• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Little burgers with Jack cheese, bacon and scallions stuffed inside to compensate for being cooked to medium-well, eaten on toasted buttered onion buns with arugula and lots of raw white onion. Oven sweet potato fries with chili flakes, garlic, rosemary and olive oil. I would have liked to try deep-frying them, but I live in a studio and didn't feel like going to sleep in a cloud of oil...short of purchasing a deep fryer, does anyone have ideas on good ideas for setting up a decent ventilation system? I do have a window in my kitchen, but no exhaust system to speak of.

Thin pumpernickel toasts with fresh wasabi mayonaisse, slived scallions, Pacific smoked salmon slices.

Demitasse of tomato bisque.

Then served together:

Barley risotto with quartered cremini.

Sauteed spinach.

Meat loaf (beef, pork, calf liver with minced scallions, garlic, and chiles, Dijon, egg, panko, grated parmesan and a chile and tomato glaze). Crusty and moist.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

A kind of cross-continent multi-ethnic deepfried gyouza (pork fried first and mixed with parsley, coriander, Chinese chives, before stuffing skins and deepfrying)

Soup with channa dal, young daikon and leaves, flavored with cumin and the sharp whey from some yogurt cheese.

Rice for the die-hards.

Well, my first dinner post.

Everything posted always sounds so good so I thought I'd give you a taste of what a university student eats. Basically always a one dish deal. It really varies every night depending on the schedule and what's on sale at P&A, my grocery store of choice in Montreal.

Tonight, huge mixed greens salad topped with avocado, toasted walnuts, chickpeas, shreds of parm with warm sherry vinegar dressing.

glass of amazingly cheap but good malbec/merlot

Lindt 85% dark chocolate to be followed by lots of tea

Wednesday

Turkey Lasagna

Garlic Bread

assorted melange of leftover vegetables

Thursday

Chicken shumai

Chicken Vegetable Masala Wrap(in a sundried tomato lavash)

Roast chicken cooked in jelly of wine and spice, mixed with onions, mushrooms, cilantro, garlic, spinach, kale, scallions and masala sauce. Then put in lavash wraps and baked with a little olive oil and garlic salt. Cut in half, plated and decorated with broccoli sprouts.

Baked beans

Strawberry Pie and ice cream

Edited by dumpling (log)

Thursday dinner:

two kinds of pizza from Costco. :biggrin:

but kris -

what was for dessert? :biggrin:

thursday - at work

leftover mac and cheese

buffalo burger

red kale cooked with onions and shallots in apple cider and cider vinegar

dessert - 5 hershey dark chocolate kisses

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thursday dinner:

two kinds of pizza from Costco. :biggrin:

but kris -

what was for dessert? :biggrin:

It was supposed to be Costco apple pie, but the kids all fell asleep, so I am saving it for tonight. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Well, my first dinner post.

Everything posted always sounds so good so I thought I'd give you a taste of what a university student eats. Basically always a one dish deal. It really varies every night depending on the schedule and what's on sale at P&A, my grocery store of choice in Montreal.

Tonight, huge mixed greens salad topped with avocado, toasted walnuts, chickpeas, shreds of parm with warm sherry vinegar dressing.

glass of amazingly cheap but good malbec/merlot

Lindt 85% dark chocolate to be followed by lots of tea

Hi, Larry! You don't sound like the typical starving college student... I think somebody with good taste raised you! It was good to hear from you on this thread. Please do post more about your dinners.

This morning before work I browned turkey drumsticks under the broiler, and then put them in the slow cooker, added garlic, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and maybe a half cup of white wine, and cooked them on low all day. I don't do a lot with the slow cooker, and this was one of the best slow cooked dinners we've had.

With the turkey we had spinach and baked potatoes. The potatoes were a new thing in the supermarket this week... I can't remember what they are called, but they are big red-skinned potatoes with nice "clean" skin, and are golden on the inside, by Green Giant. They're very tasty.

And, a La Crema Pinot Noir which was really good.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

When I was an undergraduate, I made all kinds of weird things -- no warm sherry vinegar dressings! I cooked for a small eating group and fed us all on something like $15 apiece per week (breakfast and dinner only). I think I did pretty well, considering, but with picky co-eaters and tight budget, I think I would have swooned at the feet of Larry's dinner!

Now that I am a grad student with a more-solvent spouse and no picky people to feed, the options are greater. Tonight I wanted to use some things up, so we had a humble vegetable stew with chewy wheat gluten, seasoned cheatingly and lazily (but tastily) with furikake, over barley. The barley was surprisingly terrific, made in the rice cooker on the brown rice cycle and enriched with some excellent organic miso. The miso is made by a company called "South River" and is I think the best I have ever had, for soup or any other use. It's a yellow miso made with brown rice, and everything is a little rough and rustic in the texture -- something a lot of people might not like (and which I was skeptical about, myself), but I find it very appealing.

Now I am having a Maker's Mark on the rocks and contemplating eating a couple of my remaining gingerbread hamentaschen. I might have coffee ice cream instead.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I am not a starving student, but sometimes feel like I must be in order to fit into the "in" jeans of the month, I know this is shallow but very true.

I do spend more on food than the average student because I was raised in a household where there was a huge empahsis on good quality, and travelling. Quality in = quality out, and I will trek all over Montreal and Ottawa to get the best ingredients.

I really do need to get the digital camera fixed or replace it. That said... there was nothing too visually stimulating. I had some odds and ends to use so dinner yesterday and today was scalloped potatoes with ham - made it with sauteed green onions mixed into a bechamell sauce that had a generous sprinkling of adobo and threw in some Asiago cheese that needed to be retired. Should have sliced the potatoes a bit thinner as they were a bit too toothy the first night but perfect tonight. My appetizer was cheddar flavored Chex snack mix (what can I say - I live alone and it's like that sometimes!).

This evening was the second day of the scalloped potatoes and ham. Wow - it rocked today - absolutely perfect! At the moment I have a chicken roasting to last me through the weekend (Friday night is date night and Polish food out is the plan). The chicken is rubbed with garlic oil, cavity seasoned with adobo and season salt, threw in a nice little pile of freshly crushed star anise and then put about 20 garlic cloves in the pan. I've done this one before without the star anise and it was very good. Mixed field greens with a chipoltle cheddar dressing was consumed while waiting for the chicken to cook. The dressing is brianna's - they make a bottle poppyseed dressing that's outstanding but IMHO the chipotle cheddar is too much.

speedy week-night supper for eating whilst lying on the sofa reading:

- cod loin, dredged in flour then fried in a little olive oil, served with a squeeze of lemon, lots of chopped fresh parsley + a sprinkling of drained tiny nonpareilles capers in sherry vinegar

- steamed green beans tossed in evoo, garlic and more parsley

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

following suit, my first post here too!

last night was salad (romaine, walnut, pear mostly with a little spinach), cypriot bread :wub: (well, fiddled with) feta and walnut instead of feta/olive & chicken thighs (just plain, cooked with garlic/lemon/olive oil)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

following suit, my first post here too!

last night was salad (romaine, walnut, pear mostly with a little spinach), cypriot bread  :wub:  (well, fiddled with) feta and walnut instead of feta/olive & chicken thighs (just plain, cooked with garlic/lemon/olive oil)

Sounds good, and WELCOME!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Mixed greens with crumbled goat cheese and warm maple balsamic sauteed mushrooms, side of roasted broccoli and zuchinni.

Bite of roomie's delicious take out cheese pizza.

Finished off the last of the malbec

stopped after work to pick up a bit of fish but my purveyors were out of flounder or sole(what i wanted). they did have the first of the shad roe but johnnybird won't eat that. picked up a piece of red snapper.

went home to have a date with the husband and then make dinner. unfortunately he was being mr. electrician and didn't finish till about 6 pm(i got home at 320). finally he gave up trying to make the light in the kitchen work and just flipped the breakers so we could have heat and light in the rest of the house. luckily the stove, microwave and fridge worked. :blink:

since dinner was so late(7pm) i didn't feel like eating much. :angry: made red snapper baked with white pepper, kosher salt and thyme. microwaved sweet potatoes and finished with white pepper,kosher salt, soy margarine and tipple of grade b maple syrup. yellow beans were done on the stovetop with water(to steam), some spanish olive oil to finish, white sesame seeds, kosher salt and white pepper. john has leftover fish and sweet potatoes. i ate beans and sweets.

unfortunately i was out of molasses so the ginger cake will have to wait till monday when i plan on doing the piece of beef i'm corning a la fifi. why not on wednesday - i'm freaking orange - it's me husband's da's family that is green. :angry:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Demitasse of fish broth (made from thinnish catfish pieces left from preparing thick slabs) with lemongrass and chile oil.

Buttery spinach and rice wrapped in crispy chicken skin (panko and cornmeal) packages, tied with scallion greens.

Pulled chicken thigh meat with baby white potatoes in buttermilk sauce with rosemary oil.

Fried rounds (about four inches wide and five high) of polenta set on onion relish, topped with smoked caccacavalo and a thick piece of double-smoked bacon.

Thick slabs of seared catfish on a salad of mustard greens with a Dijon white wine sauce.

edit:

I forgot to mention that there were a few black beans and pieces of tomato concasse scattered in each pool of rosemary oil.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I don't know why it never occurred to me to look at this thread until now, or why it never quite occurred to me that it would turn out to be about... well, exactly what it sounds like. (Sometimes, Anna, a banana is just a banana.) I also don't know why it didn't occur to me to photograph the other night's special late supper - that's the last time I let that happen. Until the next time I forget, at any rate. It wasn't dinner because we were both running around until late and getting distracted (this happens all too often), and had each grabbed something forgettable somewhere along the line (this too happens all too often). So it wasn't until about 10:30 or so that we feasted on blinchiki a la mode de chez nous, which is to say accompanied by beef bouillon, and filled with the beef which at an earlier stage of the process was a by-product thereof. This made up for the tantalizing smells of stock in the making, which smells had so filled the house earlier in the week that it was all I could do to avoid just plunging face-first in to the pot. And it was (by my peculiar standards anyway) a most decadent way to end an evening. Well... almost end an evening.

My only regret is running out of sour cream....