• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Grilled boned chicken legs that were marinated overnight with olive oil, lemon juice, crushed scallions, and masses of fresh thyme.

Grilled artichoke hearts

Summer squash sauteed with tomato and marjoram

Creamy lemon dressing

Edited by mags (log)

i326.jpg

Thai/Vietnamese Beef Salad with cellophane noodles, made with yesterday's leftover sliced strip steak. Yum.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Lobster Bisque with shrimp(made with leftover lobster shells from the other day's lobster feast)

(recipe courtesy alanz)

Carrot, celery and shallot ratatouille

Spinach and baby bok choy sauteed in garlic, soy and sherry

Basa Fillet en papillotte with ginger, soy, lime juice and chives

Toasted Almond Rice Pilaf

Apple Tarte Tatin with Vanilla Bean ice cream

Edited by dumpling (log)

Baked chicken thighs with cilantro pesto under the skin

Sliced chayote baked with creme fraiche

Mashed green plantains, moistened with the juices from the chicken

Salad of watercress, radicchio, Boston, romaine, cucumber, and avocado, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Paumanok Chenin Blanc

Hot damn that is some expertly cooked steak!  Did it taste as great as it looks?

Could you give a quick overview of the method you used to cook it so perfectly, Rachel?

They were New York Strip Steaks from Stew Leonards, about 6 inches long by 1.5 inches high, by 2.5 inches wide, 1-1.5 lbs each). I seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil. Then seared them on a very hot cast iron griddle for 1 minute per side (on the 4 long sides). Then into a 400 F oven, with a probe thermometer (set for 130) stuck in the largest piece. Removed from oven when the timer went off and allowed to rest for 10 minutes before slicing (do not remove the probe thermometer until the steaks are rested). Three of us ate the two smaller steaks the first night. The larger steak was used for an asian beef salad the following night (recipe adapted from Hot Sour Salty Sweet by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid).

Tuesday dinner:

Spent the day putting away summer clothes and pulling out the winter stuff and thus was too tired to think about dinner:

cream (white) stew with salmon, onions, potatoes, kabocha, and spinach

served over Japanese rice and 5 grain mixture

dessert:

Calpis flavored ice cream cones

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Saturday

Breakfast: fried Shanghai noodles with gailan, scallions and strips of red bell pepper; scrambled eggs

Lunch: a mixed grain of Chinese white rice and Lundberg brown rice topped with braised daikon; seaweed soup with silken tofu; kimchi

Supper: Thai rice tossed with fresh, finely chopped Chinese celery; ginger soup with peppers and mushrooms; tofu noodle salad

Sunday

Breakfast: fried rice

Lunch: gohan (Japanese white rice) topped with gomasio; miso shiru with Shanghai bok choy, shitaki mushrooms and silken tofu; takuan (pickled daikon) and gari (pickled ginger)

Supper: mashed sweet potatoes mixed with corn, sautéed onions, cubanelle and red bell peppers seasoned with chipotle and cumin; black bean soup; sautéed cremini mushrooms with yam tips

Monday

Breakfast: congee with scrambled eggs

Lunch: Chinese white rice; seaweed soup with silken tofu; Napa cabbage kimchi

Supper: gohan with meinjin and mushrooms; sautéed Chinese greens; Chinese long beans seared and garnished with gomassio

Tuesday

Breakfast: congee with five-spice cotton tofu and mixed Chinese greens.

Lunch: gohan (Japanese white rice) topped with gomasio; miso shiru with Shanghai bok choy, shitaki mushrooms and silken tofu; takuan (pickled daikon) and gari (pickled ginger)

Supper: roasted potatoes, rutabaga and carrots; onion soup; meinjin “sage stuffing”

Wednesday

Breakfast: fried rice

Lunch: Chinese rice; seaweed soup with silken tofu; kimchi

Supper: farfalle pasta with gailan (Chinese broccoli) in a garlic-butter sauce; kabocha squash soup with chickpeas; artichoke hearts and small boccancini with fresh basil and parsley.

Thursday

Breakfast: mushroom congee

Supper: Lundberg short grain brown rice mixed with Chinese rice and fresh soybeans; gailan, mushroom and lobak soup; tofu noodle salad.

Friday

Breakfast: fried rice with scrambled eggs

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Tonight was fried flounder and chana masala.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tuesday night:

Killer tomato salad.

"Galician" cod filets. Baked atop potato slices that had been sauteed with onion, garlic and paprika.

And asparagus, with... lemon butter sauce.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Tuesday's dinner just before running out the door to visit my dad, who's had surgery recently:

Cheeseburgers, on baguette, with Fourme d'Ambert, caramelized onions, and a touch of A-1 (Is A-1 a gastrique? :laugh: ).

Steamed broccoli, per Emma's request.

We're out of wine :angry: so water with dinner.

On a different topic, I reheated my dad's dinner last night that a neighbor had brought: Shake & Bake chicken, Rice-A-Roni, and corn. Bleah! I'm definitely doing some cooking for him this afternoon.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I don't think A-1 is a gastrique, but it's been a long long time since I sampled it.

Last night: vegetarian taco salads, with a tasty pinto bean-tomato mix and plenty of veggies. Some cut-up pineapple for dessert. I'm still doing penance for last weekend's meat blitz. :rolleyes:

Last night we had what I consider one of my best chicken dishes ever, Lebanese Lemon and garlic chicken. Basically it is a cut up chicken seared skin down in an oven safe pan, then the pan is deglazed with some white wine and lots of whole garlic cloves are added plus lemon juice. I put the chicken bakc in the pan and top the pieces with thin lemon slices, cover the pan and cook in a 375 oven. The sauce in the pan is simply amazing.

Served with white rice and a green salad.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Going to do one of those half-in half-out-of-the-oven chicken dishes, right quick here. Sounds good, FoodMan.

Last evening, lovely pale bockwursts from the German sausage maker.

The Duesseldorf-style mustard that comes in the handy reusable glass beer mug. (I just gave more than a dozen to a neighbor who likes to serve from a keg -- how many of these over the years we've amassed and passed along. I guess it's here we go again.)

Boiled potatoes, peeled after boiling, melted butter over.

What the sausage folks call their cooked sauerkraut, deep gold in color, bits of smoked this & that throughout.

Excellent pickles.

Rye bread with no nothin' in it ain't supposed to be there, and very fresh too.

Saltylicious Tillamook butter.

Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Dry Riesling, really surprisingly good, way exceeded mere suitability. Suitableness.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Feeling a bit under the weather, so a less then 30 minute dinner:

risi e bisi (rice and green peas) the recipe I like form Nigella Lawson is not quite a soup, not quite risotto (wasn't that a Brittany sp? Spears song?) :biggrin:

roasted potatoes and sweet potaoes

sauteed mackeral with a basalmic sauce and topped with mizuna

everyone was asleep before 9! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Linguine with garlic, evoo, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, red bell pepper, and shrimp

A big tossed salad

Pineapple for dessert.

Butter lettuce, satsuma, toasted pecan and avacoado salad

Grilled Redfish (it's that time of year here in South La.)

Baked Sweet Potato

Pecan and red onion risotto

As I write this the Cubs are down by three in the eighth. AUUUGGGHHHH

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...