• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek food in Manhattan

Steamtrain

I haven't been in a long time, but Molyvos was top notch last time I ate there. Not inexpensive, but very well prepared Greek specialties and an excellent wine list with some interesting Greek wines available that are reasonably priced.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Does it HAVE to be in Manhattan? Astoria is THE Greek place to to, near Long Island city. I forget the subway, but there is one that's on Broadway and Steinway street. Maybe the N or R train. That's Broadway in Astoria, not in Manhattan.

Go to Titain, on 31st street is the BEST place for all things Greek http://www.yelp.com/biz/titan-foods-inc-astoria

And if you walk along 31st street, there are loads of restaurants.

Susan

There is already a thread for best greek food in Astoria so, yes, please keep it in Manhattan.

This comment made me curious about Manhattan.

Although pricier, I've been having much better Greek food in Manhattan at the semi-upscale places at the Avra level. I'll probably lose my Chowhound membership card for sure by saying this, but I'd happily pit the top Manhattan Greek restaurants against those in Astoria. The only arguments right now for Astoria, as far as I'm concerned, have to do with price and vibe. The food is better in Manhattan.

Tough to compare the old school traditional Greeks of Astoria with the semi-recent crop of high end nouveaus in Manhattan. Of the most modern and noteworthy, I believe Anthos would top the list. I haven’t been so I couldn’t tell you. (There’s a thread on eg for sure). You may have heard of the chef/proprietor, Michael Psilakis. He’s been quite busy building/re-building his empire. One of his places I know well is Kefi. I’ve always had good to very good meals. The shrimp orzo and rabbit parpadelle are excellent and the price point can’t be beat. I would check out both of these places if you’re seeking the latest on new Greek.

That wasn't chicken

• 3 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, it's really important to distinguis between fancy or nouvelle Greek and more traditional places. Manhattan isn't really a great place for down and dirty homestyle Greek food, but in the fancier realm, Anthos and Molyvos (already mentioned) are quite good. Another sleeper in the fancy Greek realm used to be Thalassa in Tribeca, though I haven't been in quite a while, so can't guarantee that it's still good.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went back to Pylos recently with my girlfriend. We got a couple of mezedes (she particularly liked the octopus, which she had never had so tender) and perfect Greek comfort food: Moussaka for her and Pastitsio for me. We shared, and both were thoroughly pleasant. Because of how we ordered, it didn't even cost much - probably about on part with Kefi.

Michael aka "Pan"

Without hesitation, Anthos. Their tasting menu is outstanding, but if its one dish you're after, their Sheeps Milk Gnudi are sensational. To compare the Greek restaurants in Astoria to Anthos is kind of a joke.

Among the classic Greek places in Manhattan, I can heartily recommend the Chargrilled Octopus and Lamb Chops at Periyali. Not much else I would eat there though.