• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic chocolate, which do you like best?

pastrygirl

I'm looking for the best organic chocolate for industrial (restaurant, wholesale chocolates) use.

I recently got some samples of TCHO chocolate, some of it organic, produced in San Francisco. I initially liked the flavors of the samples, then ordered 25# of the organic 66% and am not sure I'm liking it so much, in flavor or fluidity. It is thick and very cocoa-y.

Another supplier carries an organic Callebaut 70% but won't break case and I'm reluctant to buy 55# without sampling. Has anyone used the Callebaut?

Locally we have Theo, an organic, fair trade bean-to-bar manufacturer which is great eating chocolate, but they don't use the usual distributors (except I think you can get nibs) and I've heard negative comments about buying wholesale from them from a friend in the ice cream business.

I suppose Felchlin Cru Sauvage should be organic by default, if it is harvested from wild trees in the Amazon. I bought a few bags and I'm pretty sure I like it better than the TCHO, but haven't tried tempering it yet.

What other organic chocolates are available wholesale, and which do you prefer?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Green & Black's sells "Dark 70% Organic Couverture in convenient 5kg re-sealable bags of pistoles." More info here. Their 3.5 ounce bars are readily available here in GR at retail. I think they're pretty good, but as you know, it's an individual taste thing. Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Green & Black's sells "Dark 70% Organic Couverture in convenient 5kg re-sealable bags of pistoles." More info here. Their 3.5 ounce bars are readily available here in GR at retail. I think they're pretty good, but as you know, it's an individual taste thing.

I like Green & Black's 70% also.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Been using Camino's, nice stuff, might make a big change in the nest year or so, but don't know just now if I'm ready for it.

Green & Black is very popular in the supermarkets here,especially the 100 gr bars, tried some, and it's not bad, not bad at all.

However....

I am highly suspicous of WHYthere is milk powder in their dark bars, this shouldn't be. EU laws are very specific on anything labeled as "chocolate" cannot contain any dairy products. Anything that does, must be labled as "milk chocolate". Let Hershey's dump all the milkpowder they want to in their "special dark" chocolate, there's no reason why G & B is should follow suit and cater to this monstrosity.

I didn't like the coco camino labelled bars - but I did get some really nice organic couverature from them which was produced in Germany I believe. Good flavour and nice to work with.

I've got a few cases of the Callebaut organic if you want to try some. Just PM me.

• 1 year later...

Hi Kerry,

I know this post is a year old, but I thought you might be able to help. You mentioned that you had some Organic Callebaut. Can you tell me about that producr. I looked on Callebaut's website and could not find any info on organic chocolate. I know it's out there, so I am a bit confused. My options are a bit limited up here in AK, but a local wholesaler here is willing to special order anything from Callebaut. I just need to figure out what to tell them to order:) Thanks!

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Also, sorry about adding to an old thread like this, but Kallari of Ecuador's full line is organic wildcrafted Arriba gran cru. I'm not sure if they wholesale (they ought to), but I can ask them if you're interested. It's probably the best organic chocolate I've ever eaten, and that's saying quite a lot.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I'll start emailing around, then. I'm friends with some of the growers, so it shouldn't be too hard to make contact with somebody who knows....

The one thing is that Kallari only does dark. If memory serves, their main line is 70%, 75% and 80% and the subsidiary luxury line (Sacha) is between 70% and 85% with additional organic vanilla. Is there any particular strength you're interested in, tiki?

I'll get prices on the full line of standards then. I suspect that the luxury line is handcrafted in small batches, so that would be bars only (I'll verify this, of course; the Sacha bars I've eaten have been excellent, but I understand that the process used is more artesanal than that of the standard line.)

If you're interested in trying some to begin with (eat before you leap, so to speak), I can ship you a bar of each. PM me.

ETA - just checked my email, apparently at least the main line is also available in bar form at Whole Foods accross the US.... Good for them!

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Aha! I was searching the US site and the link you sent me was for Canada. I knew it was out there and didn't think about that as a reason why it was not coming up. I think the wholesaler can still get it regardless. Thanks Kerry!

Panaderia Canadiense-Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is shipping costs are always crazy to Alaska. My local wholesaler is a client of Callebaut so I can get any item for no extra charge and no shipping. That is why I was inquiring about Callebaut specifically.

Jenny

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com