• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Indian-style dish with peas, potatoes, tofu and diced tomatoes. Spiced it up with sauteed onion, garlic, and cumin seeds, plus ground cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper, and a lot of garam masala. (I may have overdone the spices a tad.) I have plenty of leftovers, and I felt it nicely balanced out the chips 'n beer I had while watching the Super Bowl.

Crab salad with frisee, celery root remoulade, and apple gelee - from a Boulud recipe available on his website. Next time: more remoulade, please.

Roast Muscovy duck, rubbed under the skin (much more difficult than with a chicken) with a puree of creminis, pancetta, thyme and butter. Spritzed inside and out with citrus yielded a really crispy skin.

Racks of lamb, mint dipping sauce, tahini dipping sauce.

Roasties (Yukon Gold in duck fat and butter) with remoulade.

Turnip pickles.

Braised oyster and white mushrooms with chickpeas and onion, smoked paprika and zataar and metthi on fresh pita chips.

Slaw of green and Savoy cabbages with shaved (on mandoline) red and green bell peppers, cubanelle and poblano, slivered scallions with lime vinaigrette.

Tomato soup with whole baby beets and creme fraiche.

edit:

Liza, just noticed your remoulade. Heh. :smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Monday night:

wild mushroom risotto with romano cheese using a nice mix of shiitake, shimeji, enoki, and a new mushroom to Japan that they call elinki (they say it is from Italy but I am not sure of the real name, a truely delicious mushroom)

potato and avocado salad tossed with kaiware (daikon sprouts) and lemon juice and olive oil

tuna tartare (tabasco, salt, EVOO) served on thinly sliced toasted baguettes

chocolate cake with chocolate frosting

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Torakris, elinki eh? Please describe.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Right. Pleurotus eryngii (Also known as King Oyster, Eryngii, King Trumpet, Pleorote du Panicaut, Argonane, Bouligoule, Champignon de Garrigue, Cardoncello, Cardarello).

I don't find them that good. I was hoping for a porcini kind of intensity but they taste more or less like oyster mushrooms but at almost porcini prices.

Right. Pleurotus eryngii (Also known as King Oyster, Eryngii, King Trumpet, Pleorote du Panicaut, Argonane, Bouligoule, Champignon de Garrigue, Cardoncello, Cardarello).

I don't find them that good. I was hoping for a porcini kind of intensity but they taste more or less like oyster mushrooms but at almost porcini prices.

Those are them!

They are actually quite cheap here.

I really like the meaty texture and the fact that you can use the entire mushroom with no waste.

I have never had oyster mushrooms so can't compare, but i enjoy their mild flavor especially in contrast to the shiitake.

However because of their slightly bland flavor I rarely use them alone rather in combination with other mushrooms.

I do like them sauteed with bacon though! :biggrin:

Chickpeas curry-style, with garam masala from the Indian market, tomatoes and carrots

Basmati rice

Leftover stir-fried broccoli

I wanted to do a platter of condiments with the chickpeas but ran out of time. :sad:

Friday chickened out on the carnitas (scale-induced horror) and made a roasted squash galette with onion and sage. Salad. Saturday had beef carbonnade, Sunday Super-Bowl-related gorging (frozen mozzarella sticks, catered BBQ ribs, sausage, etc.) Woke up with turrible heartburn.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Dai gai choy soup with udon noodles.

Shanghai noodles with a shoyu and lemongrass sauce with coriander.

Roasted red, green, and cubanelle peppers with hoi sin.

Pillow tofu and Chinese "chicken feather" mushrooms roasted in chile sauce.

Stir-fried Shanghai bok choy with red fermented tofu.

Coupla late-evening pizzas, one with broccoli sauteed with anchovy with caramelized garlic in there, on a thin foundation of whole-milk ricotta, with Pecorino Romano and whole-milk mozzarella. Judicious amounts of all these things. Also a riff on Wolfgang Puck's self-styled "Jewish pizza," a good application for the little bit of smoked salmon that's been kicking around, also serendipitously I happened to have a purple onion, AND creme fraiche. Nice salad from the earnest young thing at the farmer's market dressed with that Austrian pumpkin-seed oil that is so roasty good and a drop or three of aged Balsamic. Inexpensive Australian Merlot brought by an attendant friend which was pretty good, turned out.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Super Bowl Dinner:

-Chilli: with roasted Poblano's and Red Bell Pepper, Chipotle, Ancho.

-Spinach and Mushroom Enchiladas in a creamy tomato sauce.

Last night:

-Roast Chicken: with rosmary butter rubbed under the skin and all over. Made Jus from the drippings and some leftover champagne.

-White rice

-green salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette.

-Chocolate Souffle for dessert

FM

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tried Jinmyo's chipotle shredded chicken with mushrooms (Dinner thread, p.75).

I used the organic leg quarters: the air-drying really made a difference: i've never had such a crispy skin before, although i was confused what to do with it after shredding the chicken ( we ended up snacking on it). The mushrooms were butter slow-roasted shiitakes, creminis and oysters.

I wasn't feeling very good last night felt like I was coming down with a touch of a cold, so made up one of those 15 minute dinners:

Thai curry with tofu, bamboo shoots, and snap peas witha handful of kaffir lime leaves thrown in

avocado, chunked and tossed with lime juice, EVOO, salt and white pepper

shrimp shumai (frozen and heated in the microwave)

leftover chocolate cake

Between last night and tonight, I broke one of my cardinal rules: repeated a major component. In this case, (rehydrated) dried porcini and regular mushrooms plus their soaking liquids, and pasta. :shock:

Last night: cheese tortellini (bought) with mushroom sauce and peas, salad, and Standing Stone Pinnacle red wine.

Tonight: chicken cacciatore with cavatappi, salad, Schneider Chardonnay.

He Who Only Eats (aka He Who LOVES Mushrooms) was gracious enough to forgive me. :wink:

Hope you feel better, Kristin.

My kids' favorite fast food (many commitments this evening):

Bow tie pasta slathered with a sinful amount of butter and romano

Steamed green beans with lemon and kosher salt

Burnt sugar cupcakes

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I had six delicious chocolates (flavours included burnt orange caramel, salt caramel and ginger fig honey caramel) handmade by someone over at Fine Cooking's Cook's Talk. Then, I made chicken stock and a couple of loaves of bread (white bread from Baking with Julia but used 50% white whole wheat flour). I had the bread for lunch and breakfast today and I'll use some of the stock for tonight's dinner.

Last night was very Japanese:

broiled miso marinated cod

bamboo (fresh) and hijiki stirfry

miso soup with tofu, wakame, and scallions

napa cabbage kimchi (okay, not exactly Japanese)

Japanese rice with gomashio a la Jin (I had never made gomashio before, now I will never buy it again!)

toasted nori sheets

dessert was

chocolate espresso cake (Donna Hay's Flavours book)

raspberry almond bars (forget the exact name , from the Fine Cooking Holiday baking issue)