• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Chicken Breasts stuffed with blue cheese

-seared in the cast iron

-dalop of shallot-blue cheese butter

- finish in oven

Rosemary Potato Slices

-Thin slices of potato (I need a mandoline)

-Tossed with EVOO, fresh rosemary, pepper

-Cook until they blister in hot pan

-Salt

Later on, I made some pizza for some guests. Pesto and sun-dried tomato for one and then peanut sauce, basil, and sliced chicken on the other.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Akiko

I got the recipe from epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=106582

the only thing I changed was real mayo for the reduced fat crap and yogurt for the reduced fat sour cream (just cause I had yogurt and no sour cream), I also added more lemon zest than called for.

Last night's dinner:

a version of murgh musallam from Madhur Jaffrey, essentially a whole roast chicken marinated in yogurt and spices, then rubbbed with a puree of ginger, garlic, onions, almonds, and more spices, wrapped in foil and baked.

The taste was incredible, but i have a hard time with whole chickens. I think I might try the recipe again bit with boneless thighs instead.

braise of cauliflower, okra, and tomatoes with cumin seeds, mustard seeds and other spices

simple salad of mixed greens with my best EVOO and best balsamic vinegar

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Very nice, Helena.

Looks like a poblano. Not that hot, but delicious.

What kind of mushrooms and bacon?

I'd really like this with a mound of pulled pork shoulder. But I'll take what I can get from looking at your lovely picture.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I had one of my simplest but most comforting comfort foods:

One great big white fluffy oven-baked Idaho potato with Plugra and sour cream, s&p and topped with steamed, chopped,squeezed out spinach mixed with a small amount of heavy cream, s&p; chopped scallion garnish.

Not really pretty

Not very esoteric

tremendously satisfying

Looks like a poblano. Not that hot, but delicious.

What kind of mushrooms and bacon?

Jinmyo, you're right, as always.

It's a poblano, and it's not hot, so the oil was not hot as well. Actually, the chilliness of the oil appeared only the next day, though the pepper itself was quite delicious.

Mushrooms were roasted ordinary white mushrooms. And bacon was a canadian one.

The cheese was smoked mozzarella and american muenster.

Actually the picture shows os from last Saturday; i was not that satisfied with results as smoked mozzarella was too overwhelming, and canadian bacon succeeded to dry out due to hour and a half in the oven.

So today i changed the approach: no mushrooms, no mozzarella, muenster all the way, a bit more of cream, and mortadella instead of bacon.

the result was a definite improvement on the previous trial. Sounds like a dish i continue to experiment with, as it's especially good for these cold days: my daughter and husband (i helped them a small bit) succeeded to polish the whole thing in one set.

One of Each Soup: 1 big potato peeled/chopped, 1 onion chopped, 1 celery heart chopped, 1 Granny Smith apple peeled/chopped, 1 banana chopped, 1 can chicken juice, 1 c. heavy cream, 1 Tbsp sweet butter, 1 big tsp curry powder, 1 tsp salt, chopped chives. Simmer veg & fruits in chicken juice, covered, til tender, stir in dairys and curry and salt and heat just until it is hot. Puree. Eat with chives. In summer I like this cold wth the chive flowers. Boy puts potato chips on top of his for some reason. Ate up rest of homemade bread with mine. Remainder of Jack Daniels for dessert. Now no chips, no whiskey, no bread left. :angry:

Tomorrow is bar night and boy is bartending, won't be cooking, will eat usual Thurs. night dinner of pickles and olives and weird tasteless jalapeno peppers straight out of Bloody Marys made with Stoli, Jagermeister, and Guinness Stout. My stomach is straight-up iron.

Friday night will have delicious dinner of Jaymes carnitas and fried salsa (from the carnitas thread, I can not wait Jaymes, thank you so much), then start on beef carbonnade for father's BD Sat., since my folks split up 10+ yrs ago my father requests it every year for his BD. And I am happy to oblige.

Noise is music. All else is food.

One of Each Soup:  1 big potato peeled/chopped, 1 onion chopped, 1 celery heart chopped, 1 Granny Smith apple peeled/chopped, 1 banana chopped, 1 can chicken juice, 1 c. heavy cream, 1 Tbsp sweet butter, 1 big tsp curry powder, 1 tsp salt, chopped chives.  Simmer veg & fruits in chicken juice, covered, til tender, stir in dairys and curry and salt and heat just until it is hot.  Puree.  Eat with chives.  In summer I like this cold wth the chive flowers.

I am most intrigued by this soup. Does it have a name, or is "One of Each" the name of it?

It kind of reminds me of a Sengalese chicken soup I make with cream and curry, although the Sengalese soup also has some coconut in it - either coconut milk, or you can garnish with some coconut, or scald cream with coconut and drain, or something...

What does this taste like? Is it equally good hot or cold???

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

What does this taste like? Is it equally good hot or cold???

It just tastes v. good. Let me try to think of a metaphor . . . it's too late at night. :wacko: It's just sweet enough (for me), I don't usually like to eat soups that have fruit in them. I think it is equally good hot as cold, I usually don't like to eat cold soup either. I can't say if letting it set in the fridge overnight makes it better, it never lasts that long. It always gets eaten, cold, during the wee hours. With potato chips, or without . . .

Does it have a name, or is "One of Each" the name of it?

I think my aunt told me about it originally, I don't know where she got it from, but my young cousin calls it "One Soup." It's got to be good if it can get that kid to eat curry powder. Usually all he will eat is salt.

Have used parsnips instead of potato (OK, but added a little more onion to balance it, therefore not true to the "One" theme) and fennel instead of celery (bad idea all around).

Noise is music. All else is food.

Roasted plum tomatoes filled with soft poached quail eggs. (Pick them up with your hands.)

Potage of Yukon Gold potatoes and leeks (pureed and passed through many strainings until it was smooth and a light green) with garlic-rubbed croutons, double-smoked slab bacon pieces, and porcini oil.

Shattered chicken (roasted with a chipotle marinade, pulled from the bones) mixed with wild mushrooms (reconstituted dried porcini, morels, huagu, lobster, honey, black trumpet mushrooms).

Roasted shaved (mandolin) fennel with chevre and toasted crushed fennel seeds.

Tuiles with tuna tartare, dollop of creme fraiche, few jewels of salmon roe, lemon zest.

Petit pain with St Paulin and Cheshire cheeses.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Helena, thank you. I puree chipotle and adobo with roasted garlic. Butcher the chicken, pat dry, air dry, rub with the mixture and salt and pepper, let sit for about two hours, roast at 450 F for about twenty minutes, turn for ten minutes, 350 F for about twenty minutes. Cool enough to the touch, tear from bones, mix with wild mushrooms that have been cooking in butter.

Had a friend round for dinner last night, so essentially did a quick & easy dinner party:

-Butternut squash soup with smoked paprika & a swirl of double cream

-Duck breast (prepared a la Lesley C's superb suggestion on the Duck Breast thread) on baby salad leaves dressed with a kumquat vinaigrette

-Vanilla ice-cream with prunes soaked in armegnac

The preparation was immensely eased by the fact that the kumquat vinaigrette was hanging around from a batch I made last week

Edited by Miss J (log)

Simmer hunk of gammon (preferably a big bit on bone) in water for close to 3 hours.

Flavour cooking liquid to taste - I generally stick a chopped up onion, a few peppercorns and cloves in.

(I think the recent peppery discussions should exempt peppercorns in a bouillon - but not sure).

Remove gammon - let it relax.

Cook pre-soaked split peas in cooking liquor (enough to cover) - they're cooked in about 40 minutes but if you cook for an hour plus they break up and the gammony flavour from the reduced liquor intensifies. Basically you have porky dal.

To turn it into pease pudding let it cool a bit and solidify then one can boil in pudding cloth, bake in oven, or probably let it cool and treat like polenta.

Obviously one can stick in some butter for richness, or spike it up with some pepper or a bit of lemon zest.

But basically I'm looking for an unctuously porky heaven - aren't we all.

Edited by Gavin Jones (log)

Wilma squawks no more

One-stop shopping indicated ... resulted in a self-styled saltimbocca with chicken, and Serrano ham, and Swiss cheese (sage from the garden). Surprisingly nice Blue Lake green beans, blanched, shocked comma-all-caps SHOCKED, briefly sauteed with Lurpak & garlic together again, copious s & p. Frenchy-French baguette from the Vietnamese baker. And a cheap not-bad Portuguese red wine.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

- Blood Orange cosmopolitan as an apperitif

- Sauteed fresh green beans with garlic and EVOO served with a blood orange vinaigrette

- Brined thick bone-in pork chops (brine made with salt, water, molasses, garlic, juniper and peppercorns). The chopes were grilled on the stove top on a cast iron gridlle pan until they got that pretty cross hatch pattern, then finished in the oven. Very moist and delicious.

-Potato salad , made with nice yukons, chives, celery heart & leaves. The salad was dressed with sour cream dressing (sour cream, evoo, s&p, lime juice).

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Gyozilla:

Dried scallop, shitake, and chive gyoza.

Shrimp gyoza.

Pork and chive gyoza.

Chicken liver gyoza.

Steak and kidney gyoza.

Dai gai choy and garlic gyoza.

Showered with slivered scallions and ginger.

Dipping sauces: shoyu with dashi and mirin; ngoc mam with sherry vinegar; ponzu (shoyu and yuzu juice)

Daikon kimchee, cabbage kimchee.

Just lots and lots and lots of gyoza.

Last night I had this uncontrollable urge to eat Mushu Pork so made up a nice rendition with:

pork

eggs

dried shiitake

dried wood ear

chinese cabbage

scallions

I tried it with out the hoison, but ended up slathering it on after the first couple bites.

To my American taste buds it didn't taste like Mushu with out it.

also had a carrot salad Thai style with lime juice, nampla and sugar

for dessert I made a wonderful cake from the Fine Cooking Holiday baking issue, sort of a mix of a vanilla cheesecake and a chocolate flourless cake.

Jinmyo,

If you're comfortable and have the time, could you provide a basic gyoza shell recipe?

Many thanks,

Liza

Gee, Liza. Dough is so boring. I rarely make it myself but have someone else do it. Or just use wrappers.

But, basically: You want a dough that's soft so about 4 parts water to 3 parts all-purpose flour. Knead it together, yada yada. Let rest covered with a damp towel for thirty minutes or so. Roll it out thinly yada yada yada.

The most interesting thing is crimping the edges.

Roast chicken with citrus, garlic and cumin. Romaine & radicchio with mustard/shallot vinaigrette. Fougasse from my recent bread-baking adventure, defrosted and crisped on a baking stone.

Nothing special, but I had a kitchen epiphany. Browning a whole chicken before roasting has always intimidated me a bit - the breast skin sticks, I brown too much or not enough - but this one was perfect, and the technique finally clicked into place for me.

Don't you love it when that happens? :smile:

last night was a Thai inspired meal:

boneless chicken thighs marinated with oyster sauce, nampla, lemon grass, lemon juice, and honey broiled then sliced and placed on a bed of mizuna and surronded with slivers of avocado (tossed with lime juice and salt) and mounds of a grated carrot salad (tossed with lim, nampla, sugar, chili sauce)

a plate of grilled (in a griddle pan) kabocha and asparagus, tossed with salt, white pepper, oil before grilling and then tossed with soy sauce and lime juice after

Japanese rice

cake leftover from yesterday