• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional housewarming food gifts

Fat Guy

In my culture (European-derived American-Jewish) we have a tradition of giving bread, salt and wine as a housewarming gift:

Bread so you'll never go hungry

Salt so you'll have good luck

Wine so you'll never be thirsty

I believe it's derived from a German custom, and I know variants are in play all around.

What are some other housewarming food gifts you all know about? Or great ideas? Some of our closest family-like friends just moved into a new house and we're heading there soon.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My ex M-I-L brought salt and a broom to our first apartment, the broom was to sweep away the past to let the future in. I had no idea what the salt was for but I brought a box to our friends new house last summer, he had no idea either but it got to be the first thing in the cabinet.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Isn't there some tradition in which you give a pineapple?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Isn't there some tradition in which you give a pineapple?

I've never heard of giving a pineapple. I think the tradition of the pineapple is the other way around. It's a symbol of hospitality and welcome. I think it started in the Caribbean, or in seafaring communities. Not sure exactly when or how, but if you have a pineapple out, say on your front porch or a pillar by the front gate or something, that means you are home and welcoming guests.

Someone once told me (although I don't know that it has any bearing in fact) that in the olden days, sailors often brought pineapples back from tropical locations, and they'd impale one on a nail on the post by their front gate to let everyone in the neighborhood know they were home from sea and that it would be a good time to drop by.

Whatever the origin, you often see pineapples carved into various front door decorations in the south. And at Christmastime, many people use a pineapple as the centerpiece of a wreath near their entrance-way, or on a garland framing the front door.

It means you are welcome here, friend. Come on in.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I don't think it's a tradition in the same sense, but I once was advised that a bottle of Crown Royal (this is Texas, after all--but I'd prefer to give or receive Bourbon) and a Scrabble set was a perfect housewarming gift.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

In my Italian-American Family we always bring the following 4 items to a relative or friend who has moved to a new house (own or rent):

Bread: il pane - the staff of life, symbolizes basic sustenance

Salt: il sale - symbolizes the extra zest needed to lift life from the ordinary.

(In Italy, salt was taxed and only those who could afford it were able to have "tasty" seasoned food) In fact, my great-great grandmother was sent to "jail" for 6 weeks for stealing some salt water. In reality she had to live and cook for the man in charge of the jail and was permitted to take her nursing baby with her!)

Wine - il vino - symbolizes joy and happiness, celebration and good wishes.

Broom - la scopa - symbolizes the "clean sweep" of sweeping out the old baggage, old problems, negative emotions (that may be left behind by previous owners).

Each item has a little card tied to it, with the above info as well as a "May you have...." wish on it.

I have given this so many times, especially to my sons when they move from apartment to apartment that it got the point that when they were planning the move, they'd say "Yes, moving can be expensive, but at least I know Mom is buying me a new broom!"

Patricia

Edited by pedie (log)

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

I don't know that there's any particular tradition behind it, but my mom always gave sourdough starter and some homemade jam.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

To me, nothing says "You're a slob" like receiving a broom.

I'd go with bourbon, sourdough starter, two cases of IPA, and a couple quaaludes.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

A pound cake is a popular housewarming gift.

Yes, I've often done a pound cake. With a few side bottles of a couple of different tasty sauces - raspberry or blueberry, chocolate, praline, etc.

Maybe not a "custom" anywhere, at least not that I know of, but always well-received.

And seems a bit more imaginative than the ubiquitous plate of cookies.

One of the least-gracious 'welcome to the neighborhood we're glad you're here' gifts I ever heard of was given to my friend Sandy and her family. The lady across the street brought over a half of a peach pie. The pie was still in the glass baking pan. Pretty unsightly with half of the pie scooped out.

"I thought I'd bring you over a peach pie," the lady said. "But peach is my husband's favorite, so I thought you wouldn't mind if I kept half for him."

Needless to say, Sandy and the neighborhood lady never became close friends.

But the rest of us all got a good laugh, which in the end, was probably far better than a peach pie.

Even a whole one.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yes, The pineapple is a more "Thanks for coming."

At least here in N.E.Ohio.

I have always welcomed new neighbors with brownies. Can't go wrong type of thing, who the hell doesn't like bronwnies???? WHO? :laugh:

---------------------------------------

In New England, under the assumption that people are unpacking and too busy and exhausted to cook, we always brought a meal--usually a casserole or stew and some homemade bread and a dessert, usually brownies or a simple cake, but if it was a really good friend,and summer, lobsters (already boiled) or lobster salad, French rolls, champagne, berries, chocolate truffles.

After reviewing most of these answers, doing some Googling, and comparing all that to availability at the stores we had access to on the way to our friends' place, we decided on:

- Chocolate-covered almonds. It seems there are several traditional housewarming gifts, e.g., sugar, honey, that are in the category of "something sweet."

- Candles. We got a hurricane-type glass and used it to present the chocolate-covered almonds. When the almonds are gone the glass holds votives. Candles popped up as traditional housewarming gifts in many cultures.

- Salt. This seemed de rigueur in all the literature. We got some nice Mediterranean sea salt in a grinder.

- Bread. Ditto. Got a couple of nice artisan loaves.

- A pineapple. Because it just felt right.

And we took them out for dinner.

I'd still go with prescription pain relievers for the "after-moving" aches and pains. But, in retrospect, if people want them, they're not all that hard to find.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

In my culture (European-derived American-Jewish) we have a tradition of giving bread, salt and wine as a housewarming gift:

Bread so you'll never go hungry

Salt so you'll have good luck

Wine so you'll never be thirsty

I believe it's derived from a German custom, and I know variants are in play all around.

What are some other housewarming food gifts you all know about? Or great ideas? Some of our closest family-like friends just moved into a new house and we're heading there soon.

Not Jewish, but we always did this same package with the addition of matches, so that there would always be warmth/ a fire in the hearth.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

My Japanese sister-in-law is moving into a new house in early February and the local tradition is to eat udon noodle in the large bathroom. Japanese bathroom are pretty big and my wife told me that people in her area do this after a new house is built.

I don't know if it's a regular thing outside of Mizushima where my wife lives, but it should be a lot of fun.

In Japan, the person moving into a new house needs to bring small gift to the neighbors, a fellow teacher suggested soba noodles but my wife bought packs of Saran Wrap.

Offering a bottle of sake is also considered a nice housewarming gift.

Sake is also part of a special shinto ceremony performed when the new house is built.

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com