• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

The okra was (were?) a wow, but the chicken was disappointing. Got nice crusty caramelization from the honey, but just tasted like barbecue sauce.

It really is true that the key with paprika is more, WAY more, than you think is sane. For my goulash (made with Buddhist "mock duck") I must have used at least two tablespoons, and possibly three or four, for about four servings of food.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

The okra was (were?) a wow, but the chicken was disappointing. Got nice crusty caramelization from the honey, but just tasted like barbecue sauce.

It really is true that the key with paprika is more, WAY more, than you think is sane. For my goulash (made with Buddhist "mock duck") I must have used at least two tablespoons, and possibly three or four, for about four servings of food.

You're probably right about most paprika (I've never been brave enough to try that much) - but not the Spanish smoked stuff.

I absentmindedly added about a tablespoon to a pot of vaguely chilli-ish bean soup the other day and really disliked the over-smoked flavour. :sad:

clb

i4150.jpg

"House Special" Lo Mein Noodles with Char Siu (Roast Pork), Egg, Firm Pressed Tofu, Baby BokChoy, Scallions, Beansprouts and Carrots

NOTE: Its not delivery. I made it. Really.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mmmm. That looks great, Jason. I want! I miss noodles. Soon I will be visiting my best friend while my diabetic partner toils away at home, and I will be sure to eat many, many noodles. Also potatoes.

We had a nice big frittata with asparagus, shallots, and ricotta, accompanied by a big pile of gai-lan. It was a little bit like having asparagus with a side of asparagus, but hey, that's not such a hardship.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Monday dinner:

leftovers!

the rest of the pot roast that my husband made on Sunday ( I went out with a friend :biggrin: ) that included potatoes, carrots, celery and onions with a mustard-white wine sauce-- the whole thing was made in the outdoor dutch oven on the grill....

I had 3 days worth of leftover cold Japanese rice so I turned it into something like a cross between a pilaf and fried rice with tomatoes, okra, corn, paprika and seasoned with a healthy dose of Tabasco

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Monday

A melange:

Pizza of Mache, Goat Cheese and Gambas Al Ajillo(Garlic Shrimp with red pepper flakes) baked on a Sun Dried Tomato Lavash

Grilled Australian Rib Eye with JJ's Rub

Leftover Allu Gobi

Asparagus in butter and lemon

Combining Leftovers Vegetable Fried Rice(sounds like we had similar things, Kristin)

Chicken and Dumplings (American heartland style). Shaker salad.

We only have this about once every three years, so was a treat. The kids had forgotten what dumplings were.

It apparently spring next week, so we are in a rush to use up winter recipes before bbq/grill season.

monday: roasted chicken with rosemary, thyme, lemon, and garlic. roasted fingerlings, sweet potatoes, red onions, and baby vidalia onions. haricot verts, mixed greens. red wine pan sauce.

Seriously good looking chicken skin I must say.

monday: roasted chicken with rosemary, thyme, lemon, and garlic. roasted fingerlings, sweet potatoes, red onions, and baby vidalia onions. haricot verts, mixed greens. red wine pan sauce.

Yeah, nice job.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am broke as all hell due due to a quickie impulse purchase. The only problem is, the item in question was a new sofa.

Therefore, this week is the week of cheap, cheap eating. Unfortunately, I moved into this apartment only a month or so ago, so my pantry hasn't been built to normal stocking levels.

Dinner last night was some frozen halibut I had, roasted in big chunks with finely milled garlic, parsley, rosemary, salt/pepper. Onions in the roasting pan, oil-toasted breadcrumbs/rest of the herb stuff sprinkled over at table. Diced potatoes parboiled and then crisped in olive oil and more rosemary. Nothing green. The Safeway on 17th Street, visible from my apartment, taunts me.

I'm thinking there will be a lot of legumes and a lot of pasta until Friday.

Yeah, nice job.

I'll say! Great photography to capture it, as well.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night I made pan-roasted Moulard duck magret with truffled duck stock, duck leg “confit”, and organic mesclun salad with shallots, aged Sherry vinegar, walnut oil, horseradish, and apricot dressing.

Gorgeous!

Did you have the confit made well in advance or was it a "quick confit"?

Really nice photography as well. Made my mouth water!

Well, I didn't make the confit at all. It's the confit of Muscovy duck from Grimaud Farms of Sonoma, which they carry at all the Whole Foods stores. It tastes just, just, just like being in France. I don't think there's really a point to make your own with this product around, except for the fun of it (and I do like experimenting with confit, of course). But with other things in the meal to concentrate on, I'm happy to use Grimaud's confit. Even without other things to concentrate on I'm happy to have their confit. The breast however is the Moulard which sells under the D'Artagnan name right in my very supermarket, and which comes originally from Hudson Valley Foie Gras.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

It was supposed to be leftover chicken, shredded, and turned into enchiladas. Then my husband and I both came down with a severe pizza craving mid-afternoon.

Hers:

medium.jpg

His:

medium.jpg

Tonight, I'll be in school, and munching on apples and fruit & nut bars. But I'll be thinking about roasted chickens... :wub:

Yeah, nice job.

I'll say! Great photography to capture it, as well.

thanks for the compliments, guys. who knew that my little 2 MP camera could get such great shots?

so is it slightly sick that my wife and i try to come up with new dishes to cook just so we can take pictures of them? at least we recognize our problem ;)

Edited by pcarpen (log)

so is it slightly sick that my wife and i try to come up with new dishes to cook just so we can take pictures of them? at least we recognize our problem ;)

LOL... If it is sick, many of us have the fever.

I look at it as one aspect of the passion. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Too busy to even think about food

Tuesday night:

unagi kabayaki (grilled eel)--purchased product

tofu patties with 7 kinds of vegetables topped with ponzu--both purchased items

avocado slices drizzled with soy sauce

kabocha squash simmered with lemon (simmered it too long and it got a little mushy :sad: )

goma no ha miso (a paste of miso, sesame leaves and chiles that is meant to be eaten with ric)--purchased product

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Was planning on country ribs, on the bone braised in some chicken broth and white wine with Yukon golds and sliced crimini...both pooped and ordered Papa John's!... :biggrin:

Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."-Anon

Richard Olney's Simple French Food is one of my favorites. Tonight I tried one of his three zucchini gratins. Zucchini sliced very thin, rice, egg, milk, gruyere, olive oil, salt and pepper. 350 for an hour. Very nice. I would do it again.

Tuesday

Roast Lamb with cranberry mustard on the side

Buttered Brussel Sprouts

Honey Carrots

Curried Biryani with raisins, onions, peas and strips of red pepper

Cheese Blintzes served with whip cream and cherry preserves

Tomorrow St Patrick's Day-have my Irish in contemplation on the meal. Will be Irish with a hint of Chinese(Gotta throw some of that in).