the cornmeal. The filets were then pan fried. The fish had a great crispy crust and the chil-cumin gave the bland fish a nice kick. We had farfalle drizzled with evoo as a side.

Then some El Rey 70% to finish.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Friday:

Vodka martini. Then half of an excellent bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape that I forgot to make note of. Hey, there were 3 olives in the martini.

Saturday:

Some things that my boyfriend had in his house: A couple rib-eyes (quite good, started on the stove and finished in the oven like everything I've cooked lately), some frozen curly fries :raz: , some baby 'bella caps cooked in the beef fat and then broiled with butter, parsley and garlic, a salad (he had salad greens :shock: ) with feta crumbles and a vinaigrette. I think he brought home a Malbec.

Sunday:

Tuna, seared, served over a bed of fresh angel hair pasta in a cream sauce with ginger, cilantro, and shiitakes, which I think was ripped off from Bon Appetit a few years back and has undergone many tweakings since. The sauce is fabulous.

And a Cadbury Egg for dessert.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Poached egg on sauteed spinach with slivered scallions and a large roasted cremini mushroom.

Chicken livers seared rare with chile oil and shallots on crostini.

Smashed baby white potatoes sauteed in EVOO and bacon fat, much fleur de sel, fresh wasabi mayonaisse.

Chops cut from a pork loin roast witha shoyu, lime, and ancho glaze, rosemary oil and lemon pesto (lemon, asiago, sunflower seeds) around the chop. Small bunch of mesclun.

Roasted artichoke cap stuffed with ricotta and minced artichoke stem.

Cheese course of fruilano, smoked caccacavalo, pecorino with a few drops of 18 year old balsamico trad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Herb and cheese dumplings simmered in vegetable broth, with poached egg on top.

Spinach and romaine salad with red onions, roasted red peppers, walnuts, and wheatberries, dressed with a mustard vinaigrette.

Cheap-ass merlot.

Edited to add: And a homemade orangeflower amaretto for dessert.

Edited by redfox (log)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Bulgogi on red leaf lettuce

Seltzer to drink.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

i3732.jpg

Rachel made meatloaf with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Yum.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Whole cut up chicken flavored with ground ginger and cinnamon, browned in Samen, then oven braised atop a layer of bulghur, onions and bell peppers. When done the whole thing was topped with chopped parsley and preserved lemon. It came out very good.

i3733.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Just finished Thursday dinner:

semi-dried horse mackeral, grilled

shirae (tofu dressed) mizuna and carrots

Chinese cabbage pickles

Miso soup with Japanese sweet potato and aburage (tofu pockets)

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Last evening, tonkatsu, not with the usual tenderloin but with thin rib chops which appealed to me at the pan-Asian supermarket, which as a precaution against toughness I did pound to a fare-thee-well. Very thin, schnitzele-like, very good.

Carrot kinpira, marinated soy bean sprouts, snow peas blanched and dressed with Torakris's sesame sauce. Cabbage pickle, the last of my current batch, time to make more, a splash of soy sauce over.

Lovely new-crop Nishiki from the cooker. May be the power of suggestion, that little "new-crop" flag on the bag, but wow it might have been the best rice ever, even among Nishiki always being good.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Remoulade (celery root slaw) with salmon row.

Seafood bisque with a smoked paprika oil garnish.

Seared scallop atop sauteed kale with a garish of deep-fried kale stems.

Roasted bluefish with lemon pesto atop colcannon (mashers with caramelized onion, cabbage, and poblano chiles mixed up).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

last nite, seared then roasted bone in skin on chicken breasts seasoned with a dry rub

sauteed peas with caramelized onions and crisped proscuitto

white bean /rosemary gratin

tonite, grilled pork chops with thai flavors

roasted cauliflower

sauteed spinach with garlic

This week is one of those easy ones. No challenges. Tomorrow - we eat out!

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

I think this is a record for me. I've actually made dinner three nights in a row. (And it will be four since I cook for the sabbath)

Tonight we had salmon filets poached in an orange juice - chenin blanc reduction with farfalle tossed with one of the Barilla tomato sauces. Chenin blanc to drink.

Thursday

Grilled Flank Steak with Southwest Char Crust

Steak marinated with vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and shallots for about five hours then drained and covered with the Char Crust. Marinade worked very well.

Twice baked Potato Cups with Carmelized Shallots

Baked potatoes in skins, then take out of skin, mashed with asiago, milk, little cream cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne, put back in and topped with carmelized shallots. Baked again.

Brussels Sprouts in butter

Apple Walnut Crisp

Thumbs up from the family.

Edited by dumpling (log)