• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-fat half-and-half: Oxymoron?

rotuts

pls dont scoff at the topic.

from time to time I try to make a favorite dish of mine "as good or better" with the goal of reducing Fat.

Ive done OK from time to time.

I love Mashed Potatoes either Russets with the skin on or Bliss also with the skin on. the technique varies as I dont want the Bliss to get gummy Lots and Lots of Butter! a little Fresh grnd nutmeg etc hot non-fat milk ( they only kind I keep around )

I follow America's Test Kitchen and do get some good ideas. Ive looked at their pub. Cook's Country and they have a lower fat version of MP's

they use non-fat 1/2 & 1/2. Ive heard of this but have not paid attention to it.

has anyone used it? if so what did you think.

cheers?

Fat free half and half is a dairy product that mixes up skim milk with other ingredients including corn syrup solids as a thickener. There are typically other stabilizers as well. The product is meant to be a cholesterol and fat free alternative to conventional half and half.

The top five ingredients are:

nonfat milk

milk

corn syrup solids

Artificial color

Sugar

I have read some creepy tales about it clumping and whatnot, but probably it's personal preference. I would not use it because of the added sugar and whatnot.

I just use whole milk now instead...works fine and there's no corn syrup or carageenan. If you want to make low fat creamy potatoes, try out a bit of cream cheese.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

The back of the Swanson's Chicken Broth box (I know, I know) has a recipe for low-fat mashed potatoes. It is usually on the boxes that are out around the holidays. I can't remember exactly how the recipe goes, but it isn't bad. Try their website: www.swansonbroth.com for more information.

thanks for the tips.

I do not keep cream around as I use it rarely.

I love Pasta with just a hint of creamy-ness but also reduced wine etc. Heavy Whipping cream does not curdle with wine. but I wasnt going to get a 1/2 pint and through most of it away.

I got the *** bright *** idea of getting cream cheese using just a little bit and mashing it with water, keeping the butter fat high enough so the wine would not curdle the ""cream"""

works fine. I freeze the rest of the CC for the future.

Ill give that a try. but my MP's are not for fat challenged!

thanks!

Im not a fan of "Corn Products" even ethanol in my gas tank. other ethanol from Grapes good!

Fat free 1/2 & 1/2 is in an abomination and should be banned from all kitchens that cook for people who actually enjoy eating.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I picked it up by accident the other day - forgot my glasses. Used it in a pasta sauce and yes - it clumped. I have used it before when I intentionally bought it to make iced coffee and it did not clump. Perhaps it clumps with acidity?

this is pretty much as I though.

Cook's Country mag. (as a business item --- might be designed for those who never go to the Country,)

I will try to work on my Cream Cheeeezze item

many thanks !

I've developed some weird preferences with respect to potatoes and butter/cream. For mashed potatoes, it has to be butter and cream. For baked potatoes, I prefer putting equal parts I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (formerly Parkay until they changed their formula) and sour cream into a ziplock bag with some salt and chives. I'll mix that and leave it in the fridge for the flavors to marry. Then I cut off a corner of the bag and insert a pastry tip and pipe it into the opened baked spuds.

I don't have a good explanation for the difference other than texture. If you're going for creamy, anything short of cream is going to be, well, less creamy. So perhaps there's a kernel of wisdom in there somewhere. Play to the ingredlents you want to use rather than trying to replicate the results of the ones you're trying to avoid.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

Much wisdom here.

I make my own yogurt. delisious with berries in the AM

but its tart-ness I cant imagine with the MP

maybe 'Greek' yog?

Ill work on this.

if it come from a "Factory to the Store: they just want your money".

I have found that 2% greek yogurt (I like Fage) is a pretty good sub for sour cream and even for some of the half and half called for in a recipe . Sometimes I sub it for half of whatever fatty stuff is called for. It works mixed with mayo in a creamy potato salad. I have also used it in combo with a bit of regular half and half in mashed potatoes. I don't see how using cream cheese would cut down on the fat content.

But recently I made an interesting discovery. If you treat celeriac (celery root) like potatoes, and then use about 3:1 potatoes to celery root you need far less butter or cream to make it taste creamy; and here's where a little Fage can help too. The celery root gives the mashed potatoes a silky quality and a little extra flavor. I also find that yukon golds rather than russets tend to make for a creamier less dense dish, and therefore need less dairy and less fat.