• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Restaurants of the Past

NJ2FLA

J. Scotts in Red Bank

Mumfords in Monmouth Beach

Sweet Haven in the Galleria, Red Bank

Farmingdale House, Farmingdale

Santa Fe Cafe, Freehold

Bistro Zeeto, Atlantic Highlands

Max's Hot Dogs, on the boardwalk in Long Branch (Like my innocence, boardwalk gone.)

Arturo's Pizza, Eatontown

I had forgoten all about it...............

I loved that PLACE! Crispy hot dogs, the crushed ice for cold drinks, oh and the Haunted Mansion.

Max's Hot Dogs, on the boardwalk in Long Branch (Like my innocence, boardwalk gone.)

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Canton Tea Gardens--Jersey City

Liss Drug Store--Jersey City

Weequaic Diner--Newark

Liss Drug Store--Jersey City

I can't place it, was this on Newark ave.

Edited by chefreit (log)

Some great hot dog places of the past-- can't be on the hot dog run anymore, but we can dream:

Tippy's, Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City Heights

Lantern, Route 46 East, Little Falls

Tippy's, Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City Heights

You could smell the char-broiled bugers for blocks. ummmmmmmmm :wub:

Many are missed but the most lamented is Yves, formerly of Montclair.

Unfortunately, I've lost track of chef/owner Patrick Yves Pierre-Jerome.

Does anyone know where he's working at this point?

I think you can find Yves at Stage Left in New Brunswick, unless he left there also...

Edited by menton1 (log)

I think you can find Yves at Stage Left in New Brunswick, unless he left there also...

Yves left Stage Left for the country club; which I think was one of the two venues in Summit. Francis told us at the time that Yves wanted to spend more time with his family.

Has anyone out there eaten at Napoli Napoli in the past? It was on Main Street in Little Falls at the beginning of the main strip that had Stanton Drugs. The food was absolutely spectacular! Since it was BYO, we would end each meal sitting with the owner and 2 waitstaff drinking Renwood ice zinfandel dessert wine past closing.

The owner sold it to a German chef who studied in Italy about 4-5 years ago. I can't recall the current name. We tried it once, but after the hair in my salad, we decided it just wasn't going to cut it. It's still there, but...

We were told that the original owner opened a restaurant in Lodi, but we haven't been there. It's been a few years and don't even know if it is still there or what the name of it is. If anyone knows, please let me know.

• 1 month later...
Just found this thread in a search...

Lou's of Ventnor, on Ventnor Ave. at Nashville?  I spent my summers as a kid walking around in their free t-shirts.

I remember Lou's! My family used to go there all the time, when I was growing up in Margate. Also there was another sandwich shop in Margate - I forget the original name but it became Arnie's for many years. And there was Annette's in Ventnor Heights (with the huge sandwiches).

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Also there was another sandwich shop in Margate - I forget the original name but it became Arnie's for many years. 

I remember! It was called "Kramer's"

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

How about the Toddle House on the Boardwalk in AC, a few doors down from the "Playcade" arcade? I believe I had a hot dog from there every night on "the boards," but was too young to appreciate the Taylor Pork Roll.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Talk about memories!!!! I just sat and read through this entire thread. I, too, remember Bonvini's and Poor Henry's.

But, as a child, my parents used to take me to a place called "bundle of rubble." I think it was on Paterson Plank Road????? Not certain. I remember they had a slaw there that I loved. Don't remember much about the rest of their food and do not remember what town....... But as with many of you, it sticks in my mind and will probably be there forever....

I also remember "ed and tony's" on Ridgedale in, I think, East Hanover??? Very inexpensive, quick place for lunch when at work.

Happy Easter everyone!

Talk about memories!!!!  I just sat and read through this entire thread.  I, too, remember Bonvini's and Poor Henry's.

But, as a child, my parents used to take me to a place called "bundle of rubble."  I think it was on Paterson Plank Road?????  Not certain.  I remember they had a slaw there that I loved.  Don't remember much about the rest of their food and do not remember what town.......  But as with many of you, it sticks in my mind and will probably be there forever....

I also remember "ed and tony's" on Ridgedale in, I think, East Hanover???  Very inexpensive, quick place for lunch when at work.

Happy Easter everyone!

It was Joe Francesco's(or something similar) Bundle of Rubble on Passaic Avenue in Fairfield right before the Route 46 crossover.

Ed and Tony's was on Ridgedale Ave. in a small strip of stores including Cumberland Farms and Al & Lou's Auto. It was the first real pizzeria in East Hanover - somewhat puzzling that it took so long to get one considering that the population was about 30% Italian. (Prior to that there was the Maple Something-or Other where rumor had it the proprietor was seen loading up on frozen pizzas at Ross's Foodtown)

Pantano's in Elmwood Park. Nino's in there now..across from Marcal. I have the FONDEST childhood memories of this place. Hell, if you can get a 5 year to eat Pesto, you must be doing something right.

Also, I R.I.P. to Roberto's II in Edgewater..well..at least when my father was the head chef. The quality hasnt been the same since he left IMO. But I may be biased :)