• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Scale Recommendations, 2011–

May10April

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@&roid  and @blue_dolphin

Boooo !  Boooooo!

enablers !

my scale is working well.  $ 19.95  BB&B   

with the obligatory 20 % off coupon  $ 16 or so.

this one is talking to me ....

Mine arrives tomorrow!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy

\

fantastic.   

Ill await your review , w possibly a few pics .

their was a video on Amazon , someone taking it out of the box , 

showing it working.

it must have been used a while ( fine )  but it wasn't ' buffed ' up

this sort if item has its standards.

my plastic does get taken care off .

its one level below an item that asks for buffing , from the to time

well worth doing.

• Like 1

I haven't ordered that dual scale yet but I probably will soon.  Last week, when the battery died on mine, I realized how dependent I am on it. I couldn't find the battery at a few local places and could have driven around to a few more but I ended up just ordering from Amazon so I was without a scale for ~2 days.  I managed to make a fine batch of flatbreads using measuring cups and eyeballing the size of the individual breads instead of weighing but I felt quite handicapped so I think a back-up is in order!   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm using a My Weigh ultraship scale I bought 15 years ago (great except that it uses C batteries and doesn't seem to turn off automatically) in combination with a cheap, tiny .1 gram scale for small amounts.

I don't really see the point in having them integrated if they are still two separate pads on the scale.

Edit: it just occurred to me that the ultraship scale must have an optional auto off more so I googled the manual and sure enough. I'm not sure why I didn't do that earlier.

Edited by gastropod (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gastropod said:

I don't really see the point in having them integrated if they are still two separate pads on the scale.

Right now, I have my regular scale on the counter all the time but I keep the small one in its little case in the cupboard so the integrated unit seems like it might be handy.  

Obviously, I could just be daring and keep the little one out on the counter with no case to protect it but my birthday is coming up so why not buy myself a new toy 🙃

• Like 2

Long ago I bought a Kamerstein digital scale (n Costco, I think) on a whim and then discovered just how useful it is. Takes a standard 9-volt battery, is compact (fits in a drawer), has all the right functions, measures to 0.1 grams (pounds, ounces, kilograms and grams), and is of course indispensable when baking. I also use it for a lot of other purposes, such as when a recipe calls for 8 oz. of pasta, but the bag/box contains 16 oz. I never imagined, in those old days making cookies, that I would be annoyed when the recipe is in volume measurements instead of weight. How long will it take before the people who write and publish these recipes finally consider using both volume and weight measurements? More and more do, I admit, but it's not universal.

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

On 6/2/2024 at 12:30 PM, rotuts said:

@Smithy

\

fantastic.   

Ill await your review , w possibly a few pics .

their was a video on Amazon , someone taking it out of the box , 

showing it working.

it must have been used a while ( fine )  but it wasn't ' buffed ' up

this sort if item has its standards.

my plastic does get taken care off .

its one level below an item that asks for buffing , from the to time

well worth doing.

Here it is: my KitchenAid KQ909 Dual Platform Digital Kitchen and Food Scale, 11 pound capacity and Precision 16oz capacity (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). The box arrived the other day:

20240606_084249.jpg

...and I finally had time to open and play with it. Pretty, isn't it?

20240606_084412.jpg

Someone noted uptopic that they didn't see the point of having two separate scales if they're integrated into the same platform but the weights can't be added together. Although I understand that sentiment, it doesn't matter to me as much as the ability to weigh small amounts of something and add them to larger amounts. At 10-1/2" x 6-3/4" x 1" it has a smaller footprint than a piece of office paper, and is slim enough to fit into one of my gadget drawers.

The screen is very bright and easy to read. That's a plus for me; I'm used to needing a penlight to read my scales even in bright light, but I won't need it for this one. The screen automatically reads whichever pad is being used. Note that there's more precision for the smaller scale than on the larger scale. That's no surprise, really; but it's nice to see.

20240607_142439.jpg

The other thing that makes this easier to use is the size of the larger platform. For comparison's sake, I've parked my existing (and trusty) Salter scale atop the larger platform of the KitchenAid scale. Most of my mixing bowls overhang the screen on the Salter and make it difficult to read. The screen on this scale is out in the clear and less likely to be blocked from view. Another scale discussed above, with a pull-out pad, eliminates that problem but I wasn't in a buying mood when I looked at it.

20240606_084613.jpg

For $33, I'm keeping this scale. I think it's going to work very well for me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I like the idea, and I'm glad that mainstream companies are taking scales seriously. I'm just hoping they did the smart thing and made the small platform significantly lower than the big one. Because you want to be able to weigh things in a big pan, or sometimes even a sheet pan. Not going to be easy if the .001g platform is at the same level. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Notes from the underbelly

@paulraphael

excellent point.

Im guessing that if you want to weigh something large

like a sheet pan , on this scale , you would have to ' turn ' the pan

so that the longer dimension is ' up and down ' in relation to the readings 

so that you can see them . rather than l to right , covering the reading ?

interesting  problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I like the idea, and I'm glad that mainstream companies are taking scales seriously. I'm just hoping they did the smart thing and made the small platform significantly lower than the big one. Because you want to be able to weigh things in a big pan, or sometimes even a sheet pan. Not going to be easy if the .001g platform is at the same level. 

Dingdangit, I didn't think of that! No, they're the same level. A good workaround will be to put some sort of support -- a coffee can lid, or a salad plate, for example -- on the larger platform, then tare it out and use it as the support for the pan or bowl.

It's possible the designers thought there might be times that either platform would need a "boost" so they kept them the same height. I suspect it was more for aesthetics.

• Like 2